Dem wants to make the minutemen "terrorists"

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:27 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
We won't get the border closed with incomplete arguments, or ones where immigration could as easily be the cause as illegal immigration. Talk about stopping terrorists and gang members from entering; talk about drug smuggling and slavery; talk about sovereignty of America's soil and our right to defend it. The talk that can be misconstrued as some sort of anti-immigrant feeling or racism isn't going to help us.

Whereas the talk you advocate for describes America's immigrants fairly and accurately, and cannot be misconstrued as xenophobia. Yeah right.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
We won't get the border closed with incomplete arguments, or ones where immigration could as easily be the cause as illegal immigration. Talk about stopping terrorists and gang members from entering; talk about drug smuggling and slavery; talk about sovereignty of America's soil and our right to defend it. The talk that can be misconstrued as some sort of anti-immigrant feeling or racism isn't going to help us.

Whereas the talk you advocate for describes America's immigrants fairly and accurately, and cannot be misconstrued as xenophobia. Yeah right.

It isn't xenophobia. I don't have a problem with immigration at all. But I do want to see the border closed for the reasons I listed above (with the exception of drug smuggling, which I don't really care about).

You can't simultaneously have a War on Terror and open borders. It doesn't work. I'm no Bushite, I don't believe that this is the 'struggle of our times,' but that doesn't mean that AQ doesn't exist or that we shouldn't be beefing up our defenses.

I am, of course, pro-amnesty for those who are already here and would like to see an expanded program for allowing more people to immigrate legally; but I have no truck with illegal immigrants and the problems they cause.

I have personal experience with this that also shapes my opinion, but I've chided others for anecdotal evidence before so I won't bring it up unless someone thinks it is relevant in some way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:41 am
Personally I would simply erase all border restrictions regarding immigration in north america (just to start) and let economic forces settle the dust.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:44 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can't simultaneously have a War on Terror and open borders.

Good. I think the War on Terror is a sham anyway. So, no harm done by leaving the borders open.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:47 am
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can't simultaneously have a War on Terror and open borders.

Good. I think the War on Terror is a sham anyway. So, no harm done by leaving the borders open.

Haha, fair enough, fair enough

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Personally I would simply erase all border restrictions regarding immigration in north america (just to start) and let economic forces settle the dust.

that is exactly what is happening now..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:52 pm
Re: Dem wants to make the minutemen "terrorists"
mysteryman wrote:
HB 2286 reads:

Sec. 2. Title 13, chapter 23, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 13-2320, to read:

13-2320. Domestic terrorism; classification

A. An individual or group of individuals commits domestic terrorism if the individual or group of individuals are not affiliated with a local, state or federal law enforcement entity and associate with another individual or group of individuals as an organization, group, corporation or company for the purpose of patrolling to detect alleged illegal activity or to individually patrol for the purpose of detecting alleged illegal activity and if the individual or group of individuals is armed with a firearm or other weapon.

OK, first:

• I dont like the Minutemen none. I dont agree with what they stand for, with their tactics, nor their rhetorics.

• And I'd be very, very wary indeed about groups of volunteers scouring around the neighbourhood to uncover crimes, wearing weapons. It would certainly be forbidden in Holland, in Hungary too, and I'm glad.
That said:

• This notion of legally defining people as "terrorists" when they have neither executed nor planned any terrorist attack is at least as scary to me. "Domestic terrorists" - that should be about McVeigh and political assassins, not about some bozos posturing as would-be cops.

• Unlike in Holland, you do have the right to bear arms. Depending on where you're from, people carry guns regularly enough. So if you have a neighbourhood watch group, for example, the same as you would have over here, in Bumfuck Texas, the same guys would be carrying guns, yeah. Not a particularly comfortable thought, but considering that neighbourhood watch groups are often a good thing, and people are by rule allowed to carry guns, it seems odd to suddenly outlaw neighbourhood watch groups from carrying guns - let alone define them as "domestic terrorists". Yet that is what this law would do, the way I read it - its phrasing hardly applies to volunteer 'border guards' alone

• A minumum sentence of six months jail strikes me as insanely disproportionate.
On those grounds, I'd oppose the proposal if I had anything to say about it.

