American Idol New Season Tonight

MrNinja

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:35 pm
I'm cheering for Blake. I really like his style. It's so different. At first I thought he needed to keep his beatboxing reigned in a little, but after the Bon Jovi song, I hope he gets to do all the remixing he wants on his album.

I wouldn't be disappointed in Jordin winning though. She's been one of my favorites all along too.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 02:47 pm
Welcome to A2K MrNinja. I'm sure everybody will be chiming in after tonight's grand sing off and tomorrow's grand finale. I admit I wish it was Jordin and Melinda tonight because I think that might be one of the greatest sing offs in AI history. I'm frankly not as excited about a sing off between Jordin and Blake but they may surprise me.

Last year it was no contest between Taylor and Kat--Kat was by far the better singer--but she didn't win. The finale was rather lackluster though.

Year before last between Carrie and Bo was great and I didn't care which one. The right one did win I think.

The year before that with Fantasia and Diane, I didn't care again as neither were my favorites that year.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:43 pm
no further interest after last weeks abortion
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:08 pm
I watched some of it, even though I too think Melinda should have been up there instead of that hack, Blake. And since I seem to be all in touch with my feminine side tonight, I will admit that when Jordin sang the last line of that last song and got all emotional, it got to me a little. I hope she wins.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:04 am
Don't feel guilty about being a dirty old man, kicky. Only the young die good.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:13 am
Hiya Cowdoc. How's things up in the north country?

Jordin did impressively outsing Blake last night and should be the winner. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it because Blake has all the little teeny boppers all starry eyed and text messaging those votes. So it could be anybody's win tonight.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:25 am
Just got back from Alaska, and glad to be home. For some interesting reading, check out www.votefortheworst.com, a website claiming that the producers of AI set out to rig the results from the outset for the sake of ratings, and encouraging people to vote for performers less talented to upset the applecart. Some of their points sound suspiciously plausible. In any event, previous years have made it apparent that (other than Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood) talent is not the determining factor in finding a winner of this contest. How's everything in ABQ?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:01 am
CowDoc wrote:
Just got back from Alaska, and glad to be home. For some interesting reading, check out www.votefortheworst.com, a website claiming that the producers of AI set out to rig the results from the outset for the sake of ratings, and encouraging people to vote for performers less talented to upset the applecart. Some of their points sound suspiciously plausible. In any event, previous years have made it apparent that (other than Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood) talent is not the determining factor in finding a winner of this contest. How's everything in ABQ?

I would agree that AI does attempt to influence the outcome. If you watch and listen carefully, Simon always makes his picks for the final 24 and then the final 12, but this does not always work out as he wants. I believe however--I'm not positive--that AI has an independent firm receiving and reporting the vote to avoid any appearance of impropriety such as VotefortheWorst implies. Nobody can tell me that AI didn't want Chris Daughtry in the finals last year or that they would have picked Fantasia and Giarmo as the finalists three years ago. So, yeah, maybe its rigged, who knows? But I have to give AI the edge on credibility on that score.

I envy your trip to Alaska, That was one of the best trips we ever made some years ago and I want to go back. Albuquerque is great--more rain, less fire danger than we usually have this time of year--no really hot temperatures yet which is also unusual for this time of year. Be sure to holler if you come back through.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:21 am
Why nothing but singers? I might watch if they got rid of that rule.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:18 am
cjhsa wrote:

Well AI is a singing competition. You have "America's Got Talent" (or something like that) for various kinds of other talent exhibitions, "Dancing with the Stars" and "So You Think you can Dance" for dancing competitions, and "Grease, You're the One I Want" and a another new casting reality show featuring folks who can sing, dance, and act, etc., one for top models, etc. It's okay for one show to be purely a singing competition.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Buck up... I hear the next spin off is American Red Neck Sharpshooters
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:17 pm
I'd watch that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:07 pm
Why nothing but singers? CI asks.

My favorite part of AI are the first weeks when, without anything backing them up, the contestants have to step up to a spot on a stage and sing.

It's just the human voice flowing out.

And if even if you turn your back and you feel the singer's sense of the poem floating on the music.

There is the joy, there is the pain, there is the wonder, there is -and I am sure there is a word for this in every language on the face of this planet - the blues.

Not covered by the bass backbeat, not hidden under the guitar lead, not wilting under the rhythmn of the drums, just the human voice alone.

Joe(Not a single set of vocal chords sounds or resounds like any other)Nation
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:09 pm
sometimes you just must let art flow over you.... right Joe?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:30 pm
I could think of other things flowing, but it wouldn't be art. I'm thinking from the lower part of the backside of human anatomy.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:34 pm
Did you just watch Smokey Robinson?

That's flow, brother.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:22 pm
I enjoyed Blake and Doug E Fresh.

Doing beat-box with the guy who made it popular twenty years ago. How contemporary!

And Ryan's comment after they were done: "Two true originals, ladies gentlemen!"

What a freakin' riot. Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:27 pm
The producers and the advertisers sure know how to milk this cow. I've had root canals that seemed to go faster.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:30 pm
I know. Luckily I get to switch over and watch the Yankees kicking the crap out of the Red Sox too.

Kicky(Joe's not gonna like that comment)can
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:12 pm
What do you want from a show that 'pops' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? (A song written before Kicky was born)

A singer won tonight. Makes me wanna holler.

Joe(who are the Yankees?)Nation
0 Replies