IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It wasn't angry Republicans that elected Scott Brown in Massachusetts.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

It wasn't angry Republicans that elected Scott Brown in Massachusetts.

Sure it was! In large part.

Besides, you are focusing on one tiny little element of a giant picture that we are discussing - just b/c it happened to come out as a victory for your team. Look at the bigger picture.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sort of. We are disappointed, and we had little in the way of expectations to start with. Maybe we have gotten in the habit of being angry. Not that we have to look far for reasons, but also just angry.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:13 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sort of. We are disappointed

Disappointed in who? You ought to be looking square at your own leadership, for they are the ones entirely to blame for your situation. I don't see groups of people protesting them, however.

Quote:
and we had little in the way of expectations to start with. Maybe we have gotten in the habit of being angry. Not that we have to look far for reasons, but also just angry.

This I agree with, and it's easy to understand why: it's a lot easier to bitch then it is to come up with actual solutions for problems.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The conservatives haven't had a rudder for their boat for over ten years. Building a rudder will take them another ten years, and the rhetoric of Limbaugh, Palin, and Boehner will take over their multi-faceted road to nowhere. They have become the No Party, and that alone will take decades to overcome. In their zeal to make Obama look like a failure, they are being seen as the party that doesn't have any other agenda. They have become robots that knows only one vote; "No."

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thinking in terms of terrorist suspects and Afghanistan, the solutions seem to be the same as always. New names, but same old solutions.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This I agree with, and it's easy to understand why: it's a lot easier to bitch then it is to come up with actual solutions for problems.

He'll probably say that. "Hey America! It's not me.........it's YOU!"
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
it's a lot easier to bitch then it is to come up with actual solutions for problems.

Funny how common this complaint is from proponents of the party in power to the proponents of the minority party. This was the exact same complaint lodged by Repubs against Democrats only a few short years ago.

But you're wrong, Cyclo. The Repubs have long had a health plan and are reintroducing it today in what I think is a new spiffy web site here

I haven't gone over the plan in depth but it does seem less ambitious (and thus thankfully far less damaging to our fragile economic status), offering tax credits for all to buy health insurance from private or state exchanges. Insurance is portable and those with pre-existing conditions would be covered from state insurance pools. It also speaks to tort reform presumably "assisting states in establishing solutions to medical tort litigation."

I'm still reserving judgement on it (especially the tort reform piece which seems toothless), but perhaps a spirited discussion on the pluses/minuses of this alternative would be good here.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:44 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Cyclo wrote:
it's a lot easier to bitch then it is to come up with actual solutions for problems.

Funny how common this complaint is from proponents of the party in power to the proponents of the minority party. This was the exact same complaint lodged by Repubs against Democrats only a few short years ago.

But you're wrong, Cyclo. The Repubs have long had a health plan and are reintroducing it today in what I think is a new spiffy web site here

I haven't gone over the plan in depth but it does seem less ambitious (and thus thankfully far less damaging to our fragile economic status), offering tax credits for all to buy health insurance from private or state exchanges. Insurance is portable and those with pre-existing conditions would be covered from state insurance pools. It also speaks to tort reform presumably "assisting states in establishing solutions to medical tort litigation."

I'm still reserving judgement on it (especially the tort reform piece which seems toothless), but perhaps a spirited discussion on the pluses/minuses of this alternative would be good here.

Tax credits are useless. They do nothing to help those who can't afford to spend the money in the first place. It's the sort of solution envisioned by someone who isn't actually in such a situation at all.

I'm also surprised to see that the Republicans propose subsidizing the health-insurance industry to such a degree, as we have long heard them argue that exactly such subsidies from Medicare and Medicaid are what are responsible for the spiraling health costs we're dealing with. The rhetoric that we have been told doesn't seem to match the solutions which are being proposed.

I'll read through the rest tonight and get back to you on it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:30 am
Obama said last night that we must persist in the reform efforts, and covered the need for them. He did not give specifics on what would be done now. He took some shots at the Reps, and did so with a smile (which must be maddening to the Reps). What follows should be interesting.
okie

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The solution is to sweep the Democrats out of Congress and the incompetents out of the administration next time the elections can allow us to do it. That would be a start to fixing this mess.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:45 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The solution is to sweep the Democrats out of Congress and the incompetents out of the administration next time the elections can allow us to do it. That would be a start to fixing this mess.

What, so we can put the incompetents who made this mess back in office? That's not a solution!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:47 am
@Advocate,
What follows will be the same; they'll argue the non-essentials, and forget the primary goal of universal health care; a) insure all Americans, b) lower cost, and c) implement efficiencies.

Health care in the US is very complex with so many different cost base by region and availability. Health care includes, but not limited to, all the producers of medicine, medical machinery (such MRI and xray), medical device industry (bedside equipment), and surgical appliances which has kept the US at the forefront of medical care.

I don't see anything happening with health care reform in this political climate. Even some democrats are nay-sayers.
Irishk

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
Obama Admits Health Care Overhaul May Die on Hill
okie

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:13 pm
@Irishk,

Thank you, thank you, Scott Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, we may need to wait until the fat lady sings to be sure. That might happen this coming fall in November, if not before - hopefully!!!!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:11 pm
@Irishk,
not only was this a colossal waste of time, but the process made everyone look bad.

The only upside is that at this point only the most dense of the dense can fail to see that Washington does not work, that reform if not revolution is required.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
your goals A and B are mutually exclusive.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:18 pm
@sstainba,
You mean, we can't cut 500 billion from Medicare over the next 10 years without cutting benefits? Who knew?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You mean, we can't cut 500 billion from Medicare over the next 10 years without cutting benefits? Who knew?

Cutting benefits to private insurers, yes. Medicare Advantage is a huge subsidy to the insurance industry and it's time it got done away with.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
The passing of Murtha also may represent a delay of two months (until Apr/May), if not another nail in the coffin for Obamacare. Pelosi could only swing 220 votes last go round, just squeaking by to get the 218 votes needed. She's now lost the lone republican, Cao, who's already said he won't vote for the Senate version. Earlier Wexler retired, thus losing her another vote, at least until a new special election is held in Apr. With death of Murtha, her count drops to 217 and she now must flip the vote of one of the Dems who voted against the bill earlier. Now I normally wouldn't think this would be too difficult for Pelosi to swing with the proper bribes ...I mean earmarks. But this will be more difficult the closer we get to elections. There simply won't be enough time for the constituents of a flipped blue dog to forget.