IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:19 am
IRS The New Health Care Enforcer
People often joke that government-run health care will have the efficiency of the motor vehicle department, and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service. This joke will become reality if present Democratic health restructuring proposals are enacted.

Under both the House and Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee bills released to the public, the Internal Revenue Service will play a key role in monitoring and enforcing health care mandates against individual taxpayers. Yet the introduction of the IRS into the health care system has received scant attention.

The Senate bill imposes a new requirement that all persons who provide health care coverage to others must file a return with the IRS listing the names, addresses, social security numbers, and the coverage period for each person, and "such other information as the Secretary [of Health and Human Services] may prescribe." (Section 161(b) starting at page 107). The bill does not limit what information the Secretary may request, so it is conceivable and likely that information as to the nature of the coverage, the family members included, and other details will be reported to the IRS.

The House bill contains similar provisions in section 401(b) (at pp. 175-176). The following information must be reported by the person providing health coverage:

(A) the name, address, and TIN of the primary insured and the name of each other individual obtaining coverage under the policy, (B) the period for which each such individual was provided with the coverage referred to in subsection (a), and (C) such other information as the Secretary may require.

This information is to be provided to the IRS for good reason. The House bill provides for a tax on people who do not have acceptable coverage at "any time" during the tax year. House bill section 401 provides for a new section 59B (at pp. 167-168) of the Internal Revenue Code:

(a) TAX IMPOSED."In the case of any individual who does not meet the requirements of subsection (d) at any time during the taxable year, there is hereby imposed a tax equal to 2.5 percent of the excess of"
(1) the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income for the taxable year, over
(2) the amount of gross income specified in section 6012(a)(1) with respect to the taxpayer.

The Senate version is similar, although the tax is called a "shared responsibility payment" not a tax. Section 161 (at pp. 103-104) words new section 59B of the IRC to require lack of coverage for a month (subject to certain exemptions) before the tax kicks in, and does not specify a specific percentage, but instead, directs that annually

the Secretary shall seek to establish the minimum practicable amount that can accomplish the goal of enhancing participation in qualifying coverage (as so defined).

The reporting requirements can only be understood in this tax context. In order to know which taxpayers to tax, the IRS needs to know which taxpayers do not have coverage received from someone else (normally, an employer).

These reporting provisions would allow the IRS to cross-check income tax returns and health coverage filings, and withhold tax refunds or utilize other collection methods for persons who do not have coverage unless they can prove they have acceptable coverage from some other source. This is similar to the cross-checking the IRS does on income reported separately by the person making the payment and the taxpayer receiving the payment. But for the first time the IRS is not checking for income to tax, but for lack of health coverage.

These provisions should have people interested in privacy greatly concerned. While income information already is reported to the IRS, the IRS traditionally has not received personal health care information about individuals.

The IRS involved in health care monitoring and enforcement. Somehow, I doubt that most supporters of Democratic health care restructuring concepts will like this detail. But it's in there.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:25 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

FreeDuck wrote:

Speaking of what America is about, have you ever heard the phrase, "majority rule, minority rights"?

I prefer individual rights. I consider myself an individual, not part of a minority or a majority.

Sure. But that still implies majority rule.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
Here are 10 awesome reasons to pass health reform.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20090816_10_awesome_things_that_would_happen_if_health_reform_passes/
okie

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:51 am
@Advocate,
Here is one more awesome reason for not going to government run health care for the entire country:

LIBERTY

More than a few people agree:

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
@McGentrix,
You know why, it's in there, right McG? Because the single payer option is off the table and they are still trying to create universal coverage solely with private insurance. This requires a mandate that people purchase insurance to make sure that everybody is in the pool. I don't like it, but it's there because they are trying to provide a social service using private industry.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:18 am
@okie,
okie, Why do you insist in saying "government run health care?" You are the problem with trying to promote universal health care, because you continue to spread rumors and lies, and the majority are confused about the facts. Please show us where in the congress' plans it shows government is going to take over health care?

Quit jerking off for crying out loud!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:20 am
Here comes the Gestapo again:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/18/house-dems-seek-records-health-insurers/

"House Dems Seek Records From Health Insurers
Requests for financial information issued at a time when Obama's health care proposal is under intense attack from Republicans and other critics, including the health insurance industry.

