Diary of a graveyard.

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:03 am
It's Hebrew. I'll transliterate (convert the writing to English characters) as best as I can. It's tough without vowels. Line by line:

Quote:
Fayan
Anishim hashuvim devim bashanim minarolim yhanomim
Yisroel Manuel bar Natan viFessar bat Aaron t'yiromeh
na'at
v'yelod Yitzkak bar Natan viFessar bat Surah Teshon Terayam
Haneztvah

Translated as well as I can figure it out
Quote:
Fayan probably the family last name
Men(?) hashuvim devim bashanim minarolim yhanomim
Israel Emmanuel son of Nathan and Fessar (Faye?), daughter of Aaron t'yiromeh
na'at
And son Isaac son of Nathan and Fessar, daughter Sarah Teshon Terayam
Haneztvah

shewolfnm wrote:
I dont know what this language is, but the writting, I think is very beautiful.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4235/dsc0985et1.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
WOW!

So it seems that it is just the familys note of who he is? Son of , married to, who is thedaughter of.. etc?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:10 am
I think so. The first line is a bunch of male plural words but it's a language where inanimate objects have gender (e. g. I recall pictures are female, helfino why) so that doesn't necessarily refer specifically to men. But bar is son of and bat is daughter of. Yitzkak is Isaac, that kinda thing I can dope out. The vi prefix means and.

I am, erm, bat Beresh viSurah, daughter of B___ and S___.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:32 am
With this one, I have a story.

Some of it will stem from my religious beliefs, and for that I do apologize as I am not trying to make this post about me in that way. I will do my best to limit that aspect, but if I slip.. well.. just smack me on the hand. Smile

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7826/14lu3.jpg

This headstone is that of a 5 month old little girl.
There is a stone next to it , laying on the ground of an older man. I would assume a family member possibly her father.
I did not know that the tree stump that you see in the picture was actually over HER grave and not his.
When viewed straight on, it appears to be 'shared'

Also, considering , at the time that I only saw the back before my find, I never took the time to read the front. But saw the mans headstone.... thought it was so... and went home.

The tree was chopped down because it was posing a safety hazard.

I saw it the day after it happened and walked over to look at the stump.
Sticking out from the stump was the offending item.

A simple sea shell that appeared to be petrified.

I love stones. If you are ever in my home you will find everything from the pinky sized crystal to the 10lb amethyst geode.
So this thing just flipped my little lid.

The roots of the tree had grown inside of it so I took the time to separate them and carefully knock out all of the dirt.

Excited with my find I took it home that day and kept it in my hand. I was essentially hoping to 'learn ' something from it.

That very next day, things started falling off my counters with no reason.
An entire dinner plate hit the floor.
My lights were going out.
My tv didn't work
MY toilet flushed.
My daughter started talking to someone
I was having the worst dreams I have had in a long time. They were keeping me up at night and making me uncomfortable during the day time.
My house felt occupied

I smudged. Twice. And that helped for a while but by evening, it felt occupied again.
My skin would quickly get hot or cold on more then one occasion.

I went to photograph the shell only to find that my brand new camera didn't work.
I resorted to the manual and saw quickly that all of my personal settings had been changed to default as if it were just pulled out of the box.

It wasn't until after 3 days of this that I finally put two and two together and decided I should take the shell back where it belonged.

On my way back to the graveyard, my car radio didn't work, and I learned later that day that a piece of my brake system had stopped working. No i don't think it was BECAUSE of anything as my car is at 50,000 miles. But.. none the less. . it was strange.

I hiked across the yard and to the stump. I got on my knees and using my hand.. dug a hole along the side of the stump so that the stone would be deep enough , it would not just pop up again.
Filled in the hole.. and left

Now, this is my favorite spot to sit.
It is comfortable, quiet and I feel really safe in that one spot.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think that shell belonged to me.

not only that.. but it wasn't until AFTER this happened that I realized, when people do what I did, that is exactly how the yard deteriorate.
People don't think they are stealing anything.. they think they have found something that belongs to only them and noone else.
Lesson learned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:46 am
re headstones with Hebrew: our Jewish citizens used both language, German and Hebrew, in one language on the front, in the other on the back. (There didn't seem to be a rule which one was where, though.)

(I've some examples on my thread.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:49 am
Truly fascinating, shewolf.

(glad you put the shell back)

Any word on repairing the headstone the numskulls drove over the other day?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:51 am
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8077/mvc022suu8.jpg

the offending item
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:56 am
squinney wrote:
Truly fascinating, shewolf.

(glad you put the shell back)

Any word on repairing the headstone the numskulls drove over the other day?

Not until I see him on Monday at which time I will also be submitting several disks of my pictures. Smile

I do know that as of last night, the headstone is NOT repaired
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 08:06 am
That would be copyrighted copies of your photo's on a disk, correct?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:53 am
shewolfnm wrote:
the offending item

Very interesting series of events -- apparently you made your peace. Bringing home rocks & stones is a natural method to stay grounded, I think.

Cataloging gravestones may offer something more than an historical perspective. Maybe you're being called to do this?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
After hanging around there 2 years, digging up and replacing headstones on my own, I think I have been doing what needed to be done for a while.

Noone noticed though.. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
squinney wrote:
That would be copyrighted copies of your photo's on a disk, correct?

Im still not sure what to do about that.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 04:13 pm
SheWolf... One fairly easy way to copyright your stuff, far as I know, would be to join Gather.com and publish them there. Both Jjorge & I are members. (I hardly ever go there.) Here's the website and this is the information on that from their FAQ's:

http://www.gather.com/faqs.jsp?cat=publishing#Q2

Quote:

Do I still own the rights to the content I publish?
Yes. You own and are responsible for all of your original content on Gather. Anything you create on Gather is copyrighted by you as soon as you publish it, as long as the content is legally yours.

For more information on copyright law, please see the United States Copyright Office's circular.

US Copyright Office Info
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
Wow. This thread is absolutely absorbing, Shewolf.

There is something so beautiful about what you are doing. Not just with the gravestones, but for the people that lived.

I don't know how this started for you but I'm glad you followed whatever voice led you to it.

You are a Witness and a Voice. Seriously, it makes me a bit weepy. A testament to what it is to be a human being who is alive. I HAVE LIVED. I AM.

Looking forward to more of your work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:50 pm
Shewolf kicked my butt into going back to Mt Auburn Cememtery with my camera again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
littlek wrote:
Shewolf kicked my butt into going back to Mt Auburn Cememtery with my camera again.

Can we get a photo of that, please? The butt kicking, I mean. Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:20 pm
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8433/cemetery67qw8.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:21 pm
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1026/cemetery46cv8.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:22 pm