IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:05 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

So the young folks who are opting out of employer coverage, are they buying private plans or just going without?

This is totally weird. To set up a sec 125 Premium Only plan, we went with AFLAC. They annually completed a required form, the number of which I've forgotten, and did the calculations to prove the plan was nondiscriminatory. In return, they got to market their stuff to company employees. Many people went for it, maybe because the policies were also paid with pretax income. Disability was popular, possibly because of the nature of the work. None of the plans paid any part of a doctor or hospital bill, though, and in my opinion were essentially worthless. The hospitalization policy, for example, paid something like $100.00 for every day in the hospital, and paid direct to the policyholder. So what? What the heck is $100.00 if you are hospitalized? They had a range of products including cancer, vision, accident (different than hospital or disability), dental, and you name it. All of them had about equal value in my opinion, and in combination often exceeded the employee portion of the company sponsored medical insurance.

Really, I wanted to get together with a few of the field workers, break a 2 X 4 over their heads to get their attention, and then offer some serious advice. You can't do that, though. As soon as you tell someone to reject the cancer policy, lo and behold, who is going to come down with cancer?

Similar stuff is offered by Allstate, neither much better, nor much worse. Point is, these companies are there to make money. Not that that's a bad thing, but they are motivated to get out there and sell to the employees. On the other hand, a company offering to pay 2/3 of actual medical insurance is not highly motivated to sell the plan. Two thirds is a great big expense. Company portion usually ran around $8,000.00 per month, and this was a small company with a normal roster of 50 employees.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:09 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I suppose it sounds expensive. However recognize that the all up cost of ownership of an automobile is about $7,000/year. Do we need government managed or subsidized automobiles???
No George. People don't need automobiles. People do, however, need Police, Fire, Childhood education and Healthcare.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
No George. People don't need automobiles.

Bullshit....until and unless we have a public transit system that is about ten times better than it is now, to include a national rail system on par with the rest of the developed world, autos are not optional.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Point is, these companies are there to make money.
And therein lies the problem, really. A profit motivated Fire Department, Police Department, or Public School wouldn't make much sense either... but somehow profit motivated basic Health Care does? I don't see Health Care as any less compelling of a need than the other 3 examples, so I can ill imagine why so many would argue so adamantly to keep profit minded parasites in the system.

For the record, I think the idea of providing insurance for everyone is idiotic. People don't need Health Insurance; they need Health Care. Some realistic Tort Reform and a Single Payer System (that refocused the private research groups on cures, rather than maintenance treatments via bounties) would be in the vast majority of the citizens' best interest.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:25 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

No George. People don't need automobiles. People do, however, need Police, Fire, Childhood education and Healthcare.

Think about what you wrote !

Perhaps we will get health care with all the vaunted efficiency, focus on client service, and attention to real outcomes that characterize our public schools.

Besides, it depends on how you define need. People need food and shelter even more than health care.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:34 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Think about what you wrote !

Perhaps we will get health care with all the vaunted efficiency, focus on client service, and attention to real outcomes that characterize our public schools.
Better schools for 80% of our children, while 20% were left to learn on their own would hardly be an improvement.

georgeob1 wrote:

Besides, it depends on how you define need. People need food and shelter even more than health care.
Indeed they do... and on the most basic levels they should have it, regardless of how stupid their choices may be.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, I agree.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:24 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

For the record, I think the idea of providing insurance for everyone is idiotic. People don't need Health Insurance; they need Health Care. Some realistic Tort Reform and a Single Payer System (that refocused the private research groups on cures, rather than maintenance treatments via bounties) would be in the vast majority of the citizens' best interest.

