IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:05 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So I'm sure that before you'll support Obama and the Democrat's healthcare proposal, you'll want a full and detailed accounting of how the bill will be deficit neutral, right?

Whether I support it depends on which one comes out of committee and yes, I will be wanting a full and detailed accounting of how it will be paid for. I don't necessarily demand that it be deficit neutral itself, but I would like to see the deficit reduced elsewhere to make up for it. For me it's about priorities.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:09 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm not aruging that they can't product the TORT reform values.

I'm arguing that you don't seem to care about real values when I'M talking about the overall cost of Obama's healtcare initiative.

I just wish you were consistant. We either care about real dollars (I do), or we don't.

Why don't you think I care about 'real values?' I do!

I have consistently said that we will be raising taxes - probably including my own - to cover these costs. As long as the amount paid in taxes doesn't exceed the amount people are currently shelling out for health care, it's a net gain for our society; and I think single-payer would save far, far more money than that, even...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:12 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So I'm sure that before you'll support Obama and the Democrat's healthcare proposal, you'll want a full and detailed accounting of how the bill will be deficit neutral, right?

Nothing is deficit-neutral; all expenditures hit our deficit. When we are running long-term debt as we are, it's the wrong way to look at things; taxes which pay for new programs just suck money away from taxes which could service other deficits or the overall debt.

But, the basics are: 8% tax on companies which don't offer health care, sunsetting of the Bush tax cuts, and probably raising taxes on the upper classes and middle classes in addition. Not hard to figure out.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:12 am
@FreeDuck,
Let's put it this way. In Canada and the UK which have government operated health care systems, there are severe limits on the ability of patients to claim restitution for malpractice damages. This isn't an issue there.

Occam described the system, its abuses, and the specific areas meriting reform very well. A key point he made was to limit malpractice awards to actual damages, as opposed to exaggerated claims for feeling bad. California has capped awards on "pain and suffering" (at about $250K) with great good effect. Think about his description of how defendants must deal with frivilous lawsuits when they know the cost of going to court will be at least $100K and predicting what a jury might do is a crapshoot. I urge you to read his piece again.

"Defensive medicine" is costly, unproductive, and significantly increases healthcare costs for everyone. President Obama has spoken (vaguely, as usual) about limiting it through some magic fiat of government brueaucracy. However, he has avoided addressing its real cause. It is this excess use of diagnostic tools, expressly to defend against potential litigation that adds so much unproductive cost to the practice of medicine. it isn't just the cost of the tort awards that drive it. There is a powerful lobby of tort lawyers who campaign actively to preserve the present system. They are among the principal sources of funding for Democrats.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:21 am
@georgeob1,
I don't believe that should create any problems; most specialities have ideas about what should be done with patients with certain ailments, and standardizing procedures only makes sense. The doctor is free to go beyond any standard established, so I don't see where any problem might crop up. Even the hospital would know which doctor's exceed protocol, and which ones are on the short side of any standard. I think it makes a whole lot of sense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:24 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck, I'm with you! I want to know how much it's going to cost, and how they plan to pay for it. I would like to see the health plan somewhat similar to any insurance where the higher priced plan (cadillac) provides more coverage, and the bare minimum ones provides a bit more than just an annual physical. But, I still would like to see some fees based on ability to pay so people will not abuse the system.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

. There is a powerful lobby of tort lawyers who campaign actively to preserve the present system. They are among the principal sources of funding for Democrats.

Damn, I think once again, we're going to have to look for some actual facts to counter your arguments.

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/topcontribs.php?cycle=2008

Here's the 2008 cycle, a list of 'top donors' to both parties from industry groups and PACs. You will note that the 'American Assn for Justice,' formerly the American Trial Association, gave in total 1/8th of that of ActBlue, the Dems' online small-scale funding program.

While the Trial Lawyers association does heavily favor the Democrats, they are not a 'principal source of funding.' Not even close. I think you may be stuck in the past a little on this one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:36 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Let's put it this way. In Canada and the UK which have government operated health care systems, there are severe limits on the ability of patients to claim restitution for malpractice damages. This isn't an issue there.

Ok, but tort reform affects all suits, not just those for malpractice. What sorts of limitations do they have in place?