Finally, however, I want to ask a question. This is Arizona. The proposal sounds to me like something that has no chance in hell to be passed in that state's legislature. Am I right?

If I'm right, we're talking about some one State House member proposing a bill thats going nowhere. Whence the national interest, the Fox News story? This thread here?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:52 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Are economic forces supposed to generate so much hot air?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:03 pm
Quote:
If I'm right, we're talking about some one State House member proposing a bill thats going nowhere. Whence the national interest, the Fox News story? This thread here?

How else can they show how crazy all the liberals are?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:04 pm
parados wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

all the hot air is not about controlled immigration, is about racism and brown skinned people.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:25 pm
I ain't reading along, so I don't know if this has been said, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

"Terrorist" is the new "Red," and anybody in politics with enemies and no conscience is going to use it.

Can you imagine if McCarthy had that kind of tool?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
parados wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

all the hot air is not about controlled immigration, is about racism and brown skinned people.

Easy to predict for a lib, you guys love to play your little race cards, don't you?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:57 pm
har! sean hannity called. he wants his shtick back.

what's easy to predict is that "you guys" cannot seem to enter any discussion without foaming at the mouth about librulls.

btw, if you go back and check the "illegal immigration" threads over the last year or so, you will discover that i am absolutely against it. and i put my money where my mouth is. i fired the best secretary i've ever had when i learned she was in the u.s. illegally. she was a great kid and i hated to do it, but it is what it is...

bottom line is, if you are pissed about illegal aliens, you need to hold the employers responsible and put their asses to the fire.

no illegal jobs = no reason for illegal aliens to cross the border.

can ya dig it, baby ? Mr. Green
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:03 pm
can ya dig it, baby ?

No.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:50 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
har! sean hannity called. he wants his shtick back.

what's easy to predict is that "you guys" cannot seem to enter any discussion without foaming at the mouth about librulls.

btw, if you go back and check the "illegal immigration" threads over the last year or so, you will discover that i am absolutely against it. and i put my money where my mouth is. i fired the best secretary i've ever had when i learned she was in the u.s. illegally. she was a great kid and i hated to do it, but it is what it is...

bottom line is, if you are pissed about illegal aliens, you need to hold the employers responsible and put their asses to the fire.

no illegal jobs = no reason for illegal aliens to cross the border.

can ya dig it, baby ? Mr. Green

Agreed. Dry up the demand, and the supply problem is fixed.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 01:46 am
Baldimo wrote:
I thought this was the great melting pot.

This is more than enough evidence that you are seriously delusional..
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
can ya dig it, baby ?

No.

why not ?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:47 am
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
I thought this was the great melting pot.

This is more than enough evidence that you are seriously delusional..

What this isn't the great melting pot?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
This morning there was another disturbing article in our local newspaper
of how migrant workers are targeted by the "we-take-justice-in-our-own-hands" racists. Let's remember, these are the poorest of the poor who
are targeted here. I am spitting mad about such incidents, and they're not isolated by any means - unfortunately. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Several small encampments throughout Rancho Peñasquitos were targeted in a string of attacks, said attorney Claudia Smith of the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation.
"It was truly stunning to see and pick your way through maybe 100 items, and every one of them is slashed. Jackets right down the middle," said Smith, who notified police after reports of the attacks began to pour in Saturday. "This was so vicious and so deliberate."

entire article
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:11 am
CalamityJane wrote:
This morning there was another disturbing article in our local newspaper
of how migrant workers are targeted by the "we-take-justice-in-our-own-hands" racists. Let's remember, these are the poorest of the poor who
are targeted here. I am spitting mad about such incidents, and they're not isolated by any means - unfortunately. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Several small encampments throughout Rancho Peñasquitos were targeted in a string of attacks, said attorney Claudia Smith of the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation.
"It was truly stunning to see and pick your way through maybe 100 items, and every one of them is slashed. Jackets right down the middle," said Smith, who notified police after reports of the attacks began to pour in Saturday. "This was so vicious and so deliberate."

entire article

And you blame that on the minutemen?
What evidence do you have that they did it?
0 Replies