JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed: Kevin Trudeau is getting ten years in the pen. If he got punished for his worst transgressions, he would get more time than that.
---------

And George and dick get pensions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:33 pm
@Letty,
Well, okay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 05:09 am
Until yesterday, I was happy with the postal service. Then, I learned that the delivery person had my package on March 3rd, but took it back to the post office, without attempting to let me sign for it and without giving me a notice to pick it up. I went in the post office, thirty minutes after the time they dispense packages through the window. They made me stand there almost an hour before opening up and only after a fellow customer began beating the door with a fist. mrs edgarblythe gave the carrier an earful and I made sure the lady in the window knew my position. I know it all could be repeated next time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 05:28 am
http://www.thealmagest.com/if-you-believe-in-medical-conspiracy-theories-you-are-not-alone/11383
Approximately 50% of America’s adult population believes in some kind of medical conspiracy theory. This is according to a survey conducted by the University of Chicago. It was a study conducted on 1,251 adults where six of the most popular medical conspiracy theories were run by them. They were asked to either agree or disagree with them. The theories were some of the common ones like the U.S. government regulating the control of information for people to find natural cures or the fact that the government knows that cell phones are carcinogenic yet do nothing about it.

In the survey, approximately forty-nine percent of the participants agreed with at least one of the popular medical conspiracy theories. All these theories came with distrust towards the government or even multi-billion dollar corporations. The study was lead by J. Eric Oliver, a professor of political science at the University of Chicago. He has a theory of his own about people believing in medical conspiracy theories. He says it makes it easier for people to comprehend, rather than understanding the science behind it. He even added that these people who believe in such medical conspiracy theories were all likely to turn to alternative medicine instead of conventional medicine. “These narratives seem like very compelling explanations for complicated situations,” Oliver said.

It is interesting to note that one of the most endorsed theories of them was the belief that the FDA is “deliberately preventing the public from getting natural cures for cancer and other diseases because of pressure from drug companies.” Around 37% of those who were subjected to this survey believed in this theory. On the other hand 26% of people agreed with – “Health officials know that cell phones cause cancer but are doing nothing to stop it because large corporations won’t let them.” The theory on the ignored connection between too many vaccination shots and autism, which is denied by researchers, was supported by 20% of participants.

Researcher, Eric Oliver study lead to the conclusion that, “We see that Americans have conspiracy theories about a lot of things, not just about politics, but also about health and medicine as well.” He even stated that people have the inclination to fabricate the idea of malicious forces being behind the ‘unknown’. Oliver went on to explain that we, as humans, were hardwired to be weary of the unknown. If we were to hear a noise emitting from a dark room we would mostly likely think that there were paranormal forces at play or even an intruder in the room.

Doctors on the other hand look at it from a different point of view. They believe that these perspectives on medical conspiracy theories could make people indifferent or even hostile towards medical treatments. Those who swore by a medical conspiracy are less likely to accept flu shots or even take appropriate conventional medication. Oliver has advocated the initiative to educate people and help them better understand scientific information.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 06:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Have you read Ivan Illich's Medical Nemesis ed?

Quote:
Iatrogenesis or iatrogenic effect, (/aɪˌætroʊˈdʒɛnɪk/; "originating from a physician") is preventable harm resulting from medical treatment or advice to patients. Professionals who may sometimes cause harm to patients are: physicians; pharmacists; nurses; dentists, psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists. Iatrogenesis can also result from complementary and alternative medicine treatments.

In the United States an estimated 225,000 deaths per year have iatrogenic causes, with only heart disease and cancer causing more deaths.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 06:46 am
@edgarblythe,
"Trust, but verify"
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:58 am
@Ragman,
What a mushy idea. Trust means no verifications necessary.