Nods. I'm not sold on the positive effects of Tort Reform but I agree about the rest. Health Insurance has been the means to get that health care, but it's unlike any other type of insurance out there. I can't imagine my auto insurance paying for oil changes or my home owners insurance paying for yard maintenance or plumbing repairs. We've been twisting ourselves into pretzels to avoid a single payer system and we have the hydra health insurance system to show for it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:28 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Nods. I'm not sold on the positive effects of Tort Reform but I agree about the rest. Health Insurance has been the means to get that health care, but it's unlike any other type of insurance out there. I can't imagine my auto insurance paying for oil changes or my home owners insurance paying for yard maintenance or plumbing repairs. We've been twisting ourselves into pretzels to avoid a single payer system and we have the hydra health insurance system to show for it.

One would think that there would be reams of evidence available, probably provided by the insurance industry itself, proving that Med. Malpractice cases really are driving the costs of insurance up; yet, this data mysteriously fails to materialize when proponents of the concept are questioned on it. So I don't buy it.

Back to health care,

Quote:
TPMDC
Is The White House Ready To Ditch Republicans And Turn to Reconciliation?
Brian Beutler | August 24, 2009, 9:37AM

After fruitlessly seeking a bipartisan compromise on health care reform for months, the White House seems to have finally realized that Republicans have no interest in compromising and that progressives are fed up with making nice. Now, the administration is preparing to go it alone, even if that means passing reform on a straight party-line vote.

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, and even President Obama himself have all suggested that they don't think the GOP is serious about reaching a bipartisan health care reform compromise--and with key Republicans suggesting that they'll vote against a bill that doesn't also have the support of a majority of their own party, it's only one logical step to the conclusion that the administration has accepted that health care reform will be the latest initiative to move forward along party lines.

Over the weekend an anonymous source told Bloomberg that the White House is "devising a strategy to pass a measure by relying only on the Democratic majority in each house of Congress."

And former Senate Majority Leader (and Obama confidant) Tom Daschle says Obama's giving up on the GOP. "He's waited and waited," Daschle said after a meeting with the President on Friday. "He has indicated, much to the chagrin of people in his party, that virtually everything's on the table. And he's gotten almost nothing in return for it."

Meanwhile, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) also says Democrats are ready to move forward on their own.

The rumblings are unmistakable. What remains to be seen is how the GOP responds to the threat and, if they don't respond to Obama's liking, whether the Democrats will carry out the threat.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/08/is-the-white-house-ready-to-ditch-republicans-and-turn-to-reconciliation.php

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:41 am
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8374/storyy.jpg

Cycloptichorn
revel

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
ain't it the truth. In any a way its not even funny its so true.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

One would think that there would be reams of evidence available, probably provided by the insurance industry itself, proving that Med. Malpractice cases really are driving the costs of insurance up; yet, this data mysteriously fails to materialize when proponents of the concept are questioned on it. So I don't buy it.

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo has relatively little experience in life and he spends entirely too much time on the internet. Perhaps he has come to believe that it is the reality in which he lives.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:14 am
@georgeob1,
Was that necessary?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:17 am
@FreeDuck,
Yes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:23 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo has relatively little experience in life and he spends entirely too much time on the internet. Perhaps he has come to believe that it is the reality in which he lives.

Is it really necessary to be such an ass, George? This comment of yours has no relevance to the discussion, and doesn't reflect well upon you; it also is not typical of your posting.

Surely you would agree with me, that those who put forth assertions should be willing to back them up with documented facts. It seems that lately you have become annoyed with my insistence that you do so. Why is this? I am doing nothing more than asking you to source your arguments. Arguing from assertion is unproductive and just boils down to people ceaselessly repeating their political viewpoints.

I was thinking of you today when I saw this -

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/seven-falsehoods-about-health-care/

Quote:
False: Medicare Benefits Will Be Slashed

The claim that Obama and Congress are cutting seniors’ Medicare benefits to pay for the health care overhaul is outright false, though that doesn’t keep it from being repeated ad infinitum.

The truth is that the pending House bill extracts $500 billion from projected Medicare spending over 10 years, as scored by the Congressional Budget Office, by doing such things as trimming projected increases in the program’s payments for medical services, not including physicians. Increases in other areas, such as payments to doctors, bring the net savings down to less than half that amount. But none of the predicted savings " or cuts, depending on one’s perspective " come from reducing current or future benefits for seniors.

