One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 11:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Drinking kills your brain cells. Perhaps we're on different frequencies because of the difference between our liquid intake.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:14 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10620748_795830650440446_1568535008305830220_n.jpg?oh=fa9d827380f458b25cf442bdc53f4f54&oe=54CFCB02&__gda__=1422024587_3c2b251fb8c85270250adff36460c69b
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Lone Star Beer, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz - These are some of the brands just bought by a Russian company. I don't think I like that. Miller, anyone?

I'm surprised the Russian Co. bought those beer companies. Was it recent or did it happen a while ago. I thought sanctions had recently curtailed many ventures. Pabst and Schlitz were brewed in Maryland originally, and Carling Brewery had a beautiful brewery on the Baltimore Beltway that opened maybe in the 50's. There was a huge still displayed in a glass room visible from the Beltway, it was a fabulous sight. Carlings is long gone, I think the building is still there, but I don't know what kind of business it is.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:47 pm
@glitterbag,
It just happened this month. Here is a link
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/19/pabst-blue-ribbon-bought-by-russian-beverage-company/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2014 07:57 pm
We driv around the area to look at how new road construction is going, today. Between turning the highway to Magnolia into a massive toll road and bringing the new Grand Parkway across our area, they have one colossal mess. Along the Grand Parkway route, they are constructing a four story apartment complex, with lots of buildings in it. I don't know of any bigger such projects on this side of town. They better make more new roads than that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 02:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi edgar, We're on our way to St John's in Newfoundland. Then one day of crusing before we hit Halifax (where I visited last year) the onto to NYC for two nights. Been a very relaxing cruise with visits to some new places for me. That half the time is spent on the sea is okay with me! Rest and recouperation is what the 'doctor' ordered.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is nothing in the world beats moving over the ocean, with nothing pressing in the works. Good on you, CI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 08:57 pm
I would like to try this, but I will never pay for the ingredients he calls for:

Lightening up your coffee with a little cream and sugar is so 2013. Those on-trend (from Ed Sheeran to players on the L.A. Lakers) are instead blending their morning cup with a serving of butter.

Why? "It makes for the creamiest, most satisfying cup of coffee you’ve ever had," Dave Asprey writes on his website. He's the creator of Bulletproof Coffee, the small company credited for popularizing the concoction. The tech-investor attributes a high-fat diet to his 80-pound weight loss. And beyond taste, Asprey says this buttery drink provides all of the energizing benefits of a cup of coffee, without the four o'clock slump. Bulletproof believers insist that the butter's high-fat content will slow the time it takes for your body to metabolize the coffee's caffeine. In other words, increased energy, decreased crash.

But you can't just slice off a square of the same Land O'Lakes spread you use to butter toast and plop it in your Folgers. Bulletproof's process and ingredients are incredibly specific: Grass-fed butter, upgraded coffee beans and brain octane oil are blended to produce the drink that looks more like a latte. Asprey says cheap coffee and butter just won't cut it. "You will not get the satisfying, lack of food cravings effect or the mental clarity."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/butter-in-coffee-bulletproof_n_5851456.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 08:00 pm
I consistently tell mrs edgarblythe my mechanic work is not good enough for me to do my own repairs. If Murphy can **** it up for me, he will. Not many days back, I did a half replace of transmission fluid in the car. It was my plan to drive a few weeks like that and do another change. Then do the same ever so often. And, I did it. The car was doing fine, until I reached the backed up three way stop on the outskirts of Tomball. The transmission stopped moving the car. If I had been another twenty feet up the road, I would have stalled in bumper to bumper traffic. But I gunned the engine and the transmission caught hold enough to propel me to a gravel drive, where big rigs come and go all the time. It is a space more than large enough for tanker trucks to turn around, so, I was not in fear of getting towed, or whatever they do when blocked. I could see by the trail on the road behind me that the pan plug had fallen out of its hole and allowed the fluid to run out. I thought I got it tight, but I didn't. So, I had to walk to mrs edgarblythe's place of employment - the easiest option, in my view. I took the truck and went to Charlie's Used Parts to buy a plug, then purchased eight quarts of transmission fluid. To shorten my tale a bit, I got the new plug and fluid in and a man I work with helped me get it to the job. Fortunately, the car still runs good. I save money when I pay a pro to do the mechanic work, I don't care what others may say. I ended not working today, because it took so long to do all of this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 06:21 pm
Doing roof repair today, I concluded that I should probably quit getting so high off the ground. We'll see.

I signed up to participate in the Writer's Digest writers forum and now they are filling my inbox with spam. I hate to block them. I guess deleting is the best option for now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:01 pm
I watched three police cars move in on the neighbors' house again. It took about ten minutes to bring out a guy in handcuffs and for them all to leave. I keep wishing they would get discouraged and move out of the neighborhood.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mebbe he now has a new residence at county jail?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:10 pm
@Ragman,
I'm pretty sure he was arrested last time around.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 09:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hey Edgar, I'm a tad behind the curve, and I just read (had to read it three times) the coffee story with butter and brain octane oil. So, I understand the special grass fed cow produced butter, but what is brain octane oil??? I'm stumped, is this some new age indigo children sort of concept.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 09:34 pm
@glitterbag,
It must be something the guy originated himself, as I never heard of it before.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 09:27 am
https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/
Here is one link to the coffee described in my earlier post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 07:22 pm
Saw a couple of red wasps coming and going from the barbecue pit. I didn't have wasp spray handy. Blasted in WD-40, after closing some of the holes. All it did was rile them up. But, they sleep at night. I am about to buy a can of spray and hit them again.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've never seen red wasps, but I'd hightail it to the store and get a can of Raid's hornet/wasp spay, the kind that lets you blast them from a safe distance. The can instructions will tell you to cover cooking surfaces. Since the little hot heads are in the BBQ pit, that might be a problem if you don't clean it thoroughly after you kill the wasps. Please be careful, they are very determined.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yikes Edgar, I just looked up red wasps, those little buggars are better organized and more committed than the black wasps around here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:28 pm
A nest of riled red wasps will attack long after you have forgotten an incident. My wife and I went to dinner a few hours later and the wasps were swarming outside the pit. Some came our way, but we hopped in the truck. One managed to get in, but I rolled down the window and it went back out. In the past, I have been stung just walking down the sidewalk. Several years ago, I was sweeping off a patio. Not bumping things or being loud. Red wasps began coming at me and I ducked inside. Through the glass I watched them hitting everything on the patio, even paint spots. After a time, I had to call my fellow worker to bring some poison and rescue me. I just finished spraying the pit, inside and out. At first, I hit all the holes. Then flipped the lid on the ground. Then I sprayed all over inside both parts. I suspect that old pit will be riding a certain truck to the dump in a few days. (Before commencing that operation, I locked Rocky in the house.)