The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

panzade

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:58 pm
Tom Hanks is hilarious in this flick I saw last night. Not near as good as the original 1954 Alec Guiness original though.

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:51 pm
Watched this last night, not the first time I've seen it
yet it never fails to move me.
How would I describe this movie, one word. "Masterpiece"

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 03:19 pm
Watched "In the electric mist" last night, brilliant movie.
From the very first line, "My name's Dave Robicheaux. I'm an alcoholic ..."
you're hooked. Tommy Lee Jones is at his very best with a fine supporting
cast. Tommy plays a detective in Louisiana, who is trying to link the murder
of a local hooker to New Orleans mobster Julie (Baby Feet) Balboni, (John Goodman).
At the same time Robicheaux is also investigating a corpse he believes to be
the remains of a black man who he saw being murdered 35 years before.
This is an excellent movie, well worth watching. 10 out of 10...
http://www.kingdom-kvcd.net/forums/imghost/IMG128379-1233580893.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuIa00bPJHw
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2011 08:03 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
The movie came from a D Lee Burke book, "In the ELectric Mist wit COnfederate Dead".

The empathy with Gen Hood (who was a bit of an incompetent CSA general) plays an important part in the book that was unable to translate in the movoe so they moved it over to the ex cop and "Little Feet".

I lkie Burkes Books , hes like Elmore Leonard in that he doesnt waste a lot of silly words on flowery descriptions. He brings his stories up with dialogie and action.

I streamed "In the Valley of Gwangi" last evening. Its a dinosaur fanboy treat. Its got a lot of second generation claymation dinosaurs. Not quite as good as the chicken escape or that english guy and his claymation dog

Watched the initial episode of "Wifred".Its supposed to be a comedy about this suicidal attorney who sees this dog as a guy in a costume. The dog is a pet of this guys hot neighbor. Only the hero can see that the dog is actually a guy in a costume (Or maybe the guys just nuts). Very dumb show that seemed to have great promise. (The execution always sucks with a good idea). The dog actually looked familiar to me and for a while I could not place it. Then, last night it hit me. The dog was a spitting image of the greasy little fat RAT that was also a little fat guy in a rat suit. It was part of a kids science show called "BEAKMAN AND FRIENDS" (I used to watch it on the floor with the kids and laughed my ass off at this sleazy rat suited guy )It was perfect casting. The guy in the rat suit looked like he never bathed and was always sucking his teeth. His rat suit was unkempt, his whiskers were busted and his ratty ears were somewhat shredded.
BUT that was a great show. I wonder if NEtflix has a trove of Beakmans?

As fvar as Wilfred, I give it a couple of weeks, no more.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:08 am
Just caught "Gaslight" on TCM. I have seen this movie probably a half dozen times, and it never fails to impress me. Boyer is such a suave sadist, and Bergman plays the role of a woman being driven to madness to "T".

The film was made in 1944. It is amazing to see a very young Angela Lansbury in her first part.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:06 pm
My wife and I went out for breakfast, then went to Target where I purchased two DVD's. Matt Damon in Green Zone, and Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman in Seven.

If anyone who's seen these movies please comment?
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
C.I. I saw Seven a long time ago. It is an excellent film, if a "bit" on the gory side.
IMDB gives the movie an 8.7, which tells me that a lot of movie goers liked the film too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:25 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks; will view the picture within a day or two.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:45 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for the heads up on the book FM, I'll see if I can get it.
I too felt it the movie didn't do that part of the story justice,
like you said it didn't seem to translate to the movie.
I've seen "In the Valley of Gwangi" before, Good movie, reminds
me of "The Land that time Forget" with Doug McClure, remember that one.

