edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 03:45 pm
Because I could not trust the computer to retain a copy of my book, I printed the whole thing and then began to correct it by retyping every word. I also put in a disc to copy each step of the revision. It proved to be incredibly hard and I quickly bogged down, losing nearly all momentum. Sometimes I would hit a snag, then ponder a couple of days before moving forward again. Yesterday I made the decision to upload the non revised portions, attached directly at the end of the completed portion. It just took a few minutes to realize that by typing every word, as I had been doing, I was essentially rewriting the entire manuscript. For, I questioned each sentence, each word, and ended doing the same work all over again. Now I keep in whole paragraphs I
would have recomposed the other way. Since putting it on the computer, I have begun making adequate progress.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2016 03:46 pm
bump
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:26 pm
Yesterday evening, my toilet quit flushing. I could tell the line beyond it was clogged, because whenever I pulled the handle, water went through it and began backing up into the shower. Plunging did no good. Liquid clog busters did no good. Next morning, I drove around, until I found an auger with a six foot cable and augered it three times. Still no success. I plunged it with all my might numerous times. Put in the strongest chemicals I could find. Plunged with all my might numerous times. Put a heavy weight over the shower drain to stop water from moving in that direction. Plunged with all my might numerous times. Decided to go under the house, with the intent to cut the pipe and clean it out. Anybody that has ever owned an old mobile home knows an old man such as myself is not going to get all the way under there and dig pipes out of the dirt and cut fiberglass insulation to see where the shower drain is joined to the main line. Decided that taking the toilet up from the floor was the way to go. But, the drawback there was the need to rebuild the floor afterwards, plus the fact that the cutoff valve, though it turned freely and snugged up nicely, did not cut off the water. A major project, with no toilet for the duration. I sat down and watched the movie, Lilo and Stitch. Then I went to the toilet and plunged it like a total maniac. Sudden success. The toilet now flushes like a charm. I did essential cleanup and left the rest for in the morning. Elapsed time of successful repair: nine hours.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was nice to hear; it was a good 'ending.' Success is always met with pride and joy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:04 pm
mrs edgarblythe was pretty happy about it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 06:27 am
Somewhere in Texas, a small furry creature is swimming around in a sewage
treat facility saying "What the hell just happened?"
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 07:20 am
@George,
I suspect it was a plastic something, as I had visitors just a day before.
George

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Sounds more likely.

Glad to hear that now panta rei (everything flows) as the philosopher said.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 07:26 am
@George,
I still have some mess to clean in a few minutes, but I feel so much better.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:14 am
@edgarblythe,
That reminds me of this that happened to me, buying a brand new toilet for the bathroom when I just moved to Albuquerque -

http://able2know.org/topic/216755-1#post-5783502

In retrospect, I think I remember that the cardboard box was retaped somehow, at the time it was delivered.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:26 am
Those companies are bad about reselling returned items. The same thing happened to me with a sliding miter saw, from Lowe's. It stuck and would not slide. I didn't notice the package had previously been opened while at the store.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 02:48 pm
I collapsed all the religion, science threads, temporarily. The material being covered has been covered as long as this site has existed. Time for a break.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I do that re religion threads. I do read science threads but that can mean that I thumb down the anti science blowhards, at least part of the time, especially if they are off topic.

I don't thumb down posts all that often, usually either argue or just leave or sail someone onto ignore, but in the case of some of our people who know science, I want to listen to them and learn and I don't like what I consider lengthy and ignorant disruption on threads the scientists started. Soon enough, I use ignore, and still read what the scientists say.

Adds, if the anti science person started the thread, I don't interfere.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
We have some knowledgeable science people here, so I will eventually catch up with them. Just tired of the endless assault using word for word identical arguments against knowledge.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
I relate.
0 Replies

usmanbin

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 10:11 pm
I think I should go from here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 07:19 am
Tak's birthday. He is 81, I think. Happy birthday, friend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 07:39 pm
I almost missed my rendezvous with Tak and PDiddie, a few years back. I made a mistake on the road and ended up on a long journey on the freeway. When finally I got there, we had a nice dinner and then went to a museum. PDiddie had to get home and Tak had to drive to Austin, so we had a fairly short get together. But I treasure the moments.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 08:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
That was a nice get together. One of the few times my son met up with a2kers. It was also nice to meet up with another friend, Connie.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember Connie, but I did not know her.
0 Replies