The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 03:50 pm
@panzade,
Watched "Out of Africa" last night with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. It was filmed in 1985, and won 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture. It was long at 2hrs and 45mins, but worth it! I was at Karen Blixen's coffee plantation in Kenya in 2001, and this is my picture of her coffee plantation house. While at her plantation house-museum, I bought her book "Out of Africa" and read it when I returned home. Great movie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/img671copy.jpg
Eva

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 05:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That was a great film, c.i. I've watched it several times.

I saw "Oz the Great and Powerful" yesterday. It was not great and not powerful. Clearly, it was only meant to be a set-up for Disney rides and merchandising. This movie had no heart, no brains, and no courage. How disappointing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 07:56 pm
Watched Beasts of the Southern Wild which was somewhere between magical realism and Southern Gothic; GreyGardens which was disturbing, and am in the middle of The Tudors.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 03:13 pm
@plainoldme,
I watched Glory last night with Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Matthew Broderick. The story is based on letters of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw who commanded the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, the first unit made up entirely of African American men except for the officers. It was released in 1989.

Well done movie, and I was very impressed with Denzel's acting.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi, CI, for many people, myself included, that movie was our intro to Denzel. Denzel went on . . . some program, possibly The Tonight Show . . . to promote the movie. Here was this smart, hip, thoroughly modern and articulate man playing someone who was almost mute and very much a 19th C man. The contrast between Denzel the man and his performance clued me in to see the movie.
firefly

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:18 am
@plainoldme,
I first saw Denzel on the TV series, St. Elsewhere, where he played a young doctor.

I watched War Horse the other night. A somewhat old-fashioned, sentimental, animal lovers movie. Based on the reviews and success of the stage version, I think I expected more from the movie, about which I had read next to nothing. Until it was over, I didn't even realize it was a Spielberg film. It's not bad for what it is--a love story of a boy and his horse, against the backdrop of World War I, based on a novel written for young adults--and it's enjoyable and visually lush and satisfying on its own terms. I only wish Emily Watson had been given more to do in this one, she's such a fine actress.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:38 am
I just saw "Damages", with Glen Close.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914387/?ref_=sr_1

I recently bought a Roku, and I am streaming all over the place. I had never heard of this series before, and it is a winner. To tell the truth, we watched it every night over a period of a number of days, and could not wait to get back to the story.

Glen Close is magnificent in the part of a high powered attorney.
mismi

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:45 am
I saw Jack the Giant Killer with the boys last week. I thought it was great big fun! So did the kids. It was a great Spring Break movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 09:18 am
@mismi,
I watched Challenger last night, the ill fated space flight. It tells about the astronauts and their families before the flight, and the problem with the "O" ring. The movie ends when they take off. Well done.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I watched the tv show of Phantom of the Opera with Burt Lancaster last night. It's a wonder the VCR was still in reviewable condition after all these years.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 01:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I just saw "Damages", with Glen Close.

I liked the first season of that show, but by the second season when I could see every bone in Rose Byrne's frame that her clothing didn't cover I lost interest.

I'm currently watching Honey West.

Damn -- They don't make action heroes like that anymore. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 02:25 pm
Streamed "Zero Dark Thirty". Was NOT, repeat, NOT impressed at all and I do not know of what movie the shouting was about.

It was dark and muddy. The sound sucked, The acting , save one character, was phoned in.
IMHO.
The critics were stepping over each other with this one and Im not sure I saw the saem movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
Saw "Bugsy" with Warren Beatty last night; good movie of how he started Las Vegas, and it also shows where the Mafia had meetings at the Nacional Hotel in Havana - where I have stayed once, and visited many times (every time we go to Cuba). The Nacional had a Mafia office on the second floor, and Frank Sinatra's bedroom is located next door to it. They offer tours there where many Hollywood notables and other VIP's stayed during its hayday before the revolution.

0 Replies

zengatv

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:54 am
@barrythemod,
Wrong turn. and i love this movie.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 09:41 am
@zengatv,
Finally finished watching "The Best Years Of Our Lives" last night. Happy ending for all!
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 11:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
Watched Spielberg's "Lincoln" a few times this week. Excellent flick and and although it only takes a small segment out of Goodwyn's book, it does it more than justice for the complex interplay among several key players(not the least of which was the old player , Thaddeus Stevens of Lancaster Pa.

Goodwyns book, because it is a historical account, must make sure that the"Titanic sinks at the end". Spielbergs script writer made it more interesting a movie than mere history provided.

Was Stevens layed accurately?.Well, he was played interestingly. Im not sure history remembers him as the glib trap setting old coot that we saw in the movie.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
I enjoyed the Steven's character as played in the movie - anywhos.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:59 pm
@farmerman,
SAW DJANGO, wasnt really impressed. I Liked Inglorious Basterds more. The Nazi SS Colonel shows up in Django and he is, very good.
panzade

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
He was even better in Django, I agree
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:21 pm
Saw 2 movies directed by Ben Affleck. The Town and Gone Baby Gone. They were both based in Boston, both very good. Ben's brother Casey did a great job in Gone Baby Gone.

Both movies had superb supporting actors.