IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:29 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

okie wrote:
It is up to you and people like you to continue to think for yourself.

No. We are absolutely against thinking for ourselves. We want to be exactly like mindless rightwing radicals, i.e., okie, and spew talking points that have been spoon fed to us by special interest groups and a 1.5 million dollar a day misinformation campaign. Only then will there be true equality in America.

It is perversely amusing to note that the real kool-aid drinkers here - those who accept the contradictions offered us without question or apparent unease - are the first to accuse others of their own very prominent faults.
Debra Law

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:32 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

okie wrote:

No. We are absolutely against thinking for ourselves. We want to be exactly like mindless rightwing radicals, i.e., okie, and spew talking points that have been spoon fed to us by special interest groups and a 1.5 million dollar a day misinformation campaign. Only then will there be true equality in America.

It is perversely amusing to note that the real kool-aid drinkers here - those who accept the contradictions offered us without question or apparent unease - are the first to accuse others of their own very prominent faults.

Okie is a Beckbot. Everyone knows it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:59 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

okie wrote:

Yes, and I continue to find it interesting that Debra does not answer my question, as I asked on the last page, which I believe was a second attempt:

"Which brings up a question again, I think I asked you once, I don't think you answered, do you believe in Marxism, Debra? "

Honesty is not one of the hallmarks of leftists, so I don't expect her to answer, or if she does, it will not be a straight answer.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:32 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

"Which brings up a question again, I think I asked you once, I don't think you answered, do you believe in Marxism, Debra? "

Honesty is not one of the hallmarks of leftists, so I don't expect her to answer, or if she does, it will not be a straight answer.

I think it's a safe bet that she doesn't believe in Marxism. The universe of non Marxists is large enough to encompass lots of disagreement. Do you equate "leftists" with "Marxists" ? Perhaps you could illuminate us with your definitions of those terms.

I agree that Debra has not (to my knowledge) addressed the many contradictions and the even greater number of unanswered questions concerning the president's health care plans and the draft bills circulating in the Congress. Instead she has merely cited the plight of the uninsured and criticized the critics of the program. Not very illuminating, but not enough to accuse her as you do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:35 am
@georgeob1,
How can okie illuminate anything? He always lives in that dark place where no man dares to occupy like he does!
0 Replies

longryder

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 03:57 pm
@Baldimo,
I am a former Marine that was damaged in Nam ..and have been on "state run " health care for a long while..I believe that gives me the unique vantage point of knowing what I am talking about..If you think we are owed this from a Federal Government so broke it rarely pays attention..than you friend are a loon...If you think State run health care is the answer than you are not even close to where reality lives..The Vets Admin is a classic example of how terrible the nabobs at the Federal level are in running anything..It will be the gravest mistake of your lives to get this passed..But what do I know..40 years of it is hardly enough ..right liberals?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:23 pm
@longryder,
longryder, Thanks for your service to our country, but I disagree with you about what must be done with health care in this country.

In the first place, Bush cut funding for vet services as the demand for services increased from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Conservatives kept claiming that Bush increased funding, but that never resulted in added funds to take care of existing servicemen and women as demand escalated since 2003. It never was an increase in funding, because demand outstripped the funds.

As for universal health care for our country, current cost increases cannot be sustained much longer. Insurance rates are increasing faster than the inflation rate, and many companies are not only laying off workers, but many small businesses cannot afford to provide health insurance to their workers, and many individuals can't afford the high premiums.
Quote:
[email protected]
212-606-3853
Commonwealth Fund
Employer-sponsored health insurance premiums projected to double by 2020. Health system reforms could save more than $3,700 per family policy by 2020; state-by-state analysis finds sharp premium increases since 2003 in all states

August 20, 2009, New York, NY" Nationally, family premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance increased 119 percent between 1999 and 2008, and could increase another 94 percent to an average $23,842 per family by 2020 if cost growth continues on its current course, according to a new Commonwealth Fund report.