Again, I understand the principles and the theory very well, I just don't know if it's true in practice.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:38 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh, that all makes perfect sense in theory, but I'd like to see actual data. What were the actual costs to insurance companies for non-economic damages in Texas before they instituted tort reform?
You were right... Texas does make a fine example. I don't believe you could actually put together a strict cause and effect argument like Cyclo seems to think necessary, but Rick Perry put together some "before and after" stats that paint a pretty clear picture HERE.

FreeDuck wrote:
How many of those could be considered frivolous?
Depends on what the fact finder(s) in any particular case decide is or isn't frivolous... and there is certainly no slide-rule. I doubt you could find two people to agree on an answer to that question, which is another reason demands for hard data are unrealistic.

FreeDuck wrote:
What is the ratio of lawsuits to actual medical mistakes? What are the effects on people for whom economic damages would not be much -- children, non-working spouses, the elderly.
Same as anyone else. Actual damages, plus $250,000. Keep in mind, the costs of caring for a seriously handicapped child can be extraordinary, but that doesn't mean his/her parents need more than $250,000 in "feel-good" money, over and above the actual damages.
FreeDuck wrote:
My point is that it's easy to understand and explain how limiting damages and restricting access to the courts will bring down insurance company costs which then should bring down malpractice insurance premiums, but what is not clear is by how much and whether that comes at a cost to patients who actually are injured.
Actually, that's just as easy. Cases with more merit will always be taken first and attorneys, just like judge's and juries, have to make a judgment call on how compelling a case is. Again, this is entirely too subjective to collect hard numbers.
FreeDuck wrote:
Like Cyclo, I'd like to see some actual numbers and not hypothetical ones. I also realize that this is really the only point of contention I have with you as I agree with you on most everything else related to health care.
We do seem to be on pretty much the same page. The problem with yours and Cyclo's desire for "actual numbers" is they don't exist... and moreover can't exist because there is no way to accurately measure just how much of an effect the leverage of the GIANT non-economical award has. What we do know is that the more merit a case has, the more likely it is to be pursued regardless of Tort Reform. It takes little imagination to figure out that as the potential for reward in less merited cases diminishes; the less likely they are to be in court. The Texas link above seems to illustrate this prediction nicely... though it should be noted that Texas's recovery is exaggerated by the fact that so many other jurisdictions have yet to enact Tort Reform. Should the playing field be leveled nationally, I don't think other places recovery will be as swift as what Perry is reporting in Texas.

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:53 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Will look at your Texas info.

OCCOM BILL wrote:

The problem with yours and Cyclo's desire for "actual numbers" is they don't exist... and moreover can't exist because there is no way to accurately measure just how much of an effect the leverage of the GIANT non-economical award has. What we do know is that the more merit a case has, the more likely it is to be pursued regardless of Tort Reform. It takes little imagination to figure out that as the potential for reward in less merited cases diminishes; the less likely they are to be in court. The Texas link above seems to illustrate this prediction nicely... though it should be noted that Texas's recovery is exaggerated by the fact that so many other jurisdictions have yet to enact Tort Reform. Should the playing field be leveled nationally, I don't think other places recovery will be as swift as what Perry is reporting in Texas.

Do award and merit always correlate? What about in the death of a child?
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:59 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:
Depends on what the fact finder(s) in any particular case decide is or isn't frivolous... and there is certainly no slide-rule. I doubt you could find two people to agree on an answer to that question, which is another reason demands for hard data are unrealistic.

Maybe impractical, but if the argument for tort reform is that all these frivolous lawsuits are costing us too much money, I think it's reasonable to ask which ones and how much.

Quote:
Actually, that's just as easy. Cases with more merit will always be taken first and attorneys, just like judge's and juries, have to make a judgment call on how compelling a case is. Again, this is entirely too subjective to collect hard numbers.

