edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A few years ago, at the apartments, mockingbirds began flying up against the backs of people's heads. I pulled down all their nests and they went away. Then bluejays moved in and began the same behavior, so I had to get their nests also.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like you would have made a better movie, "Birds." Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 02:38 pm
To me, The Birds was not an interesting movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 11:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm just letting you all know that I found my case of VCR tapes with the title of "Hollywood Greats," and "In The Early Westerns" that includes some of the very actors some of you mentioned. They include William Boyd, George Gabby Hayes, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Cecilia Parker, Forrest Taylor, Errol Flynn, Ronald Reagan, Tim McCoy, John Barclay and Ben Corbett. zzzzzzzzz........
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 05:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
They sound pretty old. As a boy, Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) and Gene Autry were my favorites.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 05:41 am
1203a. Lordy. Went to bed at nearly eleven and was wakened to go to the job at one thirty. It was a simple matter, but I did not appreciate having to do it. I guess I am outgrowing the desire to work so long and hard.
1204a. Punky is beginning to look old. I bought her some senior dog's liquid supplements to put on her food.
1205a. We had been using window air conditioners, having discovered that running two of them used less electric than the central air. But the best of the units went kerplunk yesterday. Dang it. (Pardon the foulery of my language this morning)
Ragman

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Speaking of danging, that remind me of this song:

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:13 pm
I hear tell
You're doing well
Good things do come to you
I wish I had your happiness
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:57 am
1206a. Whooey! That little storm passed through here in an hour or less. But it packed a wallop. Knocked out my neighborhood's power for 11 1/2 hours and then more than an hour later, we blacked out again. It just came back about ten minutes ago. Okay I've had enough what else can you show me?
1297a. We decided to go to Denny's for dinner, expecting the power would return before we got home. Everybody else decided to eat out at the same time. The parking lot was jamb-packed. Knowing how slow Denny's can be, we drove to Tomball, where half of the eating joints were without electric. Both chicken places were closed. We finally had us a Whataburger meal. Came home and sat on the porch. I went to bed much earlier than I wished, but at least I got, finally, to rest.
1298a. During the blackout and before we had dinner, my coworker needed help. He was replacing a water heater and broke off the drain pipes just sub floor level. It was not his fault, except he might have lost some perspective when the tank proved so full of sediment he could not get it to drain. After working his tail off to get it to move at all, he possibly just gave up on saving the pipe. The water heater cabinet had been designed to accommodate thirty two gallon water heaters. But, some genius, over twenty years ago, decreed that replacements must be forty gallons. Sometimes you have to dismantle the opening to allow one to pass through. Seventy percent of the time, the drain pipes are blocking the way. Bottom line, we have this morning to chip out enough concrete to install a new drain line.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 05:32 am
1299a. The electric problem persisted beyond my bed time last night. About once every hour, we lost power. I had to turn off my computer to protect it. I forgot to do that at the end and found this morning that it still may be happening, as the computer had rebooted.
1300a. A local man that tried the stand your ground crap as a defense for murder has been found guilty. He went out and confronted his neighbors with a gun because their party was too loud. He videotaped most of the encounter, but the actual shooting was not showed on TV. He told the partiers to keep back because "I'm in fear for my life." His video shows the neighbors being passive aggressive, which behavior serves to goad some mentally unstable persons to feel challenged to act. But it also never shows them advance in a threatening manner. He shot three, killing one. Sentencing today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 05:22 am
1301a. There is a movement afoot to get moringa trees planted in famine prone parts of the world. I looked at information on the Carter Center web site and found no mention that they are aware. So, I sent an email suggesting they look into it.
1302a. My wife's computer is giving trouble. I have taken to sharing time with her on mine.
1303a. A woman friend of mine is a militant teapartier. She is about to move off the property, but she will be near enough to come back and visit. Lately she has become more strident and I have a hard time fending off her words without getting into it with her. I was hoping she would travel farther than that.
spendius

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 06:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Lately she has become more strident

Which is particularly trying when performed with an American accent using well trodden cliches.

Maybe she's got the hots for you ed.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:19 pm
@spendius,
She is probably a good lady, but her emotions and thought processes took a bungee jump off a low bridge.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 04:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Low bridge? OUCH!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 07:45 am
1304a. With the prospect of a very rainy week ahead, I believe my moringas may drown. They are susceptible to root rot. I have decided to plant the remaining seeds in varying locations, including in pots. I need just one to survive, but I am so poor a grower that I don't know what to expect with them.
1305a. Finally, I have a week with no on call duties, except perhaps the more dire emergencies. I needs the rest.
1306a. I applaud Obama's new immigration initiative. I don't give a crap if it is an election ploy, so long as the result is a positive.
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 08:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Can you create a little ditch or moat so as to drain off the excess waters? I know you like to do low or no maintenance, but maybe doing that can help keep the water from rotting the roots? Maybe adding some more dry stuff (sand? ...pearlite...peat moss...vermiculite) to the soil so that it runs off the water?

Here's some helpful info on growing Moringas:

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-a-Moringa-Tree

"Get the best organic potting soil that you can find. Moringas do not like heavy, clay-like soil or vermiculite. They will grow in poor soil, sandy soil, and depleted soil, but they do not like their roots getting wet. Bear this in mind, and if necessary, purchase sand to add to the potting soil mixture, or use whatever soil is available in your area, and add coconut coir, peat moss, perlite, or sand to loosen it. This gives the roots of the Moringa tree room to spread out, go deep, and drain well. Moringa can be grow as a solitary tree, in rows, or as a hedge..."

I agree with the Obama new immigration initiative comments. Who cares what gets more votes? Isn't the citizenry needs important any more? There is still a country to run with massive problems to solve. Partisan politics is adding greatly to the paralysis at a time that's so critical to some sort of progress.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 10:41 am
@Ragman,
We live on a very long, easy sloping ground. Flooding and puddling is not possible. The problem is that If it sets in for a week, the water table gets too high and the roots can never drain. It has been recommended to plant on a hill. I can do that. Our soil is sandy, so, easy to dig and the roots have plenty of room to spread. I plan to plant on a hill, plant near the front, where the table does not seem to get as near the surface and in a couple of very large pots. The plants I have growing have done very well, but lately some bottom leaves are getting yellow. I think I recall reading that this is a sign of too much watering.
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 10:55 am
@edgarblythe,
what about adding some of that dry stuff previously mentioned to the soil? Perhaps having sandy soil already is enough?

Yeah, bottom leaves going yellow could means wet toes.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:28 am
@Ragman,
I read over your information a couple of times and I still think my present soil is enough.
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:31 am
@edgarblythe,
That's cool. May the grow like a tumbelweed.