A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 07:24 am
Quote:
The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for most of Eastern Massachusetts beginning at noon today,
when a severe winter storm is expected to begin dumping 15 to 20 inches of snow on the region, likely bringing highway
gridlock, power outages, and coastal flooding in its wake.

National Weather Service meteorologist Alan Dunham said sustained winds of 35 miles per hour are likely to make
visibility so limited that people should stay home if at all possible. The warning applies to all of Massachusetts east
of Worcester, except for Cape Cod.

“It’s going to be heavy snow,’’ said Dunham, stationed at the weather service’s Taunton office. “Sometimes you
refer to this kind of snow as ‘heart attack’ snow,’’ because it is so heavy for people to shovel. He said the storm
may cause power outages and he urged people to keep batteries, portable radios, and other necessities on hand.

He predicted the morning commute tomorrow will be a nightmare.
(globe)
Sglass

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:50 pm
I am not homesick today.

The grass is green, the sun is shinning and Merry and I are going to the beach.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:55 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

I am not homesick today.

The grass is green, the sun is shinning and Merry and I are going to the beach.

That shinny old sun is a trickster.
Sglass

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
You mean there may be a raindrop or two stalking us? Or a snowflake?

Seasons greeting Edgar.
Lambchop

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
I saw this! Eastern Mass is in for a good dumping!

They also got snow yesterday in Atlanta. First time they've had a white Christmas since the 1880s!
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:49 pm
My beaners are by the door.
The shovels are on the porch.
I'm ready to rock.
littlek

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:51 pm
@George,
Here on the Cape I'll be missing most of the snow. But, I'll have to get home at some point!
George

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:53 pm
@littlek,
I'll save ya some.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:56 pm
But it's described as "heavy" snow, George. Not fluffy stuff. Take care.
I think that there is a reason why God invented teenaged boys. Shovel snow. That is pretty much all they are good for.
George

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Teen-age boys?

I'll shovel them into the ground!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:39 pm
@Sglass,

please wish Merry a happy b'day...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:23 am
@Region Philbis,
how are you keedz doing in brrrrrrrmageddon?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:42 am
@ehBeth,

haven't been downstairs yet, but from up here it doesn't look like there's more than 6" on the ground.
lotsa drifting.
temps will drop into the teens tonight, so it behooves us to get to shovelling before the sun goes down.
timing could not have been better for me -- my company has a long-standing tradition of closing between xmas & new year's...
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Feel not so behooved. If it drifts, youll just be shovelling some more. According to the news and the Weather Channel, its Armageddon in New England and everyone is dying of cold and hunger and from lack of personal hygiene. Those not immdeiately being killed are doomed to an extended nuclear winter. You agree with this?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:17 am
@farmerman,
I wonder if this is going to be another winter where they get more snow in D.C. than in Toronto.

I have a buncha friends who moved to D. C. and Virginia to escape Canadian winter. hahahahaha they had to buy big-ass snowblowers last year, while we pretty much swept the snow away
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:27 am
@farmerman,

it's 30°F at the moment, and they claim it's a wet/heavy snow, so that tells me it will not drift much when shovelled.

i understand parts of new jersey are to be pitied, what with 29" on the ground...
Izzie

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:43 am
@Region Philbis,
New Jersey’s acting governor has declared a state of emergency in the wake of the powerful winter storm that roared into the state on Sunday.

State Senate President Steve Sweeney, who is filling in while Gov. Chris Christie and Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno are out of state, issued the order Sunday night.

But a decision on whether state offices would be open Monday has not been made.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/27/state-of-emergency-declared-in-new-jersey/

All nonessential people and their motor vehicles are not to be driving or parked on city streets, said police Lt. Fred Dorner.
http://www.app.com/article/20101226/NEWS/12260364/State-of-emergency-declared-in-NJ

Sweeney has empowered the State Director of Emergency Management to activate any elements of the State Emergency Operations Plan that he deems necessary to safeguard the public.

The State Police will assume total control of the state’s roadways and the State Director of Emergency Management has the power to evacuate any residents who are in areas that present a danger to their well-being.

The order takes place immediately and will remain in effect until a state of emergency no longer exists.

http://www.nj.com/independentpress/index.ssf/2010/12/state_of_emergency_called_thro.html

so.......... what, in the US, does a State of Emergency mean if the state police are now in charge of all the roads?

There's a fair bit of reporting of your snow over in the UK on our news channels.

Y'all keep warm out there ((((RP'Jes, LilK, George, Stormy et al))) ooooooooh... wonder if Kicky got home Shocked
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 09:24 am
@Izzie,

long-range is calling for mid-40's by next weekend, so we should get some decent meltage...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 09:51 am
Nigel surprised me by rising early and getting the driveway shoveled from the
back of my car to the street. He didn't do a bad job, either. I had some coffee
and oatmeal and it was time for the varsity to suit up. I had my new ski pants
on, so not only did I feel mahvelous, I also looked mahvelous. Nigel took a shower
and was off to work. The Widget Factory -- to my amazement -- closed for the day.
I was able to put in another couple of hours of shoveling. It's not as bad as they
said it would be, but I'm handling my disappointment well.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 11:39 am
@George,
I'm learning (by watching cable network news) that all (national/international news) is snow in the northeast is all important. ego-geographical.
0 Replies