I would argue that cases with the potential for highest damages would be taken first. As I said before, I don't know that the size of the damages are always proportional to the merit in the case. If I were an attorney, I might only take cases where a wealthy breadwinner were the victim as they would have the potential for the highest economic damages.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:47 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Do award and merit always correlate? What about in the death of a child?
Not even close and your example is the single best example there is for demonstration. The death of a child is so tragic, a skilled trial attorney, will frequently be able to convince juries to award the grieving parents, even where no actual provable culpability exists. So easy it is to punish the nameless, faceless, evil insurance company while empathizing with the grieving parents. It is almost instinctual to want to do something, anything, to ease their pain... But... having the skill of the trial attorney be the deciding factor is just crazy. A better system would assign a cap. A truly loving parent wouldn't trade their child for a Billion dollars, so it is absurd to believe a GIANT AWARD can ever make them whole. The common sense solution is to cap the amount of such awards in an environment absent the emotional empathy that juries naturally feel. If an entity is truly culpable; we have a criminal side of law to address it. Limitless punitive damages are good for no one but he isolated few: a handful of righteous grievers and trial attorneys who specialize in demonizing doctors.

Such a cap would simultaneously equalize the value of the “rich breadwinner’s” award with that of the poor black family who is no less devastated by the loss of a child for being poor. Pretty nifty side affect, eh?
Advocate

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:56 am
Relative tort reform, the real problem is our stupid jury system. The system dates back to the Middle Ages when most people lived on farms and issues were essentially uncomplicated. I understand that, on the Continent, other than the UK, there is a professional jury of three or four people. There are legions of cases in this country in which jury decisons were a joke.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:59 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Such a cap would simultaneously equalize the value of the “rich breadwinner’s” award with that of the poor black family who is no less devastated by the loss of a child for being poor. Pretty nifty side affect, eh?

How? Are you talking about a cap on economic damages?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

How? Are you talking about a cap on economic damages?
Huh? What's economic about the loss of a child? (And no, I’m not suggesting any economic limit whatsoever.) I'm talking about the “feel good” cap of $250,000. We should be able to agree that it's impossible to place a value on a loved one, so no money award can make the grieving family whole. Wherefore, it is absurd to let random panels of 12 place randomly place 7 and 8 figure values on life, at the expense of us all. 1 cap for black, white, rich or poor will suffice and let genuine culpability be dealt with in criminal court.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:17 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:

Maybe impractical, but if the argument for tort reform is that all these frivolous lawsuits are costing us too much money, I think it's reasonable to ask which ones and how much.
What? You concede that that which is unrealistic is impractical but you still find it reasonable?

No two juries are alike, so attempting to extrapolate data of the kind you seek, from random samplings of people who will never again be assembled to decide anything, will NEVER yield you the results you seek.

FreeDuck wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

I would argue that cases with the potential for highest damages would be taken first. As I said before, I don't know that the size of the damages are always proportional to the merit in the case. If I were an attorney, I might only take cases where a wealthy breadwinner were the victim as they would have the potential for the highest economic damages.
Damages are NOT proportional to merit. Why do you think Edwards specialized on demonizing doctors who deliver babies? People LOVE babies and are therefore far more likely to be sympathetic (with someone else's wallet.) Once again: Cap it, and the cases with the most merit (Merit=culpability*economic damage) will be at the front of the line where they belong... as opposed to "deepest pockets* saddest story."
Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:30 pm
The Medical Malpractice Myth

By Ezra Klein
Posted Tuesday, July 11, 2006, at 6:20 AM ET

Quote:
The Republican answer to runaway health-care spending is to cap jury awards in medical malpractice suits. For the fifth time in four years, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist tried and failed to cap awards at $250,000 during his self-proclaimed "Health Care Week" in May. But this time, the Democrats put a better idea on the table.

Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama also want to save on health care. But rather than capping jury awards, they hope to cut the number of medical malpractice cases by reducing medical errors, as they explain in an article in the New England Journal of Medicine. In other words, to the Republicans, suits and payouts are the ill. To the Democrats, the problem is a slew of medical injuries of which the suits are a symptom. The latest evidence shows the Democrats' diagnosis to be right.

The best attempt to synthesize the academic literature on medical malpractice is Tom Baker's The Medical Malpractice Myth, published last November. Baker, a law professor at the University of Connecticut who studies insurance, argues that the hype about medical malpractice suits is "urban legend mixed with the occasional true story, supported by selective references to academic studies." After all, including legal fees, insurance costs, and payouts, the cost of the suits comes to less than one-half of 1 percent of health-care spending. If anything, there are fewer lawsuits than would be expected, and far more injuries than we usually imagine.