WASHINGTON -- Democrats on a House committee are seeking detailed financial records from dozens of large insurance companies, officials disclosed Tuesday, part of an investigation into "executive compensation and other business practices" in an industry opposed to President Barack Obama's plan to overhaul health care."

Heres what taxpayers would like:

More detailed financial records of Congress, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac, plus alot more accountability out of the government, such as where all the money is going. I would also like to see the crooks in Fannie and Freddie prosecuted.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
I'd love to see where the Health Insurance lobbying money is going. My guess is it is a primary driver behind the organization of protests.

In other news, more and more Republicans are being caught in lies, re: health care reform. This time, it's Roy Blunt, lying his ass off, and his hometown newspaper catches him -

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090819/OPINIONS02/908190410&plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:de5914c7-a167-4b4f-b2d7-f1e40afcc5fe

Quote:
August 19, 2009

The (un)truth about health reform

Editor's note: U.S Rep. Roy Blunt also made the same claim about hip surgery to editors and editorial advisory board members at the News-Leader during a recent interview.

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Aug. 17, 2009:

As chairman of the House Republican Health Care Solutions Group, Rep. Roy Blunt, R-Springfield, knows a thing or two about health care. But some of what he knows just isn't true.

"I'm 59," Mr. Blunt said last week during a meeting with Post-Dispatch reporters and editors. "In either Canada or Great Britain, if I broke my hip, I couldn't get it replaced."

We fact-checked that. At least 63 percent of hip replacements performed in Canada last year and two-thirds of those done in England were on patients age 65 or older. More than 1,200 in Canada were done on people older than 85.

"I didn't just pull that number out of thin air," Mr. Blunt said in a subsequent interview. It came, he said, from testimony before the House Subcommittee on Health by "some people who are supposed to be experts on Canadian health care."

"I had been given that example. I was told that 59 is the cutoff," he said.

"I'm glad you pointed that out to me. I won't use that example any more."

Mr. Blunt is a sincere man. We have no doubt he'll keep his word. But he's not the only Republican leader who has his facts wrong about British and Canadian health care. And some of his colleagues are a bit less contrite.

Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, recently claimed that in England, Sen. Ted Kennedy would have been denied treatment for his brain cancer.

The English National Health Service has denied that claim.
The head of a related health agency complained about "untrue or misinformed" comments. And the president of the British Medical Association decried such "jaw-droppingly untruthful attacks."

It shouldn't matter. None of the health reform plans being considered by Congress would create an English- or Canadian-style health system here. But opponents of reform sometimes are careless with the facts.

For example, Mr. Blunt was asked how long an uninsured American would wait for a hip replacement.

"If they go to the emergency room, I think they can get that done," he said.

Emergency rooms don't do hip replacements, which require both hospital care and weeks of rehabilitation. They do emergency surgery, necessary to save a life.

St. Louis hospitals offer discounts to patients who are poor and uninsured.

But patients often are asked to make substantial down payments before surgery; they don't hobble through the ER door and get them done for free.

In the same interview, Mr. Blunt minimized the number of people without health insurance in part by maximizing the number who are illegal immigrants.

"Ten to 12 million of them are in the country illegally. Everyone sort of agrees on that," Mr. Blunt said. It's a common refrain by opponents of reform.

In fact, the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation puts the number of uninsured who are immigrants both legal and illegal at about 9 million.

The National Institute for Health Care Management, another nonpartisan group, estimates that about 5.6 million illegal immigrants are among the 45.7 million people who were uninsured in 2007.

Mr. Blunt says his figure, which he later lowered to "about 8 million" is based on a Congressional Budget Office estimate.

Alas, that's not exactly what the CBO document says. It says 17 million people in America still would be uninsured 10 years from now if the House health reform bill is approved. About half of those people would be illegal immigrants.

Health care policy is complicated, no doubt about it. Not everyone understands it. But everyone, particularly responsible political leaders, at least should try to get the facts straight.

Tide is turning.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
@okie,
okie, Posting articles from FOX News is a waste of time; most of us, I'm sure, don't bother to read it, and it takes up cyberspace with junk - like your personal opinions that we tolerate to show how stupid you are!
okie

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

okie, Posting articles from FOX News is a waste of time; most of us, I'm sure, don't bother to read it, and it takes up cyberspace with junk - like your personal opinions that we tolerate to show how stupid you are!

