The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

jcboy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 05:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We’re home and settled in for the evening, going to watch Hugo on PPV. Review to follow Cool
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 06:11 pm
@jcboy,
Let us know what you think about the movie. Smile
jcboy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 06:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Will do, have to get the little one on the tub then going to put the movie on.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
We both liked Hugo, a great film, I believe it won five academy awards. 30 seconds to Mars! Two thumbs up. Cool
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:19 am
@cyphercat,
I always thought that the original Wicker Man was the scariest movie that I have ever seen.

Anyhow, last night, we were going through our old self self copied VHS tapes, and we have a LOT of them. We watched "The Big Clock", a 1948 flick. It stars Ray Milland and Charles Laughton.

It had been shown on AMC (BEFORE they had commercials). The guy who introduced the movie mentioned that the film had a number of interesting things. Elsa Lanchester, who is in the movie, was married to Charles Laughton.
Maureen O'Sullivan, who has a part in the film, was married to John Farrow, the director. John Farrow was the father of Mia Farrow, the woman who had been living, and raising children, with Woody Allen, until he ran off and married one of the kids.

Anyhow, besides all this gossipy stuff, it was an excellent mystery, with Laughton as his nastiest best.
Letty

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I agree about the original Wicker Man.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/synopsis

TCM's are usually really good. I watched The Hasty Heart as well, but last evening it was Boy on a Dolphin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:59 pm
I watched The Road to Perdition today. Tom Hanks and Paul Newman were perfect together. These type stories are somewhat predictable, but I enjoyed it very much.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:32 pm
@jcboy,
Will have to put Hugo on my list of movies to watch. Thx for the feedback.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 12:36 pm
The Man Who Would Be King starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer in a grand adventure. My son remarked that Caine sounded young. I said look at him, this movie was made half his life ago.

Highly recommended. If you liked MASH and Monte Python and Stephen Speilberg's adventure movies, you will like this.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hugo is terrific
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
@plainoldme,
We're watching Avatar for probably the 100th time Razz
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 01:06 pm
@jcboy,
I watched Taxi Driver with my daughter the other day. She hadn't seen it before, but was under the impression it was a RomCom. She won't tell me at what point she realised it wasn't.
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
I haven't seen that movie in ages, might have to look that one up again.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@jcboy,
You talking to me?
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Yep, the move Taxi Driver was a good film Razz
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:11 pm
@jcboy,
So titantic 3D is out now. Maybe they'll see the damn iceberg this time.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:24 pm
@jcboy,
Not seen the film, but as a Southampton resident I have been given a free ticket to go to the Titanic museum when it opens. No, not the good one that's been on the news, that's in Belfast.
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
When I was in CA I saw a titanic exhibit on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, it was interesting.
firefly

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 03:50 pm
I watched the movie Skin (2008) yesterday--a fictionalized account of the life of Sandra Laing, a black girl who was born to two white Afrikaner parents in South Africa during the apartheid era.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0964586/
I was not familiar with Laing's story before seeing this film. It's a fascinating account of someone who became an outsider, even to her family, because her skin color determined every aspect of her life in South Africa.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:38 am
@jcboy,
It's amazing how one disaster stands out over all the rest. There's a tussle beween us and Belfast over the Titanic. She was built in Belfast, but registered and sailed from Southampton. We already have a memorial similar to the Cenotaph, as a lot of the crew came from Southampton.