As proof, Baker marshals an overwhelming array of research. The most impressive and comprehensive study is by the Harvard Medical Practice released in 1990. The Harvard researchers took a huge sample of 31,000 medical records, dating from the mid-1980s, and had them evaluated by practicing doctors and nurses, the professionals most likely to be sympathetic to the demands of the doctor's office and operating room. The records went through multiple rounds of evaluation, and a finding of negligence was made only if two doctors, working independently, separately reached that conclusion. Even with this conservative methodology, the study found that doctors were injuring one out of every 25 patients"and that only 4 percent of these injured patients sued.

The Harvard study stands for a large body of literature. On their own, however, the results don't disprove the Republicans' thesis that many medical malpractice suits are frivolous. Maybe badly injured patients don't sue, while the reflexively litigious clog up the legal system, making tort reform a viable solution. But a new study, released in May, demolishes that possibility. Dr. David Studdert led a team of eight researchers from Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and the Harvard Risk Management Foundation* who examined 1,452 medical malpractice lawsuits. They found that more than 90 percent of the claims showed evidence of medical injury, which means they weren't frivolous. In 60 percent of these cases, the injury resulted from physician wrongdoing. In a quarter of the claims, the patient died.

When baseless medical malpractice suits were brought, the study further found, the courts efficiently threw them out. Only six of the cases in which the researchers couldn't detect injury received even token compensation. Of those in which an injury resulted from treatment, but evidence of error was uncertain, 145 out of 515 received compensation. Indeed, a bigger problem was that 236* cases were thrown out of court despite evidence of injury and error to patients by physicians. The other approximately 1,050 cases, in the research team's opinion, were decided correctly, with damage awards going to the injured and dismissal foiling the frivolous suits.*

Nor is there evidence to show that the level of jury awards has shot up. A recent RAND study looked at the growth in malpractice awards between 1960 and 1999. "Our results are striking," the research team concluded. "Not only do we show that real average awards have grown by less than real income over the 40 years in our sample, we also find that essentially all of this growth can be explained by changes in observable case characteristics and claimed economic losses."

Which brings us back to the Republicans' and Democrats' divergent approaches. The Obama-Clinton legislation fits well with Studdert's and RAND's findings. It also builds on successful efforts by the nation's anesthesiologists and a few hospitals to reduce their medical malpractice payouts.

Anesthesiologists used to get hit with the most malpractice lawsuits and some of the highest insurance premiums. Then in the late 1980s, the American Society of Anesthesiologists launched a project to analyze every claim ever brought against its members and develop new ways to reduce medical error. By 2002, the specialty had one of the highest safety ratings in the profession, and its average insurance premium plummeted to its 1985 level, bucking nationwide trends. Similarly, feeling embattled by a high rate of malpractice claims, the University of Michigan Medical System in 2002 analyzed all adverse claims and used the data to restructure procedures to guard against error. Since instituting the program, the number of suits has dropped by half, and the university's annual spending on malpractice litigation is down two-thirds. And at the Lexington, Ky., Veterans Affairs Medical Center, a program of early disclosure and settlement of malpractice claims lowered average settlement costs to $15,000, compared with $83,000 for other VA hospitals.

Clinton and Obama would offer federal grants and support to unroll such programs nationwide. And they want to create a national database to track incidents of malpractice and fund research into standards, procedures, and technologies that would prevent future injuries. So, what say you, Bill Frist? Is it time for another Health Care Week?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:38 pm
CMAJ's study disproves tort reform myths

Posted on April 30, 2009 by Ray Mullman

Quote:
The Canadian Medical Association Journal released a report disproving one of the many myths used by tort "reform" advocates to push their agenda of protecting insurance comapnaies and nurisng home profits.

After years of warnings from former United States president George Bush that "frivolous" medical malpractice lawsuits were driving doctors out of practice and inflating the cost of US health care, the weight of evidence now points to preventable errors " not misguided lawsuits " as the real source of the concerns.

