IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

sstainba

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm curious as well - is it a requirement to work in a field in order to discuss policies relating to it on an internet message board?

My guess is that you are trying to perpetrate a Logical Fallacy here - Appealing to an Authority, with yourself as the Authority.

Cycloptichorn

I'm asking because I want to know.

And actually, that's not a logical fallacy. The fallacy only comes in to play when you assume that the authority is infallible. There is no fallacy in the assertion that the authority is correct.

I'd like to point out, especially in reference to medicine, we routinely seek out authorities and ask for their advice which we generally accept as true. According to you, this is also a logical fallacy. And in that case, we can stop this entire debate with that and simply get rid of doctors since they are logically useless. Or.... maybe you're wrong.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:47 pm
@sstainba,
sstainba wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm curious as well - is it a requirement to work in a field in order to discuss policies relating to it on an internet message board?

My guess is that you are trying to perpetrate a Logical Fallacy here - Appealing to an Authority, with yourself as the Authority.

Cycloptichorn

I'm asking because I want to know.

And actually, that's not a logical fallacy. The fallacy only comes in to play when you assume that the authority is infallible. There is no fallacy in the assertion that the authority is correct.

Appealing to Authority is indeed a common Logical Fallacy -

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

There is no requirement that the authority is identified as 'infallible.' You are simply wrong on this.

Quote:
I'd like to point out, especially in reference to medicine, we routinely seek out authorities and ask for their advice which we generally accept as true. According to you, this is also a logical fallacy.

No, it isn't. You don't properly understand what an Appeal to Authority is.

Quote:
And in that case, we can stop this entire debate with that and simply get rid of doctors since they are logically useless. Or.... maybe you're wrong.

No, I'm not wrong; your example is not relevant to what we are talking about.

From my link - actually, this is specifically about doctors:

Quote:

As suggested above, not all Appeals to Authority are fallacious. This is fortunate since people have to rely on experts. This is because no one person can be an expert on everything and people do not have the time or ability to investigate every single claim themselves.

In many cases, Arguments from Authority will be good arguments. For example, when a person goes to a skilled doctor and the doctor tells him that he has a cold, then the the patient has good reason to accept the doctor's conclusion. As another example, if a person's computer is acting odd and his friend, who is a computer expert, tells him it is probably his hard drive then he has good reason to believe her.

What distinguishes a fallacious Appeal to Authority from a good Appeal to Authority is that the argument meets the six conditions discussed above.

In a good Appeal to Authority, there is reason to believe the claim because the expert says the claim is true. This is because a person who is a legitimate expert is more likely to be right than wrong when making considered claims within her area of expertise. In a sense, the claim is being accepted because it is reasonable to believe that the expert has tested the claim and found it to be reliable. So, if the expert has found it to be reliable, then it is reasonable to accept it as being true. Thus, the listener is accepting a claim based on the testimony of the expert.

It should be noted that even a good Appeal to Authority is not an exceptionally strong argument. After all, in such cases a claim is being accepted as true simply because a person is asserting that it is true. The person may be an expert, but her expertise does not really bear on the truth of the claim. This is because the expertise of a person does not actually determine whether the claim is true or false. Hence, arguments that deal directly with evidence relating to the claim itself will tend to be stronger.

Cycloptichorn
sstainba

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I never said it wasn't a logical fallacy. I simply said that it's only a fallacy if you argue that the authority is infallible and/or exempt from criticism.

I think it is you that is wrong. As I said before, there is nothing inherently illogical in appealing to an authority. If that were the case, there would be no experts. Your argument and subsequent cite of a website is nothing more than an appeal to authority.

Further, by its own definition, that site may be a logical fallacy. One of the rules is that the source actually be an expert in the field on which it comments. However, that website is dedicated to education about the Holocaust and preventing hatred. That does NOT make it an authority on logical arguments.

Cycloptichorn" wrote:

There is no requirement that the authority is identified as 'infallible.' You are simply wrong on this.

If you are correct, then that means any appeal to authority is a fallacy. And if that is true, why do you keep posting website links? You are only appealing to the authority of a written page.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Oh, and your link also says that appeals to authority are not always a fallacy. So you should probably stop throwing that up there every change you get since it quite often doesn't apply.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:46 pm
@sstainba,
Christ, you're dense.

I never said that every Appeal to Authority was a logical fallacy; I said that I suspected that you are attempting to engage in a logical fallacy, by pointing to yourself as an authority on health care issues because you 'work in the industry.'

Here's exactly what I said:

Quote:

This is specifically discussed in the link which I sent you, and you didn't bother to read.

Quote:
Oh, and your link also says that appeals to authority are not always a fallacy.