The president has promised repeatedly that benefit levels won’t be reduced, reiterating the point recently in Portsmouth, N.H.:

Obama, Aug. 11: Another myth that we’ve been hearing about is this notion that somehow we’re going to be cutting your Medicare benefits. We are not.

Is he wrong? Not according to AARP, by far the nation’s largest organization representing the over-50 population. In a "Myths vs. Facts" rundown, AARP says:

AARP: Fact: None of the health care reform proposals being considered by Congress would cut Medicare benefits or increase your out-of-pocket costs for Medicare services.

So, yeah. You are wrong on one of your major claims against the current health care proposal.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Surely you would agree with me, that those who put forth assertions should be willing to back them up with documented facts. It seems that lately you have become annoyed with my insistence that you do so. Why is this? I am doing nothing more than asking you to source your arguments. Arguing from assertion is unproductive and just boils down to people ceaselessly repeating their political viewpoints.

It depends on the assertion. Some level of general knowledge, and the ability to distinguish between propaganda and reality, are necessary precursors to any intewlligent conversation. Moreover, not all "documented facts" - even those published on the web by advocacy groups - are really true or able to withstand just a little scrutiny.

You have provided us with a good example;

Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/seven-falsehoods-about-health-care/

Quote:
False: Medicare Benefits Will Be Slashed

The claim that Obama and Congress are cutting seniors’ Medicare benefits to pay for the health care overhaul is outright false, though that doesn’t keep it from being repeated ad infinitum.

The truth is that the pending House bill extracts $500 billion from projected Medicare spending over 10 years, as scored by the Congressional Budget Office, by doing such things as trimming projected increases in the program’s payments for medical services, not including physicians. Increases in other areas, such as payments to doctors, bring the net savings down to less than half that amount. But none of the predicted savings " or cuts, depending on one’s perspective " come from reducing current or future benefits for seniors.

So, yeah. You are wrong on one of your major claims against the current health care proposal.

Cycloptichorn

Let's look at the statement itself. The pending House Bill cuts an annual average of $50 billion/year from Medicare spending for the next ten years (that's as far as they project). These cuts come from various medical services, not including direct payments to doctors.

In the first place the great majority of real medical costs are for those "various services' which include everything from hospitals to diagnostic services. So the implication here that medical care will not be afffected is patently deceptive.

In the second place, $50 billion/year is a lot of money. The population of the country is about 305 million, of which about 12.6% are over 65. Let's assume 95% of them are eligible for medicare (a generous assumption, given the number of illegals here). That yields about 36.5 million Medicare beneficiaries and therefore cuts of about $1,700/year per beneficiary for these services. That is roughly about 25% of my routine annual medical expenses for myself and my wife.

Medicare payments by the government are set unilaterally by a Federal bureaucracy that takes no note of variations from the average or, for that matter, the willingness of providers to accept their payments (and the restrictions that go with them) as final. It is simply a fact that rapidly increasing numbers of doctors and other medical service providers are already refusing to accept more Medicare only patients. I can't - with any reasonable effort -find you a web site that will "confirm' this, but I do know from my own direct experience that it is true. I am fortunate in that I have other options and the ability to pay the difference.

As I recall it was an AARP web site that you linked here. The AARP styles itself as an advocacy group, but the fact is it is in the health insurance business and is itself a major provider of Medicare services for the government. It has powerful vested interests at stake in this issue. It is interesting that news reports suggest that hundreds of thousands of former members have quit this organization lately over this issue.

Bottom line is that your linked "facts" aren't facts at all. Moreover, even if one accepts them as literally true, they are not conclusive to the point you are making and for which you cite the statement as conclusive proof.

