American Idol New Season Tonight

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:39 pm
Hilarious... Randy being a dick tonight and Simon teasing him about it.

Some of these people have to realize somewhere in their hearts that they are talentless trolls but God bless 'em.... dream... and keep coming to the karoake bars and paying my mortgage.... :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,484 • Replies: 250
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:49 pm
I can't believe you actually watch that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:52 pm
everyone does according to its ratings.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:55 pm
Ah, yes--here I am, my second season as an Idol watcher.

I forgot how much this show underscores a disconnect between so many Americans and reality.

When I was sixteen I wanted to motherfucking DRIVE, smoke the occasional joint, and listen to Dark Side. I harbored delusions of making the varsity basketball team, not making it to Hollywood as a singer/juggler. What the **** is wrong with these people?

I also noticed, for the first time, that the whole Paula being drunk thing is more than a joke. I don't think I noticed it last year; I was still an English grad student and often tipsy myself, which might explain it. But tonight she put her words together like a seasoned alcoholic.

Or maybe she's on psych drugs.

Should be a good year!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:59 pm
eoe wrote:
I can't believe you actually watch that.

Seriously. Can't anyone live without thier "idiot box" these days? I'm going to go read Sartre.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:00 pm
YOU watch it too?

ewwwwwww
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:07 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
YOU watch it too?

ewwwwwww

Yeah. Tuesday nights it's either Idol or sitting in a coffee shop wearing a beret and pretending to bone up on existential philosophy. Either way, I'm a winner.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:51 am
BPB--

Thanks to doting parents and credit cards, every Happy Couple can afford a Once In A Lifetime Fairy Tale Wedding.

Thanks to you and to other enablers, voices that would never have been offered a solo in the church choir can have a scaled-down version of Carnegie Hall.

In your small way, you are a public benefactor and a Defender of Democracy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:44 am
Noddy24 wrote:
BPB--

Thanks to doting parents and credit cards, every Happy Couple can afford a Once In A Lifetime Fairy Tale Wedding.

Thanks to you and to other enablers, voices that would never have been offered a solo in the church choir can have a scaled-down version of Carnegie Hall.

In your small way, you are a public benefactor and a Defender of Democracy.

I am merely a small cog in the wheel of life, but I am grateful for the opportunity of bringing joy to others. I am humbled, humbled I tell you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:50 am
Idol wouldn't suck half as bad if they'd drop the karaoke format and let people play instruments and only sing if they wanted to.

Not everyone is Kelly Clarkston or Elvis Costello. I can think of a huge number of performers who would never make it on idol that have changed the landscape of entertainment.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:52 am
cjhsa wrote:
Idol wouldn't suck half as bad if they'd drop the karaoke format and let people play instruments and only sing if they wanted to.

Not everyone is Kelly Clarkston or Elvis Costello. I can think of a huge number of performers who would never make it on idol that have changed the landscape of entertainment.

yes indeed... change the format of the show.... maybe the ratings would go up and they'd finally enjoy some success....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
That show is unBEARable.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:59 am
I'm sure there's a hunting show or something on one of the upper cable channels. Let me know if you need an explanation of what cable is.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:10 am
No, I'll just ask cicerone. He's the TV expert.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:47 am
I'll be watching b/c I know everyone I know will be, but it got off to a boring start imho. Usually, I'm cracking up, but in an effort to be funny, the show itself was a little slow last night.

The 16 yo boy who complained that his parents didn't come to support him, but got through to hollywood ...had me all choked up. I loved his soft voice, and he's cute, but I couldn't tell if he liked girls or not (yet). I hope so. ::hearts::

I felt bad for the vocalist teacher. HOW EMBARRASSING for him. If I was a student of his, I'd definitely quit after seeing him last night.

Then I got laughs from the guy who they asked to sing a different song w/o his "rock star" scratchy voice, and he couldn't do it. Then he said, "no wait, I can do marvin gaye..." then used the same exact voice. hilarious.

I had shakira in my head the entire night though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:15 am
I wish they wouldn't be so sadistic. The poor waif Jewel wannabe was heartbroken and wouldn't take the damn camera off of her. I was yelling at the tv "move on! already"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:28 am
I am not an Idol watcher, but since there was little on TV I put it on for a while. I felt so bad for these saps that think they can sing. That sad 16 year old that was juggling ending up in tears while those judging him are laughing at him. I thought it very cruel.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:40 am
Linkat wrote:
I am not an Idol watcher, but since there was little on TV I put it on for a while. I felt so bad for these saps that think they can sing. That sad 16 year old that was juggling ending up in tears while those judging him are laughing at him. I thought it very cruel.

an ugly mirror held up to an ugly society.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:40 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I wish they wouldn't be so sadistic. The poor waif Jewel wannabe was heartbroken and wouldn't take the damn camera off of her. I was yelling at the tv "move on! already"

I agree they waaaay overstretched that segment.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Linkat wrote:

an ugly mirror held up to an ugly society.

Indeed. And that's the beauty of it.
0 Replies