The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:15 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Watched "Leaving Las Vegas" last night with Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue. It was made in 1995, and won an Academy Award for Mr Cage who plays a drunk, and falls in love with a prostitute. He get fired from his job in Los Angeles, packs up his car and goes to Las Vegas to drink himself until he dies. Quite an engaging story with Cage and Shue doing a fantastic job of acting.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:39 pm
I'm currently watching the miniseries, World Without End, which picks up the story of Queen Isabella (the Sophie Marceau character in Braveheart) after she has defeated her whelp of a husband in battle for control of 1327 England.

Actually, the story focuses on the small snake-bit town of Kingsbridge, which somehow got on her bad side.

Don't watch this miniseries. It make you lose all faith in humanity. Doctors prescribe dung poultices to treat infected wounds, and they accuse herbalists of witchcraft when the latter express their professional disagreement. Monks beat off while sniffing the garments of women they've just put on trial for witchcraft.

Egads...

But I'm going to finish it, because things have got to improve for the young herbalist and her genius architect lover. They can't possibly get worse.

Also, I like to finish books and movies that I start. Four more hours...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:51 pm
@Kolyo,
I'm now watching "JAPAN," (on VHS) narrated by Jane Seymour. What happened back when this PBS documentary was filmed, Japan was on the cusp of becoming an economic giant, but we all know what happened to Japan's economy. But what they accomplished was not bad for an island nation without any raw materials of their own.

Still interesting, because it talks about the Japanese people, their work ethic, lifestyle, religions, and their family connections.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 02:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
While at Target today, I bought "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." It has 39 episodes and 4 feature films on 4 discs. It should keep me occupied for several weeks - if not longer. I'll keep you updated on each episode as I watch it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 05:27 pm
@dlowan,
Just think, the lead never acted before in his life
0 Replies

decy1337

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 11:36 am
Last movie I saw was : Pitch Black . Seen it a million times , keeps being great !
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 08:01 pm
I just watched the entire Bourne trilogy...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 09:27 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm watching Sherlock Holmes.
0 Replies

Antonia80

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:53 pm
Dark Shadow was the last movie I have watched. It's with Johny Depp and it was really good and landing Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 04:19 pm
@Antonia80,
Watched FARGO last night. My wife and I saw this movie when it first came out in 1996, and I remembered some of the scenes of the movie. A good movie based on a true story.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
Started watching "Goldfinger" last night, but started to dose, so I had to stop it and get some zzzz's. The music from that movie is still a good reminder of James Bond and Sean Connery.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Watched FARGO last night. My wife and I saw this movie when it first came out in 1996, and I remembered some of the scenes of the movie. A good movie based on a true story.

Actually the Coen Brothers admitted that the "true story" disclaimer is an out and out lie. The whole story is a complete work of fiction.

Still a fascinating movie no less.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Found this on Wiki.
Quote:
Fact vs. fiction
Fargo opens with the following text:
THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.
Although the film itself is completely fictional, the Coen brothers claim that many of the events that take place in the movie were actually based on true events from other cases that they threw together to make one story. Joel Coen noted:
"We weren't interested in that kind of fidelity. The basic events are the same as in the real case, but the characterizations are fully imagined...If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept."[3]
The Coens claim the actual murders took place, but not in Minnesota.[4] The main reason for the film's setting is the fact that the Coens were born and raised in St. Louis Park, a suburb of Minneapolis.[5]
On the special edition DVD's trivia track for Fargo, it is revealed that the main case for the movie's inspiration was based on the infamous 1986 murder of Helle Crafts from Connecticut at the hands of her husband, Richard, who killed her and disposed of her body through a wood chipper.[6]
The end credits bear the standard "all persons fictitious" disclaimer for a work of fiction.[7]

Yup, it's based on fiction even though parts are from "true events," but from other cases.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 10:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
I finished watching "Goldfinger" last night, then followed it with "Go For Broke" about the Japanese-American, 442nd Battalion, who fought in Italy and France during WWII, and was the most decorated of any battalion in US history - winning seven Presidential citations. It starred Van Johnson. I took my wife to see "Bye Bye Birdie" with Van Johnson at the Sheraton Palace hotel in San Francisco when I was courting her. Mr. Green
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Started watching Amadeus last night, but started dozing, so I turned it off and hit the zzz's. Slept till almost 9AM today; something that happens infrequently. Will finish the movie tonight.

When I visited Salzburg a few years ago while on a Christmas Market cruise, and was able visited the Mozart museum.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Watched "Last of the Mohicans" last night with Daniel Day Lewis - the Oscar winner for "Lincoln." They filmed this movie at Chimney Rock Park in North Carolina, and my brother took me there to visit while visiting to attend his son's upcoming wedding. Purchased the VCR after our return, and watched it back in 1993 - that was 20 years ago. Chimney Rock Park is a beautiful place where all Americans should visit at least once - like our other national parks.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 04:48 pm
I watched Species Friday night, streaming on Netflix.

It's a terrible movie to show in Biology if you're trying to teach kids about conservation of mass. They show an alien life-form in a lab and over the course of five minutes, without eating much of anything it, it expands from one cell to a 50-kg pulsating mold that fills the room and threatens to devour the two scientists observing it.

If you feel you absolutely must watch this film, I recommend renting it on DVD and watching it at 1.4 times the normal speed if your software allows that. You won't miss much, and you won't have wasted an entire two hours on it.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 05:20 pm
@Kolyo,
I dunno, Kolyo. That darn mold seems to grow in the most unlikely places in regards to food supply.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 11:16 am
@roger,
Watched "Brian's Song" last night. After watching it a few times, it doesn't have the impact it did when I first saw it. The scene in the restaurant was a drag that I fast forwarded.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:31 pm
Watched No Country for Old Men last night. Universal ran it twice so I watched it twice. Heck of a movie but...disturbing