A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:25 am
@ehBeth,
Did it get on the wrong bus?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 04:39 am

1/2" at the bottom of the porch steps this mornin'.
and so goes the great blizzard of 2012...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:07 pm
We got a surprise 4" of snow this morning between 7 am and noon. The morning commute was (d)icey. But now it is about 42 and the sun is shining brightly. I am hoping my snowplow guy won't bother to come by scrape my couple of driveway/parking lot areas.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:34 am
Quote:
NOAA: Fourth Warmest Winter on Record

We've been remarking over and over about how mild and snowless this winter has been. Now we have the official word
on just where the winter of 2011-2012 will rank in history. The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
has announced that this was fourth warmest meteorological winter on record across the contiguous United States and
the warmest since 1999-2000. (Note: The meteorological winter is December, January and February combined)

Only the winters of 1991-1992, 1998-1999, 1999-2000 were warmer. All of this is based on records dating back to 1890s.

Where did your state rank this winter?

The map below shows where this winter ranked in history for each state. A number of 117 indicates the winter was the
warmest on record. Conversely, a number 1 would signify the coolest winter on record.

As you can see, there are many states that recorded a top 10 (27 total) and a top 5 warmest winter (18 total).

States with a top 5 warmest winter: CT, DE, IL, IN, MA, ME, MO, MI, MN, ND, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, WI, VT, VA

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2012/march/winter-rankings-noaa.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/noaa-2012.jpg
(weather.com)
Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
@Region Philbis,
Not to worry, it is 63 degrees here right now and some bozo is sending the heat up.
The weeping willow tree outside has few early buds on it...this is not going to be good if a big freeze comes in.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:47 am
@Sturgis,
Yes, that's my worry too. Everything is starting to look very springy, but there will probably be a few more big freezes yet.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:49 am
@Sturgis,

currently 65°F @ logan.

bahstin record high for this date = 67°F.
i think she's a gonna fall...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:02 am

and...

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/noaa-snow12.jpg
(weather.com)

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:04 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
currently 65°F @ logan.

bahstin record high for this date = 67°F.
i think she's a gonna fall...
As I say to my friend in the north when the temps. are higher there, 'Well, Gar, this is global warming. Have you noticed that ice-mountain is getting closer?'

I am wondering how all this will translate towards the summer months, whether we'll have a scorcher or a moderate or cooler than usual. After last years record rain, things have fairly much dried out, and we're now getting less than the average precipitation. (now watch it rain for the next 3 weeks)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Yes, that's my worry too. Everything is starting to look very springy, but there will probably be a few more big freezes yet.

It always saddens me when the early bloomers get destroyed. Happens regularly enough, I just never am ready for it.

A few days ago, a friend was talking about starting up his annual window box assortment. He needed to be reminded of the temperature dips at night, many of which can still go to the frozen zone, and far less protection in a window box.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:56 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
It always saddens me when the early bloomers get destroyed. Happens regularly enough, I just never am ready for it.

Exactly. Me too.

A few years ago it was really bad, leaves were out on almost all of the trees, daffodils and tulips were out, spring was in full swing but it was too early. Then we had a hard freeze and all of a sudden it looked like fall, in March or April or whenever it was. All of these dead, brown little leaves falling everywhere. So depressing.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@sozobe,

nah ha!

depressing is hitting the spring equinox and being stuck with a huge, dirty pile
of leftover perma-frost that won't melt any time soon.

i'll take the early bloomer false start every time...
sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:19 am
@Region Philbis,
I know what you're saying. I love the sun, it's out today.

But it's not just the dead brown leaves everywhere in April that gets me depressed -- it's also the implications for agriculture, animals, and the environment in general when we have this weird weather.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:28 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
it's also the implications for agriculture, animals, and the environment in general when we have this weird weather.

definitely worrying on the agriculture and food cost side of this - the bad bugs didn't all die off as the winter wasn't harsh enough
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 05:15 am

(good globe article this morning -- unfortunately you have to give them 99¢, or be a subcriber to view the whole thing...)

Quote:
The winter that wasn’t
High highs, high lows inspire a regional identity crisis

It’s official. After weeks of growing evidence - of leaves sprouting in January, of pathetic and muddy snowhills,
of washed out backyard hockey rinks, - the last few days have left us with little doubt: This will go down as the
year we had no winter. It’s a meteorological phenomenon for sure, but also a psychological test for many New
Englanders, who pride themselves on surviving the bitter onslaught that is our calling card, our birthright.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 06:33 am
@Region Philbis,
From that article -

http://c.o0bg.com/rf/pdf_371w/Boston/2011-2020/2012/03/23/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Graphics/23warmest_web1B.jpg
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:25 am
@jespah,
So I moved from the northeast to avoid precisely that sort of typical winter and the whole climate changes? It figures!

Mind you - I'm not complaining as TampaBay/Bradenton/Sarasota/Venice
has/have had the mildest Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-March season in decades. We had 4 or 5 cold nights and only a few nights at or near freezing - no hard-freezes. That is certainly not typical for here either. Global warming is here regardless of the denials of certain doubting-thomases.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 06:52 pm

not even an early-season nor'eastah bringing white shite can wipe the grin off my face today...
margo

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
Laughing Cool
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:47 pm

today's 4" was the most we've had to shovel since feb 2011...
0 Replies