Our government must devise a health plan that covers all Americans, but it must be based on "ability to pay" like other forms of insurance. Not everybody should have a cadillac plan when the premium should be rated on types of coverage and age.

It's a different story for veterans who were promised medical care by their service to our country. There's no excuse for short-changing our veterans when they risked their lives for our country.

Much misinformation has been verbalized by the conservatives and insurance industry to scare Americans about health care reform. The fact of the matter is that current trends in health insurance premiums cannot be sustained. Many Americans are also losing health insurance because they are also losing their jobs, and it's now estimated that over 47 million Americans are without health insurance. Most industrialized countries provide health insurance to their citizens, and we are the laggards in this regard.

Unless we take care of our children with good health and education, our economic future will be destroyed. Why are so many people afraid of universal health care?

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:24 pm
@longryder,
longryder wrote:

I am a former Marine that was damaged in Nam ..and have been on "state run " health care for a long while..I believe that gives me the unique vantage point of knowing what I am talking about..

"Unique" implies that you're the only of something. Are you the only former marine from the Vietnam war on state run health care?

longryder wrote:

If you think we are owed this from a Federal Government so broke it rarely pays attention..than you friend are a loon...

Because you say so.

longryder wrote:

If you think State run health care is the answer than you are not even close to where reality lives..

Were talking about a public option. You're free to quit your Vet healthcare at any time and spend more on a private one if you don't like the service you have. Why aren't you?

longryder wrote:

The Vets Admin is a classic example of how terrible the nabobs at the Federal level are in running anything..

Wonder what party has been screwing up funding for the DVA?

longryder wrote:

It will be the gravest mistake of your lives to get this passed..

Because you say so.

longryder wrote:

But what do I know..40 years of it is hardly enough ..right liberals?

Nope not enough. Your age doesn't mean ****. Plenty of people here older and more experienced than you. I don't plan to back down to your age and experience any more than you plan to back down to theirs.

Welcome to A2K and the free market of ideas. Your intellectual capacity will be your only currency here for however long your stay is.

T
K
O
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:59 pm
From the same article I posted above.
Quote:
According to the report's state-by-state analysis, the five-year increase (2003 to 2008) in employer-based premiums for family coverage averaged 33 percent, ranging from a high of 45 percent in Indiana and North Carolina to an average low of 25 percent in Michigan, Texas, and Ohio. Most states saw increases of 30 percent to 40 percent. By 2008, average family premium costs were highest in Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New Hampshire"topping out at more than $13,500. Idaho, Iowa, and Hawaii had the lowest average family premiums, around $11,000.

"These rapid premium increases aren't sustainable for families or employers," said Commonwealth Fund President Karen Davis. "If we craft patient-centered reform that focuses on improving quality and efficiency and bending the cost curve, the insured in every state stand to benefit. We could assure coverage and, over time, make more money available for wages, retirement, and other family needs." As a result, by 2008 total premiums" including employee and employer shares " equaled or exceeded 18 percent of the average household income for the

The report found that insurance premiums have been rising much faster than income across states.working age population in 18 states, compared to just three states in 2003. In three states"Mississippi, Tennessee and West Virginia"family premiums averaged 20 percent or more of middle household incomes for the state's under-65 population. The stress on businesses and families is particularly acute in Southern and South-central states, where premiums are often high, yet incomes are lower than national averages. In addition, employees are often paying more for less, because as costs rise employers have increased patient cost-sharing while limiting benefits.

Looking at the "big" picture, it's obvious that continued increases in health care premiums is not sustainable - not only for employers, but for individuals and their families.

Why can't people see this reality?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

okie wrote:

I think it's a safe bet that she doesn't believe in Marxism. The universe of non Marxists is large enough to encompass lots of disagreement. Do you equate "leftists" with "Marxists" ? Perhaps you could illuminate us with your definitions of those terms.

It is no safe bet at all. The reason I asked the question is because of her defense of Alinsky, I think clearly a Marxist or something very close to it. I don't usually ask the question because there are lots of liberals that are just liberal, thats all, but I see Debra as something possibly alot more than a plain old liberal. If she isn't, it should be easy to clear up the confusion by providing a simple answer. I don't equate any leftist with marxist, but I do equate extreme leftist with possible marxist.