Heres another Fox News article, according to you a waste of time, but not to me, as it appears Axelrod could be profiting, or possibly relatives or associates could be profiting? --- for insiders work being done. I think it needs some checking out, ci, how about you?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/19/consulting-firm-tied-white-house-given-millions-health-care-ad-campaign/

"AKPD Message and Media, founded by Axelrod, along with firm GMMB, were paid $12 million by Health Economy Now and Americans for Stable Quality Care, a coalition that includes Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America, or PhRMA, to produce ads promoting President Obama's health care reform.

The firms received over $300 million to manage ads for Obama's presidential campaign.

Axelrod left the firm on Dec. 31, 2008, with the agreement that it owed him $2 million -- and some Republican critics now question whether the firm was hired to indirectly fund his severance package.

The House Republican Conference issued a one-page memo Tuesday, questioning the sincerity of the administration's calls for change and transparency. "As the pharmaceutical industry spends hundreds of millions supporting a government takeover of health care, some may wonder whether White House senior advisors earning millions of dollars paid for in part by the pharmaceutical industry represents the kind of change American can believe in?"

Axelrod, a veteran journalist and former columnist with the Chicago Tribune, founded AKPD Message and Media in 1984 following his work managing Paul Simon's victorious U.S. Senate campaign.

The firm, formerly known as Axelrod and Associates, provides consulting and advertising for Democratic candidates and causes. Axelrod's son, Michael, joined AKPD in 2006 as the firm's research director. AKPD also employed Obama's presidential campaign manager David Plouffe as a partner beginning in 2003.

...."

Advocate

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:39 am
I found this very depressive. Basically, the insurance companies and pharma will continue to gouge the rest of us, and they call the shots.

Reform the insurers can love
Posted: Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2009

It's never a contest when the interests of big business are pitted against the public interest. So if we manage to get health care “reform” this time around it will be the kind of reform that benefits the very people who have given us a failed system, and thus made reform so necessary.

Forget about a crackdown on price-gouging drug companies and predatory insurance firms. That's not happening. With the public pretty well confused about what is going on, we're headed " at best " toward changes that will result in a lot more people getting covered, but that will not control exploding health care costs and will leave industry leaders feeling as if they've hit the jackpot.

The hope of a government-run insurance option is all but gone. So there will be no effective alternative for consumers in the market for health coverage, which means no competitive pressure for private insurers to rein in premiums and other charges. (Forget about the nonprofit cooperatives. That's like sending peewee footballers up against the Super Bowl champs.)

Insurance companies delighted

Insurance companies are delighted with the way “reform” is unfolding. Think of it: The government is planning to require most uninsured Americans to buy health coverage. Millions of young and healthy individuals will be herded into the industry's welcoming arms. This is the population the insurers drool over.

This additional business " a gold mine " will more than offset the cost of important new regulations that, among other things, will prevent insurers from denying coverage to applicants with pre-existing conditions or imposing lifetime limits on benefits. Poor people will either be funneled into Medicaid, which will have its eligibility ceiling raised, or receive a government subsidy to help with buying private insurance.

If the oldest and sickest are on Medicare, the poorest are on Medicaid, and the young and healthy are required to buy private insurance without a competing government-run plan " well, that's reform the insurance companies can believe in.

And then there are the drug companies. A couple of months ago the Obama administration made a secret and extremely troubling deal with the drug industry's lobbying arm, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America. The lobby agreed to contribute $80 billion in savings over 10 years and to sponsor a multimillion-dollar ad campaign in support of health care reform.

High fives at the drug lobby

The White House, for its part, agreed not to seek more savings from the drug companies over those 10 years. This resulted in big grins and high fives at the drug lobby. The White House was rolled. The deal meant the government's ability to use its vast purchasing power to negotiate lower drug prices was off the table.

The $80 billion in savings (in the form of discounts) would apply only to a certain category of Medicare recipients " those who fall into a gap in their drug coverage known as the doughnut hole " and only to brand-name drugs. (Drug industry lobbyists probably chuckled, knowing that some patients would switch from generic drugs to the more expensive brand names in order to get the industry-sponsored discounts.)

