The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

barrythemod

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:24 am
Australia beats the world again!
Watching,on Region 4,Spider-Man 3,which comes in a cracking tin case,along with a SM3 mouse mat.Region 2 is out on Oct 15th with Region 1 lagging behind with a release date of Oct 30th.Loved all 3 pics in this franchise.Anybody know if there's gonna be a 4th Question :wink:
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 01:51 am
Dug deep into the DVD shelf and watched a 1967 favorite of mine,Bonnie And Clyde.As we all know,this is no ordinary gangster film.When they start out on their life of crime,they mean no harm and are just looking for adventure.But nothing in film history has prepared us for the cascading violence to follow.
We always know that they're the bad guys but we're always on their side.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 06:27 am
Dirty Pretty Things. It was pretty good. Quiet. Thoughtful. Sad.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:44 am
Running With Scissors.
Does anyone flip out on screen better than Annette Benning? Shocked
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:45 am
The Lives Of Others.

This is a German language film and includes English Sub-titles.
Set in early 1980's East Germany,a dedicated Stasi Secret Police officer,who's job is to listen into ordinary peoples lives via hidden microphones and cameras,discovers a dissident writer.Realising an affinity,he then starts to protect him.

Wow,what a film!
This multi European award winning film was made for around 2 Million dollars,which is nothing compared to the average Hollywood fare we are offered.It stars top-draw German actors who worked for around 20% of their "normal asking price".They all believed this story had to be told.
It stars Ulrich Muhe, (who sadly died in July 2007 of stomach cancer) and was regarded as the German Tom Hanks and Martina Gedeck,akin to Meryl Streep.
This film shows the dispare that dictatorship and the totalitarian state brings with it.

Imagine this scene....
Inside an elevator/lift

A small boy-around 6 years old-carrying a football
Our Stasi anti-hero

Boy "Are you really with the Stasi?"
Man "Do you even know what the Stasi is ?"
Boy"Yes.They're the bad men who put people in prison,say's my Dad"
Man "I see.What's the name of your ......."
Boy "My what?"
Man "Ball! What's the name of your ball?"
Boy "You're funny! Balls don't have names."

Miss this film at your peril Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:54 pm
Sideways.

The Mask of Zorro.

we started watching the original movie version of The Producers but it was too much for one night. We laughed an awful lot for the part we did watch. Better than any possible remake.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:12 pm
The Japanese Story

...Holy Mother of God.... it was the slowest movie ever!!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
A Perfect Stranger-Halle Berry. ending is a shocker

Also, a great one Called Fracture with Anthony Hopkins
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:23 pm
barrythemod wrote:

Put it on top of my Netflix queue.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:07 pm
Yes, "The Lives of Others" is an excellent movie, indeed.
Especially you, dagmar, will enjoy this one....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:34 pm
watched "Deathproof" on the weekend, interesting, a tarantino style over substance film, but well done
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:04 pm
zodiac

double plus good
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:42 am
Hey, I actually watched some episodes of Quantum Leap recently.

First time in months that I turned the TV/DVD on.
0 Replies

edgar111

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:38 am
once upon a time in america
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:43 am
edgar111 wrote:
once upon a time in america

Hi Ed,and welcome to our corner of A2K.
That is a film/movie that I watch at least 3 times a year.An absolute classic Very Happy
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 07:45 am
I saw Gwoemul (The Host, 2006) and Arthur and the Minimoys (2006) this weekend. Both supplied sufficient amusement.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 08:01 am
Last night I watched "Stranger Than Fiction" with Will Ferrell and Maggie G. It was filmed in my home town and I always enjoy that. All I can say about the movie itself was that it was 'interesting'. And it's good to see Will Ferrell play something other than a maniac. (altho' sometimes his maniacs are pretty funny or, as in "Elf", quite charming.)
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:00 am
Today I saw Black Sheep (The violence of the lambs), hilariously gory. Laughing
And Mr Bean on Holiday, which did not live up to its predecessors.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:43 am
"Volver" with Penelope Cruise and directed by Pedro Amodovar. A quirky mix of humor and pathos which has an incredible turn-of-events in the center of the film. It is sub-titled.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 08:03 am
Last night I saw, "Knocked Up". The only reason that I ordered it from Blockbuster, was that it had very good reviews, so I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

I have seldom felt such ambivalence towards a film. There were times that the film was touching, always funny, but often puerile to the point of embarrassment.

Now don't get me wrong. One of my favorite films is "Animal House", and I make no excuses for delighting in that movie. It is also funny, touching, and definitely puerile, but it has a character that is lacking in "Knocked Up".

The protagonist (I can't even recall his name, or who the actor was) is apparently such a zhlub, such an unmotivated loser that I cannot imagine why the girl in the story would even consider becoming involved with him.

The only people who rang true in this film were the sister and brother-in-law, and possibly the father, who offered the little credibility that the movie posessed. The other characters were caricatures, and unattractive ones at that.

It was a fun couple of hours, but with a little rewriting, (and some changes in the cast) probably could have been a much better film.
0 Replies