Don't you think I realized that when I cut and pasted that section for you to read?

Do us a favor - let us know why you wanted to know who worked in the health-care field. Why is it important? Because I think I had you pegged right from the start on this one, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn
sstainba

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Christ, you're dense.

I never said that every Appeal to Authority was a logical fallacy; I said that I suspected that you are attempting to engage in a logical fallacy, by pointing to yourself as an authority on health care issues because you 'work in the industry.'

Here's exactly what I said:

Quote:

This is specifically discussed in the link which I sent you, and you didn't bother to read.

Quote:
Oh, and your link also says that appeals to authority are not always a fallacy.

Don't you think I realized that when I cut and pasted that section for you to read?

Do us a favor - let us know why you wanted to know who worked in the health-care field. Why is it important? Because I think I had you pegged right from the start on this one, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn

I want to know for my own reference so that I know just how much stock to put into your opinions. If you were a plumber I would probably listen to you more seriously about how to fix the mixing valve on my shower. But if you're a plumber, I won't put much stock in your advice on the windows api message handling.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

you're awfully defensive about this. it's just a simple question.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:34 pm
@sstainba,
sstainba wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

you're awfully defensive about this. it's just a simple question.

It's just a dovetail from an earlier line of argument that you were taking - that those who work in the HC industry are better able to discuss policies relating to that industry then those who are not. And to a certain extent that may be true; but not universally. It is the equivalent of privates claiming they can discuss our overall military situation better then any civilian, no matter how much they have studied the field.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:13 pm
@sstainba,
Quote:

It most clearly is a logical fallacy when you are asserting it is yourself that is the Authority.

As far as a Dr goes, I see no reason to take his word alone as evidence of anything. You do understand the concept of a "second opinion" I hope.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:04 am
What a surprise... our government tried to "manage" a little healthcare and screwed it up. Now it's going to cost more than twice what they originally said. Yay!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-04-26-hospitals_N.htm
rabel22

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:45 am
@sstainba,
Not our government. The military who often spend double on everything are the ones at fault here.
sstainba

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:54 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Not our government. The military who often spend double on everything are the ones at fault here.

Our government includes the Dept. of Defense of which the military is part.
parados

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@sstainba,
Obviously the best way to fix it is to get rid of the military.

Wink
rabel22

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:30 pm
@sstainba,
The military is a power in itself. It even influences senators and congressman with its monatary might. If they dont vote right a camp may be moved to a part of the country that knows how to vote.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:31 pm
@parados,
Sounds like a plan to me.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:53 am
A glimpse of problems to come:

http://rangelmd.com/2010/04/massachusetts-to-force-doctors-to-accept-medicaremedicaid-or-lose-license/

http://thehappyhospitalist.blogspot.com/2010/05/medicaid-contagion-has-spread-medicaid.html

rabel22

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:37 am
@sstainba,
Big surprise! Doctors and hospitals are against cuts in medical compensation.
sstainba

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:45 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

I'm not sure if I would call it "compensation". That word indicates some sort of equality in value. In the case of medicare and medicaid, the payments they make often barely (and in many cases simply don't) cover the cost of care.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:21 am
@sstainba,
sstainba wrote:

rabel22 wrote:

I'm not sure if I would call it "compensation". That word indicates some sort of equality in value. In the case of medicare and medicaid, the payments they make often barely (and in many cases simply don't) cover the cost of care.

So, quit. If they don't like their jobs, tell them to quit and do something else. We will either find people to do the work for less or re-evaluate our decisions on how much to pay.

Either way, it's better then listening to people pule and whine. All over the country people have cut their salaries back and are out of homes and jobs. For doctors and medical practitioners to pretend that they are immune to the recession is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, quit. If they don't like their jobs, tell them to quit and do something else. We will either find people to do the work for less or re-evaluate our decisions on how much to pay.

Either way, it's better then listening to people pule and whine. All over the country people have cut their salaries back and are out of homes and jobs. For doctors and medical practitioners to pretend that they are immune to the recession is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

Exactly right, if they don't like it, just quit, we will find somebody that will, even if it requires at the point of a gun, right cyclops. And I am sure there are some untrained illegals we can find in some back alley that wants to work for a few measly dollars. After all, the work is simple, nothing to it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:53 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Exactly right, if they don't like it, just quit, we will find somebody that will, even if it requires at the point of a gun, right cyclops. And I am sure there are some untrained illegals we can find in some back alley that wants to work for a few measly dollars. After all, the work is simple, nothing to it.

Your weak attempts at mockery do not invalidate my original point in the slightest. You ought to attempt more highbrow counter-arguments if you want to get a serious response.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies