IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
There will always be abuse. We can thank the Reagan, 1st and 2nd Bush administrations for allowing the legal constraints on brokers, industrialists and bankers to be loosened. These criminals have no self-control and they have instituted fascism with their lobbyists who take away rights from the common man.

Children in nursery school need rules. So do investment bankers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I find people who carry on about starting their own businesses are full of hot air. One of the biggest scams of the past quarter century is the business start up, whether it is a doughnut shop or the manufacturer of precision, high-tech printing presses: all too many businesses are created solely to be sold to a greedy competitor for the profit. It would serve some of these lying leeches well if they would be left with their fake businesses.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@plainoldme,
So are you saying that making a profit is now wrong?
okie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:47 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I find people who carry on about starting their own businesses are full of hot air. One of the biggest scams of the past quarter century is the business start up, whether it is a doughnut shop or the manufacturer of precision, high-tech printing presses: all too many businesses are created solely to be sold to a greedy competitor for the profit. It would serve some of these lying leeches well if they would be left with their fake businesses.

Then don't be stupid enough to buy one of those fake businesses, pom. And also why would you buy a business without looking at the books and verifying the numbers? Are you that dumb?

And why would you sell a business at a loss, pom, answer that? Is that what people are supposed to do now, run businesses and sell them at a loss? Is that now a badge of honor, lose money? Would that bring me bragging rights, I ran a business at a loss and I sold it a loss, good for me!!!!

The utter stupidity I read on this forum still amazes me, and what makes the liberal mind tick, I have not a clue. Sorry to be sarcastic, pom, but seriously, do you realize how utterly silly and preposterously stupid some of your posts are, and you claim to be educated?
plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:59 pm
@okie,
Your reading ability is alarmingly poor.

Where did I say that I was buying such things? Where did I say I was interested in such things? Where did I say that the businesses were sold at a loss?

Founding businesses has become a game. LEt me give you the simplest scheme. There is a man who lives in central Massachusetts who has an eye for good locations and who heads a company that makes terrible doughnuts.

He buys locations and sets up a doughnut shop in a place where there is both great foot and great car traffic. You do know that traffic is a prerequisite for such a business, don't you? Anyway, he seldom runs one of his shops for a year, so, it doesn't matter that his doughnuts are terrible. Dunkin' Donuts regularly buys him out. He makes a handsome profit. You do know that there is something called goodwill that is part of the final balance sheet that adds to the sale price, n'est-ce pas?

My former husband, who has a doctorate in chemistry but who hated teaching and was denied tenure, worked as scientific backing for sales teams, then became director of marketing for a series of companies. He continually ran into start-ups that were started simply to sell the company to a larger firm, particularly one with a defense contract. Often, these start ups were given grants by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as well as several foreign countries, most notably Ireland.

There was no loss at all.

Furthermore, these people were not liberals . . . this is not liberal behavior.
okie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm
@plainoldme,
pom, you are describing situations that require a bit more analysis than what you are providing, and you are implying that the man is bilking people, without one iota of evidence to support your claim. In fact, it sounds like the guy is making a profit on his ability to buy profitable locations, not the donuts, to which I would ask: whats wrong with that?

I did notice a point about Massachusetts giving grants for startups, I do think alot of grants are a total and absolute waste of money, but I hope you realize that such government giveaways are commonly liberal or Democratic ideas, not conservative ones. And making money is not confined to conservatives or liberals, both try to do it if they can, and if done honestly and with hard work, it should be commended.

Your supposed point about the donuts or startups pretty much falls flat, and fails the test of any logic behind your purpose of posting. You seem to think you have brought out some monumental example of fraud or something, but after your point is analyzed, it melts into nothing, you have no point at all.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@okie,
Oh, but I favor investments in startups. No, not government grants, but private investers. Right now, those investors need to be "accredited" to the extent of having a net worth of one million, or annual income of $250,000.

Oops! Now Dodd's financial reform bill would change the accreditation to net worth of 2.3 million, or income of $450,000. Oh well. . . .

I'm not going to chase a link for you, but if you get the WSJ, check pg A22 "Angels Out of America" under Review and Outlook. Sorry, but the discussion isn't always worth my time. Preaching to the choir, and all that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 01:15 am
Quote:

WASHINGTON " President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law will increase the nation's health care tab instead of bringing costs down, government economic forecasters concluded Thursday in a sobering assessment of the sweeping legislation.