Who is asked to verify?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 08:19 am
Like i've said before, THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for looking up all sorts of illnesses!
There are even online discussion groups where people with a particular ailment can compare notes.
As a result we end up knowing more about it than the quacks and can keep tabs on whether they're diagnosing us correctly and giving us the right treatment and meds.
For example when my elderly mothers thyroid packed up 15 years ago and she went into "myxodaemia coma", the hospital medics said it might be best to just let her slip away, and I agreed, so they witheld medication and she died a couple of days later.
That was before I had an internet connection, but after looking up the symptoms and everything on the net years later, I'm wondering why they didn't give her thyroxine to bring her out of the coma?
Too late now of course..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 09:39 am
@Ragman,
I don't believe the average doctor is out to fool us, but the big money, in my less than humble opinion, is as rotten as the state of Denmark.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:14 am
Torn between tidying the yard and beginning work on the ramp this morning.

I hope, when they bring up the orange black box from the Malaysian airliner, that it proves an accident and not criminal action. It would be a good thing if some of the tension in the world could be reduced.

Last night, I saw a dog on the moon. It was wandering near the disabled Chinese rover. It too was named Rover.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:32 am
@edgarblythe,
We're in agreement about this and other medical industry issues. I thought it was a thought-provoking article - stirring the pot, so to speak. It makes me think of the 'Gerry McGuire' movie quote, "Show me the money!"
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:37 am
@Ragman,
Yes, it shows that people are more aware and searching than I had dared believe. The same forces that have perverted our politics want our medical money, also. That's not hard to see. A simple proof is to watch TV for a day and take note of the designer drugs advertised all day long on there. That, and the fact they vilify some of the stuff I have used effectively for years.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:59 pm
When I mowed today, I carried a five foot stick, to use to fend off Rocky. He likes to attack the mower, by grabbing the plastic shield, the one that lets the grass fly out, with his teeth. He can drag the whole mower away, like that. The first time he got that close, I tapped his back. After that I just had to wave it, to keep him at bay. Apparently, he learned about sticks from his previous owner.
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 07:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hate to say I told ya so, Ed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 05:22 am
I almost pulled up some weeds, when I realized, they are the garlic I planted last year.

When people make the mistake of thinking atheists are all alike, they should look in on the latest atheist thread posts.

I tried to make sun tea, yesterday. My brand new jar leaked it out. Now I have to find another one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:48 am
The Texans quarterback was traded to the Raiders for a fifth round draft pick. The sportscaster said to save his memorabilia, for when he and his new team win the Superbowl. Personally, I will be surprised if he ever starts for a whole season, barring injury to the only available other quarterback.

Back in 1968, Thoreau, King and Gandhi, were a sort of trinity to the nonviolent protest movements, for civil rights and against the war. I was enamored of Walden and Civil Disobedience, but, in later years, they seem to have lost their luster. I may have to read his books again, to see where they should fit in my view of history.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Ireread Walden several times since my teenage years and.ike you, Ive hd response of something like"Is this guy a screaming idiot or what"?

Course, I thought that "Inside Llewyn Davis" was about one of the most obvious sappy movies ever made, and the fact that it was a Coen Brothers product made it even more disappointing

MYBE its the jadeite of old age that's surfacing in my demeanor.

nd on top of it all, were stuck with the same old fart team of Phillies this year.

Welcome spring
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:09 am
nd on top of it all, were stuck with the same old fart team of Phillies this year.

We got the same Astros, but at least the Texans won't have Shaub to kick around any more.
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Two hours of boredom interspersed with two seconds of excitement and y'all lap it up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I'd love to see Houston get Johnny Football. Not because of his potential greatness (though it could happen) as much as it how it can take the shine of the bright lights away from all Jones and The Dull-ass Cowgirls when he opens his lying car-salesman mouth.

I see Manziel as a possible worthwhile positive addition to the Texans, though Bartels or Hightower might be having a better long-term upside potential and better investment for top draft pick.

As for Schaub, he certainly had one bad year with some prior decent ones. He might make Raiders a better team. He might have needed a change of scenery and some better receivers.