It is relatively easy to conduct a duel of conflicting assertions locatable on the web. Discovering the truth, however, requires much more than that. In particular a little independent thinking; a skeptical and critical view of the source for alleged conclusions; a willingness to look behind the superficial "facts" to discover their probable meaning given the way things usually work out; and a little insight into the likely motives and drivers for the behavior of politicians are all necessary tools. Links on the web hardly scratch the surface.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

It depends on the assertion. Some level of general knowledge, and the ability to distinguish between propaganda and reality, are necessary precursors to any intewlligent conversation.

I do not find you to be particularly above average when it comes to being able to distinguish between 'propaganda and reality.' Your repeated insistence that there is no need to back up your assertions is weak and makes for worthless and repetitive conversations.

Quote:

As I recall it was an AARP web site that you linked here.

Are you discussing the last post I made with a link in it? That was not to AARP, but to Factcheck.org; who are not health insurance providers and have no reason to lie whatsoever.

Quote:

Bottom line is that your linked "facts" aren't facts at all. Moreover, even if one accepts them as literally true, they are not conclusive to the point you are making and for which you cite the statement as conclusive proof.

Actually, they are facts; they are not opinion. Only you are offering unsourced opinions here.

If you had read the piece more carefully, you would have noted this line:

Quote:
ncreases in other areas, such as payments to doctors, bring the net savings down to less than half that amount. But none of the predicted savings " or cuts, depending on one’s perspective " come from reducing current or future benefits for seniors.

So, when you state:

Quote:
That yields about 36.5 million Medicare beneficiaries and therefore cuts of about $1,700/year per beneficiary for these services. That is roughly about 25% of my routine annual medical expenses for myself and my wife.

Not only are your numbers incorrect, your entire premise runs counter to the conclusion of Factcheck.org. They link to supporting evidence on their site; you merely assert you are correct. Nobody is being convinced by your assertions.

Quote:

It is relatively easy to conduct a duel of conflicting assertions locatable on the web. Discovering the truth, however, requires much more than that. In particular a little independent thinking; a skeptical and critical view of the source for alleged conclusions; a willingness to look behind the superficial "facts" to discover their probable meaning given the way things usually work out; and a little insight into the likely motives and drivers for the behavior of politicians are all necessary tools. Links on the web hardly scratch the surface.

Linking to nothing and arguing purely from assertion doesn't even come close to scratching the surface, George. You have made statements which are demonstrably false on this issue and refused to provide any substantiation for many other statements. That's not 'discovering the truth,' that's 'forwarding your unsourced opinion.'

I wonder what your motives and drivers are, re: health care? I think I have an insight or two. Perhaps that will help me discover the truth here?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

One would think even a casual perusal of Medical Malpractice Insurance rates would suffice. The most rudimentary understanding of risk/reward ratios should eliminate the need for more specific correlation.

A doctor paying $200,000 annually in premiums is a doctor charging $200,000 more for his services than his services would otherwise cost. Common sense mandates that if coverage could be profitably sold for less than the going rates; it would be. Further, a quick stop at Wiki will tell you that over half of the dough doled out pays for the cost of litigation, not medicine. Further reading will enlighten you to the fact that the bulk of the average award, is NOT for economic damages. This means, under our current system, it can be very profitable to be damaged, and almost limitlessly possible to be the attorney handling the case.

To exasperate the problem even further; many jurisdictions have already went ahead and instituted Tort Reform (like your home state, for instance)(that coincidentally used to be a high premium state and is now on the low end of the spectrum). This means Doctors who get picked on the most, like OBGYN's, can avoid exorbitant Insurance premiums by relocating to a jurisdiction with more favorable laws. This results in a shortage of qualified health care providers and especially specialists in area's that have not yet instituted reform. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that, as always, the poorer communities are the first to go without.

Think of a national Tort Reform in terms of leveling the playing field for all citizens in need (which we ALL are), as well as a way to lower the overall costs of healthcare in general. The only losers are the attorneys who specialize in demonizing doctors, and the proportionately insignificant few who receive wheel-barrels full of money in awards... as if dirty paper could ever really make up for the loss of a loved one... or anything else that really matters.
spendius

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Obviously it can't Bill but what you say does suggest that the money has a high priority.