A report by economic experts at the Health and Human Services Department said the health care remake will achieve Obama's aim of expanding health insurance - adding 34 million Americans to the coverage rolls.

But the analysis also found that the law falls short of the president's twin goal of controlling runaway costs, raising projected spending by about 1 percent over 10 years. That increase could get bigger, however, since the report also warned that Medicare cuts in the law may be unrealistic and unsustainable, forcing lawmakers to roll them back.

Read more: http://www.theolympian.com/2010/04/22/1215699/report-health-overhaul-will-increase.html#ixzz0luBC2UWo
I am shocked....SHOCKED I TELL YOU to learn that the promises made just weeks ago will not be kept!
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:20 am
@okie,
I heard in a book that the owner and founder of McDonalds said that he was in the real estate business, not the hamburger business. And that the burger shops were just what was built to pay for the land and to allow him to buy more land. It's a fact that the land McDonalds owns is some of the most valuable in the country.
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:29 am
@maporsche,
http://money.howstuffworks.com/mcdonalds2.htm
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Do you mean Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the Obama administration lied to
all of us just as they are lying about financial reform, V.A.T. and everything else?

Shocking News!
okie

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:52 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I heard in a book that the owner and founder of McDonalds said that he was in the real estate business, not the hamburger business. And that the burger shops were just what was built to pay for the land and to allow him to buy more land. It's a fact that the land McDonalds owns is some of the most valuable in the country.

Great point, maporsche, I would not doubt that at all. I have read that alot of beusinesses end up being profitable in ways not totally planned or expected at startup. Often, the beginning business plan becomes tweaked and altered to fit the situation, ending up going in a slightly different direction than orignially planned. Part of the reason I know this is because of my reading relative to my own experience. I started a business, and it ended up with long term success, but in a slightly different direction than originally envisioned.
Advocate

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 02:02 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Great point, maporsche, I would not doubt that at all. I have read that alot of beusinesses end up being profitable in ways not totally planned or expected at startup. Often, the beginning business plan becomes tweaked and altered to fit the situation, ending up going in a slightly different direction than orignially planned. Part of the reason I know this is because of my reading relative to my own experience. I started a business, and it ended up with long term success, but in a slightly different direction than originally envisioned.

Ma Porch is wrong on a couple counts. First, Ray Kroc bought an existing McDonalds Restaurant, which was quite successful. He then sold franchises, and we know the rest of the story. I think the firm mostly leases the land on which the restaurants are located. That way, it is much easier to relocate should the area disintegrate or otherwise become untenable.
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 02:37 pm
@Advocate,
I posted a link, you can read all about it. I assure you, Ray Kroc told a Harvard classroom that he was in the real estate business, NOT the hamburger business.
Advocate

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:25 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

So are you saying that making a profit is now wrong?

Can't you read. He didn't say that at all.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:27 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I posted a link, you can read all about it. I assure you, Ray Kroc told a Harvard classroom that he was in the real estate business, NOT the hamburger business.
Not that uncommon actually. We had a very popular Dairy Queen, only about 7 years old and large, that disappeared last year because Wells Fargo offered well over a Million dollars for the lot just before the crash. They ran a bulldozer over the Dairy Queen and we now have a Wells Fargo instead.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 05:46 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Do you mean Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the Obama administration lied to
all of us just as they are lying about financial reform, V.A.T. and everything else?

Shocking News!

That is only shocking news to the koolaid drinkers, H2OMAN, but they probably have not gotten the news yet on their channel or station.
Advocate

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:15 am
@okie,
You really have it wrong. Don't you remember that the Republican party is the one that is all about lies. Don't you remember the hundreds of hoax emails the right puts out, the lies about death panels, McConnell lying about financial reform legislation, etc., etc. Your accusing the Dems of being serial liars is just a big joke.

Incidentally, if you change your mind about doing something, that is not a lie. Conditions change, new facts come to bear, etc.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:03 pm
so... i'm just curious... how many people commenting on here work in healthcare or healthcare-related fields ?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:22 pm
@sstainba,
I'm curious as well - is it a requirement to work in a field in order to discuss policies relating to it on an internet message board?

My guess is that you are trying to perpetrate a Logical Fallacy here - Appealing to an Authority, with yourself as the Authority.

Cycloptichorn