edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 09:22 pm
I've been much more physically active lately. On days I don't do a lot, I ride the excercycle type machine, lift some weights and work a hand exerciser. Not to excess, but enough to get the old muscles moving. Already feel much better.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 05:52 pm
Now that I have voted, I quit watching political ads and following polls. All I want now is the result.

I spent most of the morning building two long sawhorses for the projects I hope to start. Western themes are very popular with many Texans. My first projects are some silhouette figures, made with fence pickets. The first one depicts the famous American Indian statue, The End of the Trail." One version will be about 8'X8'. The second version will be half that size. I drew the outline of the small one on half a sheet of plywood this afternoon. It will be fun, after I clean it up a bit, cutting it out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:59 pm
After I cut out my plywood pattern for the End of the Trail project, I felt dissatisfied, looking at it. Thinking I ought to redo it. Oh me. Plywood is expensive. Perhaps I can keep the parts I like and make corrections to the parts I don't like, by cutting alternate sections. The head is actually the main thing to change.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 06:47 pm
Spent much of the day mowing and making final preparations to hang my new gates. May hang them tomorrow. If not, it will wait until at least Wednesday. The weather is great for outdoor activity. Dry and tomorrow's temp will not break 70.

I locked the gate to keep stray trick or treaters from opening it and letting Rocky out. Kids go to more affluent neighborhoods, but some of the new ones might try here first. I would love to participate, but it just doesn't work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 08:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
The trick or treaters have been out in droves this evening. It hasn't been this busy for at least a decade or so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 08:48 pm
I signed up for nanowrimo - Write the first draft of a novel in one month. 50,000 words. I did that, because I am notoriously slow. Hopefully the pressure will speed me up. The site information says that even if I don't make the deadline, I will still have a novel, in the end. So, there are no losers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:29 pm
Writing under pressure sped me up quite a bit. But I still don't expect to get the full 50000 words on time. Still a great experience.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:04 pm
It has rained almost all day long and still continues to come down. I had to make my own exercise, as there was no way to pursue any of my projects. I dug up roots of thorn vines in the far back yard, in one brief dry spot. These vines grow off a root that can resemble a skinless potato and they grow straight up, sometimes on trees, often standing alone. The roots are shallow and usually easy to dig up. The ones today were protected by a fence and a pine tree. It took much persistence to dig and pry them out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:37 pm
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTccpqhst3AmKpNOV0A9s8XPIzZDCfFDKLvd1aA9EeoHm5_ZOKT
http://theprayinglife.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/briarpatch2.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:44 pm
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/k09z9p.NWTqYZsC4UwyxSw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE3MjtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/ga141106.gif
Germlat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had to have a little energy before cooking dinner for the millionth time on my life(exciting right?) That just gave me the energy I needed. Thanks for the laugh!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Eeeeeek!!!!!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Those things are pretty common in east Texas. Some patches of woods have them growing so closely together that only a fool would venture in.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:57 pm
Today was a wash. Sure I cleared out more brush in the back yard, bought some stuff at Lowes, and cleaned the shower. But, mostly, lazed around. Didn't work on my manuscript until a few minutes ago.

I read that drinking tart cherry juice, after two weeks, makes you sleep longer. That's a new one for me. I think I will google that tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I feel like I've either seen the vine or read about it (more likely) but am blank on what it is. Looks like trouble to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I have the vines pretty much gone from that site. Further in the back there will be more, later on. I am going down the fence line, cutting out the yaupons and digging out the vines and poison ivy. It will take lots of the winter. I don't mess with it during hot weather.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2014 07:39 am
It occurred to my dog Rocky that humans are not the only ones that can push up the latch to open the gate. We now use the padlock, always.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:07 pm
The next few weeks on the job should be interesting. The lead man put in his two weeks notice last Tuesday. The other full time man is mainly a make ready man. He doesn't know a lot, re maintenance. Meaning, they will want to shove the work orders on me. Also, I expect to be asked to take after hours calls. I will do my best to help out, but they better not expect too much.

Some school kids play with Rocky through the fence some mornings. I don't really want them to, but I don't want to turn their thoughts to throwing rocks at the grouchy old man's dog. As long as they don't climb the fence or otherwise damage it, I won't take any action.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 10:18 pm
I have fallen seriously behind in the November novel writing contest. But, I am making the best progress I have made in a couple of months, so it is helping.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 04:24 pm
This is the sort of construction all around us, of late. This shot is just a bit north of us, but it is representative.
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/26/12/70/5811773/3/960x540.jpg