The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:05 pm
@jcboy,
Been watching a bunch of DVD's before snooze time; Akeela and the Bee, RAN, House of Sand & Fog, Seven, HEAT, INSOMNIA, and Devil's Advocate.

All different.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 11:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A really good one is "ARCHANGEL" with DAniel Craig. (Its title refers to the Russian City)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 04:53 am
@farmerman,
I read on another thread your disappointment with the cancelling of a show called Grimms. I saw a trailer for it the other night, they're going to show it over here in a couple of weeks. Is there any point following it? I always get disappointed when a show is cancelled with everything unresolved, Dark Skies being a prime example.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
naah. You just need to see thwe first one because then, each separate episode is almost self sustaining.

Its about a cop who is a descendant of the Brothers Grimm and has inherited a power and a mission to root out the evil fairies and daemons. He alone can see these creatures and he bwefriends one who is like a "Gilligan " kind of a doofus . His befriended monster is a "Bludbaden" (which is supposedly dialect for a werewolf). Together they get involved in various tangles with the supernatural. It is kind of humorous as well as light supernatural.
I just got into it as something Id DVR and watch later on a Fri night, when it went on a hiatus, I think they retooled a bot and were seeing some positive ratings (I really have no idea what Im talking about , maybe they ran out of episodes and hadda make new)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 07:35 am
@farmerman,
Ok, I'll give it a try. I don't know much about Gilligan, is it from 'Gilligan's Island?' It's a show that gets referenced a lot in American TV shows, but I've never actually seen an episode.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
It was merely for reference, it was not a reccommendation.(I actually hated the damn show it was like Benny Hill--simple minded)

izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 09:43 am
@farmerman,
I assumed that, it may have been shown over here at the time, but I've never seen it, and it's mentioned a lot in The Simpsons.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
If you want to see a few episodes of Gilligan's Island, go to www.hulu.com They have few of them that you can stream for free.

The show is kind of mindless, but was very popular during its run.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 10:21 am
We saw The Ledge last night, a Sundance film.
Quote:
A police officer looks to talk down a young man lured by his lover's husband to the ledge of a high rise, where he has one hour to contemplate a fateful decision.

Brilliant movie! I always wonder why the good movies are rarely mentioned at the award shows but movies like the dreadful "The Tourist" got so many nominations.
Irishk

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@CalamityJane,
Good to hear. I thought Charlie Hunnam did a great job in Green Street Hooligans, so I need to look for this new one on DVD.

(I wasn't impressed with The Tourist, either)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 10:32 am
@CalamityJane,
The film distributor that bought the right's to The Ledge made the film ineligible:

Release dates for
The Ledge (2011) More at IMDbPro »

Quote:

Country Date
USA 21 January 2011 (Sundance Film Festival) (premiere)
USA 25 May 2011 (Video On Demand)
Belarus 26 May 2011
Kazakhstan 26 May 2011
Russia 26 May 2011
Italy 10 June 2011
Netherlands 16 June 2011
USA 8 July 2011 (limited)
Brazil 14 October 2011 (Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival)
Sweden 2 November 2011 (DVD premiere)

Most major awards need their respective films to have a certain qualifying theatrical run before hitting the rental market. Effectively and technically speaking, The Ledge is a straight to DVD movie with its video on demand release.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 02:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched "The Devil's Own" last night before hitting the zzz's. It stars Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt, and it's about an IRA agent who goes to NYC to buy weapons, but gets a police and his family involved in the violence when he stays with them. It's what one would call a "thriller."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 11:59 am
@barrythemod,
Tenth Avenue Angel, a somewhat moving little film from the 1940s on TCM's On Demand (for free) channel. Margaret O'Brien as a young girl continually dealing with tragic moments of life in the poor section of New York City during the olden days. To really get the tears flowing they pull out all the stops. It wasn't a dreadful movie and I stayed with it through it's entire run, even considered watching it a second time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:42 pm
Amelia . . . I loved it just as much this time as I did when I first saw it at the Newton Cinema in 2001
Irishk

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:49 am
Touching the Void. We watched this amazing docudrama on Netflix streaming...it literally kept us on the edge of our seats! The brutally honest narration by the actual climbers was an unexpected bonus. Wonderful film!
http://cdn-7.nflximg.com/en_us/boxshots/large/60033287.jpg
Mixing interviews with dramatic re-enactments of the event, this gripping docudrama retells the mountaineering trek gone awry of Simon Yates (Nicholas Aaron) and Joe Simpson (Brendan Mackey), who falls and breaks his leg while climbing in the Andes. Yates, who's tethered to him, attempts to lower him to safety but fails, forcing him to make a pivotal decision that may or may not save both of their lives. The question is, was it the right one?

jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:00 pm
@Irishk,
I just turned on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at the right moment to see the infamous fridge seen. Now, I love Indiana Jones, George Lucas (still), Harrison Ford, and Steven Spielberg. However, I did not love this movie until now. I was looking at it all wrong. Indy doesn't survive the atomic blast! He either died from severe injuries when the fridge was thrown so far away or, more likely, the fridge didn't move and he opened it and was exposed to extremely high radiation and heat. Either way, the rest of the movie is actually a hallucination he experienced before dying slowly and painfully. This movie is dark and depressing. :-(
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:48 am
re-watched the Australian film Tomorrow When The War Began

a decent little action flick, think Red Dawn set in Australia, an actress from the film is currently starring in an enjoyable little mystery series, Miss fisher Mysteries, and after watching the first episode of that show, i wanted to contrast it with her film role (very similar, in the film she plays a very religious person who agrees to help the cause but won't compromise her principals, in the show she's a devout catholic girl who vows the same, but can she keep those vows in both situations, only time will tell)

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:58 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Amelia . . . I loved it just as much this time as I did when I first saw it at the Newton Cinema in 2001

Amelie or Amelia? The French film or the biopic of Amelia Earhart? Trying to figure if the typo is the year or the title.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar,
you know why they would do that? Opening up a movie immediately for
DVD release is somewhat stupid, isn't it?
---

We've watched Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
I read the book and although it was much better than the movie, I still enjoyed the film.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:36 am
I watched "Midway" last night before going to sleep. Many move stars in that picture including my childhood friend, Sab Shimono, who has autographed my VHS box. He was an enemy pilot in the movie. When we saw him once many years ago, he told us that they get paid the most when there are closeups and talking. I'm gonna have to transfer it over to CD pretty soon, because VHS tapes become damaged with age.