Actually I think there are a large number of people that simply have not thought the subject through very far, for example, what are the real ramifications of what they believe or what their candidates believe. In regard to Obama, I think the guy has Marxist leanings, and he would never admit this because it is not a popular term, not a term to be proud of. However, look at Alinsky, look at Wright, look at Ayers, look at a few other things in Obama's life and influences, read his books, draw your own conclusions, George, I have my theories. When we have politicians that are not open and honest, then theories are all we have left, and we have to judge on action instead of words. So far, I believe Obama is acting more radical than most people expected.

Quote:
I agree that Debra has not (to my knowledge) addressed the many contradictions and the even greater number of unanswered questions concerning the president's health care plans and the draft bills circulating in the Congress. Instead she has merely cited the plight of the uninsured and criticized the critics of the program. Not very illuminating, but not enough to accuse her as you do.

I am only asking a simple question. Most people are more than happy to clear up any confusion over their core beliefs. Debra so far does not seem anxious to do so.
old europe

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:51 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
When we have politicians that are not open and honest, then theories are all we have left, and we have to judge on action instead of words.

Isn't that exactly the argument George made on that other thread? That, when faced with contradictions between what a politician says to gather support and what he actually does, it makes sense rely more on his actions rather than his words?

Wasn't your answer that you found that line of reasoning "totally incredible" - that reading a book written by a politician or the platform he ran on should be the primary source of determining a politician's beliefs?

Seems like you're trying to have it both ways. Whatever fits your argument, I guess.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:00 pm
@old europe,
okie often runs into these contradictions, because his ability to remember what he posted previously has all been forgotten - as "another issue." He can't see the relationship from one issue to another, because of his extremist views, and that usually gets him into these conflicts. He wants his cake and eat it too! He doesn't realize that he has cake all over his face! LOL
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:09 pm
@old europe,
Actually a good rebuttal, oe, I understand your point. However, I think there are a couple of factors here that are totally different. First of all, the two countries and public moods are totally different than each other, they are distinct situations that do not apply to each other very well. Secondly, Obama never came out with distinct plans of actions I do not believe. Rather, his mantra was change, change, change, and he made many statements of broad political intentions, but in terms of specific, he never gave it to us. That is what we have had to guess about, what he would actually do specifically. He was never open and honest about what he would actually do, but did he actually lie about what he would do in general, not generally in regard to policy I don't think. We knew he would want health care reform and all of that, we knew he would govern in a liberal way. He did lie about not having lobbyists, and about having an open and honest administration, and so forth, but that is not policy, that is management style, etc. But even though Obama gave us no details, and even yet does not, he says enough for us to identify his political leanings. We are still guessing as to what he will do by what he actually does, but we already know he is a leftist.

I hope that clears it up for you, oe. It is really just common sense if you think about it. And maybe you did not, but I read Obama's book and concluded he was a radical leftist. I was still guessing about what he would do, and still am, but I know the general direction he wants to drag us all in. And I don't want to go there.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:13 pm
@okie,
okie, Obama's "plan of action" has always been on his web site. It's not our problem you can't read.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One of Obama's web sites on health care.
Quote:
THE TRUTH: MANY REPUBLICANS HAVE CONTINUALLY MADE FALSE CLAIMS IN THEIR ATTACKS ON HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM.

