IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Advocate

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

From the AP today:
Quote:
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said the goal remains to pass far-reaching legislation that would expand coverage, reduce costs and improve quality.

The democrats forgot all three important issues for health care reform. I think they're dead in the water on health care reform.

So I guess you don't give a fig that about 55,000 people per year are dying due to lack of coverage, that soon 25 % of our economy will be in the medical area, that people will not start businesses because they would have to give their employer's plan, etc.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate, You're missing all the important issues like congress and Obama. Most Americans want health care reform - including me, but not one which adds cost, doesn't increase efficiency, and doesn't cover the over 31 million plus who has no insurance or inadequate insurance.

In addition to all the wrong issues that congress and Obama addressed in their latest attempts at health care reform, they made special deals for groups and states. That's not acceptable; it must be "universal" in cost and benefits.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
It will be very interesting to observe what President Obama and the other leaders of the Democrat party choose to do (or not do) with respect to the health care legislation that has so far been so disastrous for them. Zealous "progressives" are urging the President to press hard now for passage of some form of the legislation - perhaps through a House vote on the Senate Bill and subsequent "adjustment" through the reconciliation process. They assert that failing to do so will be a disaster for the party.

So far the President's moves on this matter have been a bit ambiguous. His first comments expressed the hope that the parties could unite on "the parts they agree on". More recently more aggressive comments have come from his advisors. Will we see anything explicit on this issue in tonight's SOU address???

My view is that the disaster has already occurred and it is too late for the Dems to pass anything, by any means. I suspect the ranks of the frightened "Blue Dogs" in the House have grown substantially. Between them and indignant far left progressives, there may not be enough votes in the House for the Senate bill under any circumstances. The historical precedents suggest that doubling down on an already failed policy is a prescription for further political setbacks, not a reversal.

The President is starting to appear weak, vacillating and confused. There is more to governing than just his admittedly remarkable ability to give uplifting but vague and hard-to-remember speeches. We may be seeing the consequences of electing to a very challenging office, an attractive, intelligent and well-spoken individual who is also singularly short of meaningful experience or substance - "all hat: no cattle" in the Texas phrase.

Still, the speech tonight will be interesting.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Unless you're posting from the future, I suggest you watch the speech with the rest of us - tomorrow night. Laughing

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Unless you're posting from the future, I suggest you watch the speech with the rest of us - tomorrow night. Laughing
Cycloptichorn

Tomorrow night ?? damn ! Embarrassed Embarrassed

Well I'll have to miss it. I have an engagement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, georgeob, even his speech won't change my mind about him; he's lied too often on too many subjects/issues to win me over.

I see this president as a lame duck for the next three years. Americans may like him as a person, but not as our president.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:17 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I suspect the ranks of the frightened "Blue Dogs" in the House have grown substantially.Between them and indignant far left progressives, there may not be enough votes in the House for the Senate bill under any circumstances.

Bribes. Their votes can still be bought.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:20 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Bribes. Their votes can still be bought.

I doubt it. First, the doubters in Congress are far more afraid now of the consequences for them of a favorable vote, so the price will be higher. Second, the issue has already been sensitized with the Louisiana and Nebraska bribes & the union deal. They don't have the balls to try it again.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:29 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Tomorrow night ?? damn ! Embarrassed Embarrassed

Well I'll have to miss it. I have an engagement.

You could watch it together; think about how much fun it could be.

You could throw popcorn at the TV

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:53 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
...the issue has already been sensitized with the Louisiana and Nebraska bribes & the union deal.

I wonder if any of that will be mentioned tonight. Probably not. If it was, he'd have to explain how he had absolutely nothing to do with any of that ("Let me be clear...etc.etc.etc.").

Quote:
They don't have the balls to try it again.

Probably not without applying for admission to the Witness Protection Program LOL. (And Ben Nelson - D-MutualofOmaha - is probably wishing he'd done just that)!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:53 am
BTW, tonite's speech will emphasize the middle class, and he'll talk about jobs, but the reality is "he can't be trusted." The time for sweet-talk is over and done with; his only option from now till January 20, 2012, is to move to the right of center. Will he?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
his only option from now till January 20, 2012, is to move to the right of center.
Yes, I suppose he could become another Clinton republican.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
Quote:
Will he?

He already did...........by freezing 0.04% of the budget!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:03 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Quote:
...by freezing 0.04% of the budget!

ROFL
georgeob1

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is a rather remarkable superficiality about this administration. Perhaps they think we are very stupid and don't see through things like this "budget freeze" - on the heels of their increases which exceed it by orders of magnitude.

Lots of mixed signals coming out of the White House -- a populist attack on "greedy bankers" (following earlier ones on "the rich"); rather meaningless gestures toward fiscal responsibility; conciliatory words (from the White House) on health care reform, annompanyied by threats of bold, aggressive action from other Dem. leaders; Lots of emphasis on actions to create new jobs; etc.

What is missing is any coherent underlying economic policy or unifying principles. It is a little bit like the Peter Sellers film, "Being there".

I'll miss the SOU address tonight, but there will undoubtedly be endless repititions of it on the TV (something I usually try to avoid).
dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@georgeob1,
well yes Gerogeob, "being there" is excellent analysis and the really amazing thing about the book/film is that it applies exactly as well to liberals as well as conservatives. If you wanted to single out a strickly liberal critique I would have mentioned "clockwork orange"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
So, we should expect another campaign speech?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:01 pm
@roger,
It's going to have all the seasoning and spice to make it palatable, but the entree will be fake meat and potatoes. I don't think it'll pass the smell test.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@roger,
He's going to tell us 'why we're angry'. Because we're shallow and dumb as rocks and can't figure that out for ourselves. Or something.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

He's going to tell us 'why we're angry'. Because we're shallow and dumb as rocks and can't figure that out for ourselves. Or something.

I think that's partially accurate. Many Republicans are angry for no other reason than the fact that their political party is in the shitter, and they are casting about for any topic they can find to express this anger.

Cycloptichorn