The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 07:53 pm
@talk72000,
Or actually return to the roles where she earned critical support like Mean Girls AKA movies that aren't headed for the straight to DVD bin.

Pick a few challenging and substantial roles and actually show up to film them sober and melodrama free.
talk72000

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 09:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
She has such shitty parents. I guess one can't pick one's parents. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
snood

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 07:25 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

She has such shitty parents. I guess one can't pick one's parents. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Yes, her parents appear to be neurotic, goldigging messes, but at some point we can't blame all our f-ed up decisions on anyone but our very own adult self.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 07:26 pm
@snood,
True but the question remains can Lindsay Lohan and those damaged individuals like her even be considered functional adults?
snood

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
That may be 'a' question, but it certainly isn't 'the' only question remaining. I think a more definitive question is: At what point does someone like Ms Lohan, "damaged" though she may be but still with many more means and opportunities to seek and get help than the average joe, become accountable for the consequences of her own choices? She certainly claims the benefits of when those choices brought her fame and wealth, so shouldn't she bear the responsibility?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 09:27 pm
@snood,
Most certainly she should bear the brunt of the responsibility. I'm saying she should be helped while incarcerated with her problems instead of released into some silly house arrest where she can only hurt herself and others.

Her fame and wealth should never be a crutch or a shield in order to protect her from herself. When she does good (acting) she can be great.

The worst case scenario is that she'll be another Monroe, (Dead in a year or so), albeit a highly mocked and ridiculed version.
snood

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Most certainly she should bear the brunt of the responsibility. I'm saying she should be helped while incarcerated with her problems instead of released into some silly house arrest where she can only hurt herself and others.

Her fame and wealth should never be a crutch or a shield in order to protect her from herself. When she does good (acting) she can be great.

The worst case scenario is that she'll be another Monroe, (Dead in a year or so), albeit a highly mocked and ridiculed version.

I agree with what you say here. The only slight difference is that I don't happen to see that huge of a talent in her. I thought she was okay playing a highschool girl playing highschool games about popularity in "mean girls", but that probably wasn't much of a stretch for her.
talk72000

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
@snood,
I am not sure if greedy parents or the entertainment industry are at fault. Kids like Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus were basically earning their keep and missing their childhood. Naturally their adolescence are all off kilter. The Harry Potter kids did well as they were treated as kids first. In Hollywood they are treated like the goose that laid the golden egg and when the golden egg didn't come the goose was no longer of interest. The kids were exploited and disposed off.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:19 pm
I watched 'Mulholland Drive' starring Naomi Watts, Justin Theroux and can't make sense of it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 08:18 pm
A classic: Midnight Cowboy - such a great movie!!!
snood

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:37 am
Just saw "Limitless" with Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro. Its a fascinating concept - a drug that lets you access all the dormant areas and potentials of your brain - making your abilities virtually limitless. I like the ways the movie addresses what kinds of pitfalls would come from possessing such a drug, and I was relieved it didn't end badly.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 11:07 am
@CalamityJane,
Brilliant movie with such a brilliantly improvised scene:
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Just finished watching the French thriller Tell No One (2006). It's a bit complicated but worth the while.

Just a warning. It moves at a slower pace then the trailer depicts:
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched The Devil's Advocate with Al Pachino last night before hitting snooze land, but wasn't all that impressed with the story line. The devil has a first rate attorney son...
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:00 am
We stayed in and watched Mao's Last Dancer on DVD. Enjoyed it very much. Now I want to read his book!
http://cdn-6.nflximg.com/en_us/boxshots/large/70095136.jpgA delegation from Madame Mao's Beijing Dance Academy selects 11-year-old peasant villager Li Cunxin to study ballet in far-off Beijing, where he trains for seven grueling years to become one of China's greatest dancers. His efforts win him the opportunity to dance in America, opening his eyes to a new love and the possibility of a dramatic defection from China in this remarkable true story based on Cunxin's autobiography.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:02 am
Due date with Robert Downey Jr. on PPV, some of it was pretty hilarious!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 11:02 pm
Awakenings with Robin Williams in his probably most serious role
and Robert DeNiro, who is simply brilliant as an actor. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 07:03 pm
I'm watching Meet Joe Black with Brad Pitt, another one I have on DVD.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:23 pm
Just watched The Conspirator on DVD. I tend to recoil from all things Civil War, but this one was handled pretty well in a lot of ways, I thought. The magnitude and weight of that war and the things that led to it and the damage it did really make me shake my head. Also, it wasn't lost on me that Robert Redford - a noted liberal - was the director; and there were definite anti-Jingoistic themes involved.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 06:54 pm
Unintentionally watched two polar opposite films tonight.

One studio produced, dirty, violent, virtually plotless, brilliantly filmed, and utterly strange:
A one eyed man frees himself from a medieval clan before he joins a Christian group of warriors who are headed on a crusade to Jerusalem.

Valhalla Rising (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

Rated a 9/10.

And just finished several minutes ago.
The other film is the mammoth budgeted, brilliantly colorful, giddy-inducing, song filled animated movie from the megastudio Disney, Tangled.

It's now my favorite nonPixar Disney animated film. It certainly has the most complicated Disney villain ever recorded.

http://i53.tinypic.com/av5z7o.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2dcbp6w.jpg

Rated a 10/10.
0 Replies