Republicans have often used misleading facts and blatantly untrue talking points when discussing health insurance reform, often citing studies by groups that are wholly owned by the insurance industry. [1]

Republicans claim that health insurance reform would explode the deficit, when in fact the President has repeatedly said that reform must be deficit-neutral. [2] They have also warned that reform will lead to rationing, a claim that “fall[s] apart on close scrutiny.” [4]

Numerous Republicans, including Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, have falsely described the Democratic plan for health insurance reform as “a government-controlled health care plan” that will deprive over 120 million Americans of their current health care coverage " a claim that independent fact-check organization PolitiFact rated “False.” [4]

These claims, which have been echoed by Republicans across the country, are wholly untrue and have been repeatedly debunked by numerous independent sources. [5]

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT:

[1] “Generally left unsaid amid all the citations is that the Lewin Group is wholly owned by UnitedHealth Group, one of the nation's largest insurers. More specifically, the Lewin Group is part of Ingenix, a UnitedHealth subsidiary that was accused by the New York attorney general and the American Medical Association, a physician's group, of helping insurers shift medical expenses to consumers by distributing skewed data.” [Washington Post, 7/22/09]

[2] Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, in testimony prepared for delivery to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said, “The president is open to good ideas about how we finance health reform. But we are not open to deficit spending. Health reform will be paid for and it will be deficit neutral over ten years.” [Politico, 6/24/09]

[3] “[Republican] arguments fall apart on close scrutiny. The government isn’t mandating that doctors adopt the results of CER [comparative effectiveness research] and it is not rationing care. Each patient has his or her unique needs and the ultimate decision for how to proceed should be left to the doctor and the patient. Currently, approximately one-third of all treatments have never been proven to produce better outcomes; CER would provide doctors with unbiased information about the most effective treatments, help doctors and patients make better informed decisions, and improve the quality of care. Moreover, far from establishing one-size-fits all medicine or dictating treatments, properly conducted CER will actually promote faster adoption of personalized care.” [ThinkProgress.org, 6/19/09]

[4] “120 million ‘deprived’ of health care is not correct. Pence appears to be picking the worst number he can choose. And he doesn't mention the fact that under the scenario laid out by the Lewin Group, people would still have health care coverage and their premiums reduced by 30 to 40 percent. He says the government would ‘deprive’ people of health insurance, when actually the scenario is that they would choose a different option...Finally, we have to include a caveat about the Lewin Group. The group says it operates with editorial independence, but it is a subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group, which also offers private health insurance. Given all this background and explanation, we rated Pence's statement that the government would ‘deprive’ 120 million people of their ‘current health care coverage’ False.” [PolitiFact, 5/19/09]

[5] “Republicans in Washington seem to be shifting into overdrive to keep a health system overhaul from passing Congress before the August recess. Yesterday, July 22, brought two more deceptive assaults (that we know of) on the pending bills, one from Minority Whip Eric Cantor and the other from the top GOP member of the House Immigration Subcommittee, Steve King of Iowa.” [FactCheck.org, 7/23/09]

okie

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One of Obama's web sites on health care.

You've already said Obama lies, so why would you believe his website? I am not. I would believe someone that actually has read an example of a bill. Obama has not even done that. Also, I will believe people that are more believable than Obama, somebody that has some credibility.

Also, Factcheck.org backed by ANNENBERG Public Policy Center is not a neutral site, far from it. You need to start checking some of these sources out, ci.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:04 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
First of all, the two countries and public moods are totally different than each other, they are distinct situations that do not apply to each other very well.

Well, but on that other thread you've posted more than once that you actually are looking at that at other country with your today's views and parameters from the USA.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:24 am
@okie,
Why don't you tell us about the ANNENBERG Public Policy Center and what makes it far from neutral, okie?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:41 am
Heres an interesting article.
Its worth the read.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MWQyZWYxYjE3ZjAzYjlhY2MzMDg3ZDNmMTk4MDBjMDc=

Quote:
Obamacare Version 1.0 is dead. The 1,000-page monstrosity that emerged in various editions from Congress was done in by widespread national revulsion not just at its expense and intrusiveness but at the mendacity with which it is being sold. You don’t need a Ph.D. to see that the promise to expand coverage and reduce costs is a crude deception, or that cutting $500 billion from Medicare without affecting care is a fiction.

revel

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 06:52 am
Oh please, mysteryman, why in the world would you think it worth your time and anyone's else to peddle that load of crap and then call it an interesting read? It was all just a bunch of repeated opinions backed up by absolutely nothing.
0 Replies