The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 04:54 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Watched "Death on the Nile" last night with Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury, David Niven, Maggie Smith, and Jack Warden. Since I've been to the Old Catarac Hotel in Aswan (2x's), the enjoyment of watching this movie was excellent! Even visited Agatha Christi's house in Stratford-Upon-Avon when we visited Shakespear's home.

It's interesting how so many of one's life experience usually connects in so many ways.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
My late wife was in that film. You can see her walking away from the camera dressed as an archeologist in one scene. We had to pause it a couple of times to make sure it was her.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:26 am
@izzythepush,
Wow! In my travels, I have seen so many incidences of "six degrees of separation," that I'm not too surprised at the connections people have who seem to be complete strangers.

On one of our visits to Cuba last year at the Partagas cigar factory's bar-smoking room, my roommate and I struck up a conversation with a Chinese gentleman who was from Vancouver. It turned out that my roommate and that Chinese guy went to the same schools in Vancouver.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know, the first person I spoke to when I went on holiday to Mexico was from Portsmouth.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 04:28 pm
We just watched Beasts of the Southern Wild (me for the second time)
Quvenzhané Wallis will win the Oscar for Best Actress.

Joe(she was six years old when the film was made)Nation
mae028

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:42 am
The notebook is the last i seen in DVD
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:03 am
@mae028,
House of Cards, the new Streaming movie from Netflix. Its great.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:22 pm
I watched a pretty good miniseries last week on Netflix, Mildred Pierce. Lots of really interesting people in it, and I felt like I was back there with them in the 1930s. If you wish you could travel through time to different eras as well as to different countries, this is solid escapism.

It's the story of a regular gal who works her way from a Depression Era job as a diner waitress into a small fortune.

(And there coulda been MILLIONS of success stories like hers if Roosevelt and his stinkin commie Democrats hadna shoved relief down people's throats and made em all lazy!!! Mad )

EDIT -- This was the recent Kate Winslet version, not the old one.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Quvenzhané Wallis will win the Oscar for Best Actress.

I don't think she'll win. This is most definitely not a Hollywood movie, and I don't think the main Oscar categories, e.g. Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, have ever gone to a non-Hollywood/art film.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
Watched "400 Blows" last night; about some kids in Paris who gets into trouble, and goes to "gaol." With both parents working, it provides the environment in which any child (generally speaking) left to their own devices will eventually get into trouble.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 10:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
Great movie. I followed that series up to the last film where the protagonist, Antoine Doinel, is already a middle aged man.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 11:43 am
@InfraBlue,
Watched "Vanilla Sky" last night with Tom Cruise. Strange plot, but it keeps you egaged in the story about this young kid who runs a publishing company in NYC. We find him running in Time's Square all alone without any traffic or people. Must've been quite a feat just to empty out the streets to film this sequence. Lot's of symbolisms and psycho stuff that isn't completely explained.

0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
Watched Beasts Of The Southern Wild on Tuesday (just released on DVD over here) and I've also gotta see it for a second time but with the sub titles switched on because I couldn't understand half of what was being said.
I also think that it's too much of an "art" film for Ms Wallis to get the Oscar but she and Dwight Henry do a mighty fine job.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:40 pm
@dlowan,
I loved District Nine.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know her brother who is 20 years younger than she is. You can see the resemblance when you are face to face with him.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:42 pm
@plainoldme,
After seeing Cloud Atlas, I had to read the book. Excellent. Clarifies the movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Watched Verticle Limit last night. Climbing verticles and ice packs has never held any attraction for me, but the movie was a thriller. It was cold last night, but my palms were sweating from all the tension from their dropping from a helicopter, climbs/falling/and rescues - and voluntary death. Not for sissies or those with weak hearts. A thriller that gets your heart racing at 100 mph - but probably much faster.
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:53 pm
Mr Postman knocked today with a couple of parcels.
The first one was a small budget Brit hit-man story Kill List....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1788391/?ref_=sr_1
NOT for the feint harted!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the day was spent watching,over and over again,Skyfall....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074638/?ref_=sr_1
On Hi Def Blu-ray.Was just as good as I saw it at my local cinema.This Bond suits this generation as does the new Q.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:12 pm
@Barry The Mod,
The movies I watched the past two nights were 1) Traffic with Michael Douglas who is appointed a the Drug Czar - all while his own teenage daughter does drugs with her high school friends; and 2) (VCR) 1000 Pieces of Gold, a true story about a Mongal woman who is sold to become a prostitute in Oregon, but manages to stay a "free" woman, and ends up with a businessman/gambler. It was produced by PBS, and taped several decades ago.

0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:13 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Spent an evening in an Israelie tank in Lebanon,with folks that wanted to be there and others that didn't....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

In real life,I wonder what I'd do in the same situation ?