In 6 consecutive State of the Union addresses, beginning in 2003, Bush urged the US Congress to pass what he called medical liability reform. He justified that reform, which urged the capping of pain-and-suffering awards at $250 000, by touting the need to ensure access to health care and to control rising costs.

The reform campaign was conducted against a backdrop of rising insurance premiums for US doctors. Despite the fact that volatile premiums have largely been found to be products of the insurance underwriting cycle (a cycle of gains and losses within the insurance industry), Bush, some Republicans, medical societies, hospitals and insurers exploited the "crisis," pushing lawmakers to make it more difficult for injured patients to sue doctors. In fact, there is no evidence that doctors were hit with increasing numbers of malpractice claims during 2001-2004. Over the past 15 years, states that require insurers to file reports on malpractice claims indicate that rates have remained flat, or have even declined, relative to economic growth and population increases.

The real problem, says Tom Baker, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, is "not too much litigation, but too much malpractice. ... The idea that Americans are suit-happy, litigation-crazy, and ready to rumble in the courts is one of the more amazing myths of our time."

In his 2005 book The Medical Malpractice Myth, Baker claims doctors, patients, legislators and voters have been misdirected and should be seeking ways to prevent malpractice. "It's not pretty to say, but doctors and nurses make preventable mistakes that kill more people in the United States every year than workplace and automobile accidents combined."

The best-available research supports Baker's position. Most Americans injured by medical malpractice do not sue. Most lawsuits are not frivolous, and courts efficiently weed out weak claims. Jury awards have not spiralled out of control, and lawsuits have not reduced access to doctors.

In a landmark study, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences estimated that medical errors kill up to 98 000 US hospital patients each year (Kohn LT, Corrigan JM, Donaldson MS, editors. To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC; 2000). In 2004, Healthgrades, an independent health care ratings company, reported nearly double that figure. Its examination of 37 million patient records from all 50 states, representing 45% of all US hospital admissions, found 195 000 hospital deaths from preventable medical errors annually between 2000 and 2002, (www.healthgrades.com).

"It's really an epidemic," says Joanne Doroshow, who heads the New York-based Center for Justice and Democracy, a nonprofit, nonpartisan consumer rights organization. "It's a terrible problem we have in this country, and I imagine around the world. Hospitals are dangerous places."

Evidence that medical malpractice in the US greatly exceeds malpractice lawsuits has been available since 1974, when California's medical and hospital associations sponsored a study intended to buttress their efforts to get lawmakers to pass tort reform. Instead, it found that doctors and hospitals negligently injured 0.8% of hospital patients (Mills DH, editor. Report on the Medical Insurance Feasibility Study. Sacramento: California Medical Association and California Hospital Association; 1977). A later analysis of the data found that, at most, only 1 in 75 of those injured were compensated (Danzon, Patricia A. Medical Malpractice: Theory, evidence and public policy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1985).

Recent research has confirmed that malpractice is rampant and few medical errors result in legal claims. In 1990, Harvard researchers examined more than 30 000 randomly selected records from New York hospitals. They concluded that 1% of patients were negligently injured, while only 4% of those who were injured, sued (Patients, doctors and lawyers: Medical injury, malpractice litigation, and patient compensation in New York. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1990).

The notion that frivolous lawsuits abound is also unsubstantiated. A 2007 study by Public Citizen showed the court system was "on the whole, a rational one that provides money for valid claims and dismisses invalid ones," (www.citizen.org). Using data from the US government's National Practitioner Data Bank, the consumer nonprofit group concluded that complaints by "the business and medical lobbies are exaggerated and unsupported by the facts."

Harvard researchers reached a similar conclusion when they examined files from 1452 malpractice claims (NEJM 2006;354[19]:2024-33). Almost three-quarters had outcomes consistent with their merit. Only 10% of patients received payouts in the absence of error, while 16% received no payout despite the presence of error. "Portraits of a malpractice system that is stricken with frivolous litigation are overblown," the researchers concluded. The system performs "reasonably well" in dismissing such lawsuits and in compensating the injured.

