IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

maporsche

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:42 pm
So it looks like the Dems in the Senate might back down on the public option, but still keep the legislation saying that insurance companies cannot deny people with existing condiitons or charge them prohibitive premiums.

Interesting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:00 pm
@maporsche,
From my readings on the health plan, it looks like the blue democrats aren't going to let this pass congress in the way it's written now. Some reports say it's 70 to 80% in the bag, but the last 30 to 20% can kill any bill.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Republican Congressman Eric Cantor is now on tv telling lies about the Obama health plan. He's saying the Obama plan will enforce a government plan on everybody. He's not listening to what the health plan is all about, and all he is doing is what all conservatives to; fear-mongering.

Obama has said over and over that those with private plans can keep their plans if they so wish.

Cantor's fear-mongering message is the only one conservatives hear and believe. What they don't ever say is that more Americans are losing their health plans because of the increasing cost, job loss, and people's inability to keep up with their co-pays. Many private plans have many restrictions that do not cover major medical issues. Why aren't they telling us about the 47 million without insurance and those who do have insurance have inadequate insurance? What are they afraid of?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Congressman Cantor also said he's talked to many small business owners who claim they will resort to the government plan and their employees will lose their choice.

Baloney! Most small businesses can't afford to provide health insurance at the current rates, and many are dropping this benefit. I think I read some place that over 80% of small businesses do no provide health insurance.

So, what is the point the Congressman Cantor was trying to prove? All I see is lies and fear-mongering.

Here's a WSJ article that is probably closer to the truth:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124329442612051953.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So it looks like the Dems in the Senate might back down on the public option, but still keep the legislation saying that insurance companies cannot deny people with existing condiitons or charge them prohibitive premiums.

Interesting.

Nah, they will pass a bill with the public option in it. Just b/c Conrad and Baucus are trying to please their health industry donor overlords, won't stop it from happening in the end.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Amazing isn't it? Many conservatives still believe Obama was not born in the US even though his Hawaii birth certificate and a newspaper article announcing his birth have been shown.

How do you get through to these "people?"
maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How is that related to Cyclops response to my post?

I'm not a conservative, nor do I have a problem with Obama's birth certificate.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:27 pm
@maporsche,
My response was misdirected, but it's my normal response to the conservatives who continue to use fear-mongering rather than facts and evidence to prove their points. Ignore it since it doesn't apply to you.
Advocate

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 04:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is a large lunatic fringe in the Republican Party. You also have Lou Dobbs.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is all very silly since he would be a citizen anyway by virtue of his mother being a citizen.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 04:59 pm
@Advocate,
Not according to some conservatives who do not understand US laws on citizenship.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
I gather from our news that a tax is being proposed by the loose canons on "cosmetic" surgery to help pay for the reforms being trailed. It was referred to as a tax on women. I'm against that. Women are taxing enough as it is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:21 pm
Here's where we stand on the health plan (From Reuters):
Quote:
Senate may drop public healthcare option
By Donna Smith and John Whitesides Donna Smith And John Whitesides 42 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) " Lawmakers on both sides of the U.S. Capitol struggled to reach a healthcare deal on Tuesday, with Senate Democrats near agreement with three Republicans on a plan that would not include a government-run insurance option backed by President Barack Obama.

After lengthy closed-door meetings, however, Democrats in the House of Representatives said it was unlikely they would vote on a healthcare overhaul before heading home for their August recess at the end of the week.

House Democratic Leader Steny Hoyer said there would not be a vote on Friday but there was still a "pretty slim" chance lawmakers could be held for a vote on Saturday. "We're trying not to foreclose our options," he told reporters.

Obama has pushed for a measure that will rein in healthcare costs, improve care and cover most of the 46 million uninsured Americans, making it his top legislative priority.

Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee said they were close to success in bipartisan negotiations with three panel Republicans -- even if the full group does not take up the bill before the break starts on August 7.

"Whether we get through markup or not I can't tell you today. But I am confident we'll have a concept we'll agree on," Senator John Kerry, a Democratic member of the panel, told reporters.

NON-PROFITS AND TAXES

The Senate Finance negotiations have zeroed in on a plan that would use non-profit cooperatives to compete with private insurers to drive down costs, members say, not the public plan favored by Obama and many Democrats.

The panel also is likely to back a tax on high-cost insurance policies to try to raise revenue and keep costs down.

The White House said it would wait until it sees the bill to comment on the cooperative approach, which is certain to disappoint some Democrats even if it wins over the three Republicans involved in the negotiations.

"I have done a lot of reading on the history of co-ops and it is not a nice history," Senator John Rockefeller told reporters after a closed-door meeting of Democrats.

Democratic Senator Kent Conrad said the approach would use non-profit associations at a state, regional and national level and could attract some 12 million people.

He said the U.S. government could provide about $6 billion in start-up money to help healthcare cooperatives meet reserve requirements. Any co-op would need about 25,000 members to be financially viable and about 500,000 members to negotiate competitive rates with providers, he said.