I've never heard of "Wifred", sound like an odd story line, then again
sometimes their the best.
I recently watch a 7 part series on the BBC called "The Shadow line", I don't
know if you can get it, but I enjoyed it. The BBC also have a cop show
called "Luther" which is worth watching.
I'm pretty sure you could find them online.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5XZOFpa-MZ6YnfGJGrv7It3t1hjJMQre-2t6oWWgme0XN6DwgGQ
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCq2EbcgeUyyXBDhKQNkiHzURAj5YBNbSRhnigQUFXJAruHWh7
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 01:59 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
luther looks pretty sweet, gonna look for it
Irishk

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:33 pm
@djjd62,
I watched the first 6-episode season last Fall. Great series. Finale was excellent. Totally, totally excellent.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:23 pm
We watched two movies this weekend, and both were really good, engrossing thrillers. The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, and Unknown with Liam Neeson.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 01:56 pm
@snood,
I thought Unknown was excellent, good fast paced thriller.
Now I like both Matt Damon and Emily Blunt but I just don't
know about The Adjustment Bureau, sure it was watchable,
but I thought the "It's all in the hat" scenario was a bit lame.
Off the two, definitely I thought Unknown was the better.

If you haven't already, check out Matt Damon in "Hereafter"
directed by Clint Eastwood, drags on a bit, but a powerful
opening scene.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0iKSsqq8tZslO2NjrZxdDnUccXtqtOxmDjltztLO7D2mT6Xbp
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
Watched the surrealist love letter to the city of Tokyo, practically titled Tokyo! (2008).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976060/

A triptych of short films based out of the city of Tokyo.

I. Michel Gondry's Interior Design: 9/10. A heartbreaking tale of ennui and youthful indecision and doubt.
II. Leos Carax's Merde: 7/10. The weakest of the lot. An unconventional monster movie touching on racism and foreigners living in Japan.
III. Joon-ho Bong's Shaking Tokyo: 10/10. A heartwarming and oddly funny tale on a single hikikomori, a hermit who never leaves his home for any reason. The protagonist hasn't left his home in 11 years until one day he becomes smitten after he makes eye contact with his usual pizza delivery-girl for the first time ever. Features the most romantic earthquake ever in film.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 07:09 pm
I saw three. Two oldies: A Ship of Fools with Lee Marvin and Vivien Leigh. Tough guy Lee Marvin gets whacked for kissing Vivien as he goes to her cabin whose number was given by the Spanish vixen who didn't like Lee Marvin's cheap ways. 'Once Upon A Time in the West' by Sergio Leone of "Fistful of Dollars" fame was great with Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Woody Strode, Jack Elam and Keenan Wynn. I also saw the first "Hangover" which is similar in vein to Porky except this is the adult version. Mick Tyson appears with an animal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:40 pm
@talk72000,
I watched Open Range with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner two nights ago, and enjoyed it tremendously. It's a story about some cowboys who grazes their cows through open pastures, and the local, evil, rancher tries to take away their herd. The evil rancher already has the local sheriff under control, and controls the towns people through the sheriff and violence.

When the evil rancher hurts one of the cowboys who eventually dies, and hurts the young kid on their crew, Duvall and Costner go into town, and have a showdown with the sheriff and all the men working for the evil rancher.

It's sorta like the gunfight at the OK Corral, and we all know who ends up winning.

talk72000

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 07:35 pm
I saw Machete by Robert Rodriguez starring Danny Trejo, Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Don Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Steven Seagal and Lindsay Lohan, Cheech Marin and Jeff Fahey. Wow, it was some movie.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 08:35 pm
@talk72000,
Yep. Machete Was a movie. Can't say I either hated or loved it. Felt a tad too meh about it myself.
snood

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 07:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's a favorite of mine. Costner and Duvall are perfect together. Anytime I see that TNT or anywhere else is playing the movie, I will watch it at least for awhile, even though I've probably seen it ten times already.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 07:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was over the top for sure. I hope Landsay Lohan gets out of her troubles with the Gotti movie. Machete didn't do her any good. She has to play a role similar to Michelle Rodriguez to remake her image.