In addition, there is evidence that jury awards are simply keeping up with the costs of medical care, rather than being out of line. In 2005, Dartmouth College economists studied payments made to patients between 1991 and 2003. Actual payments, not jury awards, grew an average of 4% annually " slowing to 1.6% a year since 2000 " or 52% since 1991, roughly equivalent to increases in health care costs (Health Aff January-June 2005; suppl Web exclusives:W5-240-W5-249). A 2004 RAND study examining 40 years of jury verdicts concluded that average payouts grew by less than real income, with more costly medical care responsible for more than half the growth in jury awards.

In 2007, Americans for Insurance Reform used the insurance industry's own data to show that higher insurance premiums between 2001 and 2004 were not the result of sudden increases in claims and payouts. Instead, payouts per doctor were stable, or fell, with premium increases unconnected to actual payouts. Malpractice insurers "vastly" and "unnecessarily" increased reserves for future claims, the study found, (www.centerjd.org/air/StableLosses2007.pdf).

Even if caps and other limits on torts are imposed, they do not decrease malpractice premiums, according to the Center for Democracy and Justice. In 2002, it compared malpractice premiums to the amount of state-level tort "reform." Premiums did not decrease as tort law was restricted. Some states that resisted enacting changes to malpractice lawsuits had low premium increases; some states that made major changes had high increases. "Laws that restrict the rights of injured consumers to go to court do not produce lower insurance costs or rates," the report concluded. "And insurance companies that claim they do are severely misleading this country's lawmakers," (www.centerjd.org/archives/issues-facts/ANGOFFReport.pdf).

Overall, malpractice insurance and claims account for, at most, 2% of US health care spending, according to the US General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress.

Allegations that the threat of lawsuits and high premiums were driving doctors out of business were also unfounded, according to an extensive investigation by the General Accounting Office into anecdotal stories from 5 "crisis" states, so-classified by the American Medical Association. The investigation concluded that access to health care was not widely affected, and that the number of physician departures were sometimes inaccurate.

The problem of volatile premiums won't be solved without reform of the insurance industry, says Doroshow. In most states, insurance companies can raise rates without government oversight. Requiring companies to justify rate hikes in regulatory hearings could control fluctuations, she says. And forcing malpractice insurance companies to open their books would increase competition in the industry.

The political debate has begun to refocus, a reflection that the real malpractice problem concerns the number of injured patients who don't receive compensation, says Baker. "The political rhetoric has shifted pretty dramatically in that direction."

As a senator, US President Barack Obama recognized the fallacy of the tort-reform remedy. In 2005, Obama and then-Senator Hillary Clinton cosponsored legislation aimed at reducing malpractice suits by reducing the number of patients medical malpractice killed or injured. During his campaign, Obama's health platform called for doctors and hospitals to be required to report preventable errors. He also promised support to providers to create guidelines and technology to prevent future errors.

In the years ahead, as Obama and the Democrats focus on health care reform, US anesthesiologists are likely to serve as the model for patient-safety improvements. Anesthesiologists once sued more than any other speciality and once paid some of the highest malpractice premiums in the country. In the 1980s, the American Society of Anesthesiologists scoured every claim filed against its members to identify unsafe practices and developed new guidelines to reduce errors. The anesthesiologists are now among the safest practitioners, and their insurance rates have fallen. Similarly, some US hospitals have recently examined malpractice claims made against them to find ways to make procedures safer, resulting in fewer lawsuits and lower litigation costs.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:42 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

What? You concede that that which is unrealistic is impractical but you still find it reasonable?

No two juries are alike, so attempting to extrapolate data of the kind you seek, from random samplings of people who will never again be assembled to decide anything, will NEVER yield you the results you seek.

Ok, so on what basis can you (or anyone, not sure if you actually are claiming) that frivolous lawsuits and/or unrealistic awards are driving up health costs? If you can't determine which are frivolous, how can you say they are driving up costs? Surely this idea is based on something other than speculation, no?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Damages are NOT proportional to merit.

I know, that's why I was wondering about the assertion that lawyers would now only take cases with merit because they wouldn't make money otherwise. Although my angle was more about those cases with merit where the award would not be large enough to tempt a lawyer while your angle is those without merit where the award is expected to be large. Same principle, though.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
Read my detailed explanation on the previous page... the one George urged you to re-read. If that isn't sufficient, I can't help you.