Shares of U.S. health insurers rose broadly on Tuesday on hopes a health reform bill would not include a government-run option, which has drawn strong opposition from insurers who fear it would destroy the private marketplace.

The S&P Managed Health Care index of large U.S. health insurers closed 6.5 percent higher.

Aetna rose 12.6 percent, Coventry was up 12.7 percent and Cigna was 7.7 percent higher, all on the New York Stock Exchange. Centene rose 7.9 percent.

NO BLUE DOG DEAL

Obama's drive for a broad overhaul of the healthcare industry has been stalled in the Senate and House of Representatives, both controlled by his fellow Democrats. It has been hit by a deluge of criticism over the cost, scope and funding of the more than $1 trillion measure.

Republicans in both chambers have slammed the plans as an expensive first step to a government takeover of healthcare. No Republican has come out in favor of any of the plans so far, although the three Senate Republicans have worked with Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus to find agreement.

An August deadline to approve initial versions of the bill is dead in the Senate and on life support in the House, where conservative Democrats known as "Blue Dogs" have held up a vote in the Energy and Commerce Committee over cost concerns.

Members of the group met with Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Energy Committee Chairman Henry Waxman and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel for several hours on Tuesday afternoon and reconvened on Tuesday night.

Representative Mike Ross, a leader of the group, said there were still 12 issues of disagreement. "It might be impossible to come to a resolution on some of them," he told reporters.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:33 pm
Part of the discussion I heard today was that some of the cost of Obama's health plan is people will live longer and collect more from Social Security as a result.

So, should we outlaw all health insurance so we can balance the budget?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:49 pm
@parados,
That's the conservative way; they're full of compassion, and they'll save money.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 07:49 am
@parados,
Quote:
Part of the discussion I heard today was that some of the cost of Obama's health plan is people will live longer and collect more from Social Security as a result.

Surely they weren't serious?

Meanwhile:

Key Republican says on "edge" of healthcare deal

Not sure what that means, "on edge." But at least it looks like there are some republicans willing to work towards health care reform.

Quote:
Obama, who has put considerable political capital on the line in the healthcare debate, travels to North Carolina and Virginia on Wednesday where he will hold campaign-style events aimed at telling Americans why insurance reform means more security and stability for them and their families.

The White House said Obama would outline eight specific consumer protections he thinks are needed. They include: no discrimination for preexisting conditions, only reasonable out-of-pocket expenses, no dropping of coverage for serious illness, no gender discrimination, no annual or lifetime caps and extended coverage for young adults.

Seems good to me, but I think there is no way to pay for any of it without raising taxes somewhere, but I don't see how people expect to get something for nothing and it beats some other things we spend money on and in the end will probably be better for the economy--can't be too much worse than it was under Bush and their conservative spending.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 10:20 am
@revel,
revel, What the republicans are now pushing is the idea that seniors will be interviewed to see how they want to die under the Obama health plan.

The Rachel Maddow show yesterday covered not only citizens and tv/radio personalities, but republicans in congress who's pushing this ridiculous rant.

They are taking fear-mongering to a new level.

Here's one article on this subject: http://blearc.newsvine.com/_news/2009/07/28/3082383-republicans-trying-to-scare-seniors-with-page-425-can-the-gop-not-lie?threadId=637068
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 10:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
July 15, 2009
GOP Congressman worried gov't would let seniors die to save health costs
@ 3:41 pm by Michael O'Brien

The Obama administration's plan to reform healthcare may result in the government deciding to let seniors die in order to bring down healthcare costs.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), the top House Republican on the Joint Economic Committee, said that Americans' fears about government influence on end-of-life treatment could be realized if the Democratically-crafted healthcare bill becomes law.

"I think in the end, their hope is that they cut out those end of life costs within the system," Brady said in an interview with a conservative news podcast.

"Are they going to say, 'Okay, you know, keeping you alive an extra four years just costs too much money'?" Brady worried. "If you have chronic diseases, a combination of them, will they decide that cost-benefit analysis is very low, so you don't qualify for that new medicine, or that new life-saving treatment."

Republicans have worried about government influence over healthcare if a reform proposal including a public (or "government-run") option becomes law. Brady was expressing concern over whether end-of-life care would be rationed under a new system.

"These are the fears that most Americans have about government running their healthcare, and right now, it looks like this plan very much sees those fears realized," Brady added.

They are misrepresenting what the health plan really says. Their fear-mongering attempts to scare seniors to vote against their own well being. There is no such proposal in the health plan to ration health care for seniors.
0 Replies

Yankee

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 10:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, has anyone explain why it is necessary for the Govt to intrude in my life as to WHY the GOVT deems it necessary to have a health care professional interview me about my planning?

If I already have a plan, will it meet the Govts requirements?

If I do not and I want to die intestate, what business is it of the Govts?

http://docs.house.gov/edlabor/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

No wonder people are concerned.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 10:51 am
@Yankee,
Yankee, You're misinterpreting the health plan like most conservatives. HINT: The scare tactics being used by the republicans is not in the plan.