It's only "dirty paper" if the ones who have it think it is. When they spend it it is a clean as any other paper.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:38 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
One would think even a casual perusal of Medical Malpractice Insurance rates would suffice. The most rudimentary understanding of risk/reward ratios should eliminate the need for more specific correlation.

Sorry, but you need to be doing more than casual searches if you want to find the truth of the situation, Bill.

For your perusal -

http://www.insurance-reform.org/TrueRiskF.pdf

http://savvyconsumer.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/new-study-finds-medical-malpractice-insurance-premiums-have-minimal-effect-on-health-care-costs/

Quote:
New Study Finds Medical Malpractice Insurance Premiums have Minimal Effect on Health Care Costs
Filed under: health " Tags: medical malpractice " savvyconsumer @ 2:11 pm

By Amos Budde, NCL Public Policy Intern

Americans for Insurance Reform, a coalition made up of Consumer Federation of America, ConsumerWatchdog.org and nearly 100 other public interest organizations, released a major study Wednesday on the state of the medical malpractice insurance industry. It found that insurance rates for doctors have dropped significantly while the medical malpractice insurers are earning record profits. The conclusion is that the cost of medical malpractice insurance is not crippling doctors and that large profits are going to the insurance industry.

Specifically, the study found, adjusting for inflation, that:

* Medical malpractice premiums are nearly the lowest they have been in 30 years.
* Medical malpractice claims are down 45 percent since 2000.
* Medical malpractice insurer profits are higher than the rest of the property casualty industry, which has been very profitable over the last five years.
* In states that have substantially limited consumers’ ability to go to court for medical malpractice, the insurance premiums for doctors are basically the same as in other states.

As the health care debate heats up, there will be an increased effort to reduce the costs of health insurance. This study suggests that medical malpractice is not a significant cause of skyrocketing health costs. In fact, medical malpractice claims constitute one-fifth of one percent of annual health care costs in the country, according to the report. Cutting costs through medical malpractice reform is not likely to result in significant savings in health care reform legislation.

There simply isn't the evidence to back up the theory that Medical Malpractice costs are driving health care costs - period. There has been no real increase in malpractice awards, in either terms of frequency or amount awarded, in the last decade - yet insurance costs have doubled or more in that time frame. Why? If Tort claims are a leading cause of the rise in health care costs, you would expect to see that claims and payouts have risen. The data doesn't square with the argument being put forth.

Quote:

A doctor paying $200,000 annually in premiums is a doctor charging $200,000 more for his services than his services would otherwise cost.

Two hundred grand? Where are you getting that number from? I can't find any substantiation that the average doctor pays anywhere near that, and the numbers I can find for Neurosurgeons and Obstetricians are a quarter of that, tops.

Here's another study:

http://www.citizen.org/documents/NPDB_Report_200907.pdf

Quote:

Report finds med-mal payments at a record low

Here is an attention-grabbing tidbit: The total number of medical malpractice lawsuit payments made in 2008 fell to a record low.

That’s according to a recent report from Public Citizen, a national nonprofit public interest organization.

The payments, which include settlements between plaintiffs and physicians as well as judgments rendered against physicians, are currently at the lowest rate in history, the report said.

Hard to see how the 'lowest payoff rate in history' is causing rises in health-care costs.

You state,

Quote:
Common sense mandates that if coverage could be profitably sold for less than the going rates; it would be.

It can be sold for less, and it is not. Malpractice insurance is extremely profitable. Insurance companies profiting in the billions of dollars per year could cut rates if they wanted to.

---

It is exactly things like this that I am talking about. If you would bother to post actual facts or links to support your case, it would be more than your opinion. Right now, I have several sources who state that your opinion is dead wrong. What makes you correct, and them incorrect? This is the peril of arguing from assertion: it is not compelling.

Cycloptichorn