To get a sense of how sweet a deal this is for the drug industry, compare its offer of $8 billion in savings a year over 10 years with its annual profits of $300 billion a year. Robert Reich, labor secretary in the Clinton administration, wrote that the deal struck by the Obama White House was similar to the “deal George W. Bush struck in getting the Medicare drug benefit, and it's proven a bonanza for the drug industry.”

The bonanza to come would be even larger, he said, “given all the Boomers who will be enrolling in Medicare over the next decade.”

While it is undoubtedly important to bring as many people as possible under the umbrella of health coverage, the way it is being done now does not address what Obama and so many other advocates have said is a crucial component of reform " bringing the ever-spiraling costs of health care under control. Those costs, we're told, hamstring the U.S. economy, making us less competitive globally and driving up the budget deficit.

The missing option

Giving consumers the choice of an efficient, nonprofit, government-run insurance plan would have moved us toward real cost control. But that option has gone a-glimmering.

The public deserves better. The drug companies, the insurance industry and the rest of the corporate high-rollers have their tentacles all over this so-called reform effort, squeezing it for all it's worth.

Meanwhile, the public " struggling with the worst economic downturn since the 1930s " is looking on with anxiety and confusion. If the drug companies and the insurance industry are smiling, it can only mean that the public interest is being left behind.

Bob Herbert is a columnist for The New York Times, 620 Eighth Ave., New York, NY 10018-1405.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:11 am
Medicare charges three percent for overhead. Private insurers charge 30 percent for CEO salaries, profit, and overhead. Does this not say it all?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/opinion/commentary/article/ED-MILL12_20090710-195604/279279/

High Seas

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@Advocate,
It does say it all but not in the sense you intended. Medicare writes checks for all bills submitted to it, without ever doing any investigation on their origins. The FBI does fraud investigations, and their cost is covered in a different budget.

If you're going to do that, 3% overhead is too high, overhead should be zero - you can get a machine to do it automatically. The sheer dishonesty in this debate is staggering.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:27 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

It does say it all but not in the sense you intended. Medicare writes checks for all bills submitted to it, without ever doing any investigation on their origins. The FBI does fraud investigations, and their cost is covered in a different budget.

If you're going to do that, 3% overhead is too high, overhead should be zero - you can get a machine to do it automatically. The sheer dishonesty in this debate is staggering.

Any substantiation for this? Or is this another one of the Republican 'Magical Assertions(tm)!' which have replaced informed debate?

Cycloptichorn
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:37 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Machines aren't free.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:48 am
@okie,
okie, People like you are dangerous to our country. You spread misinformation as if they are facts, but are indeed outright lies. Today's San Jose Mercury News has an article titled "Polls shows public short on facts." Subtitle is "Many believe myths about Obama's health care plan." They provide these stats in the article: The poll: 45% said it's likely the government will decide when to stop care for the elderly; 50% said it's not likely. The facts: Nothing being debated in Washington would give government such authority. The poll: 55% expect the overhaul will give coverage to illegal immigrants; 34% don't. The facts: The proposals now being negotiated do not provide coverage for illegal immigrants. The poll: 54% said the overhaul will to to a government takeover of health care; 39% disagree. The facts: Obama is not proposing a single-payer system in which the government covers everyone, like in Canada or some European countries.

okie, I've taken the time to post these facts, and I hope you remember them, but I know your memory lacks consistency and logic. But try.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Also, these are the same people who are rating Obama in the polls; mostly misinformed American citizens.

There's no cure for stupid.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@FreeDuck,
Another one who knows 00.00 about finance and economics..... Free Duck, there's such a thing as overhead cost (the subject of the previous post, and of the linked article), then there's operating cost, then there's initial investment.

If that's clear, do you want to learn more, or are 3 cost categories all you can learn in one day?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:05 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Another one who knows 00.00 about finance and economics..... Free Duck, there's such a thing as overhead cost (the subject of the previous post, and of the linked article), then there's operating cost, then there's initial investment.

If that's clear, do you want to learn more, or are 3 cost categories all you can learn in one day?

You are likely correct, re: the difference in cost categories; but, you could probably transmit all that info just as easily... without being such a prick. My guess is that FD could teach you as much about being nice to people, as you feel you have to offer on any other subject.

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:08 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It's tiresome to see posters who know precisely nothing about the subject attempt to express opinions without at least looking up some explanation of the terms. That much is obvious even to you.