The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 06:17 am
@farmerman,
not familiar with that one, off to see
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 06:36 am
@farmerman,
The House Of Elliot used to be broadcast on the ABC (national Oz broadcaster) quite a few years ago. Early 1990s, I think.

A British series about two sisters who set up their own fashion house during the 1920s. I used to enjoy watching it, too.

As I recall production ended quite abruptly after 2 or 3 series, without the story being properly resolved. I think the BBC pulled the plug on it.
djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 06:40 am
@msolga,
just got a copy of Cloudstreet,haven't watched it yet, but it looks really good

any comments msolga
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 08:08 am
I saw "Inside Job" at the movies, some time ago, and it pissed me off. I saw it again, last night at home, and it pissed me off even more. For those of you who are not familiar, the film is a documentary about the 2008 economic meltdown.

What I found interesting, was that the one person (Elliot Spitzer) who seemed very adamant about dealing with the people who caused this atrocity, had to leave office over some personal sex scandal.

What made me really angry about this film, is that a number of presidents, both Democrats and Republicans, have reappointed the same jokers who were at the root of this debacle.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 08:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
The documentary breached my top 5 films of 2010. You should also watch Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer (2010) which also overlaps Charles Ferguson's documentary in key areas about the financial crisis. Plus it has a great sense of humor as well as it interviews some of the real life characters involved in Eliot Spitzer's sex scandal.

What I got from these two docs is that if Eliot Spitzer had not fallen, many of his regulations as Attorney General and governor would have still been in place and the financial crisis would have been far more limited then it ended up being.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 08:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
"Kill the Irsishman" the "based on true life drama of Danny Green" the Cleveland gangster who was , by his death, responsible for the severe take down of the Mid West and New York Mafia.

I was entertaining but loaded with bombings (even though, as a historical footnote, the Cleveland Bombings associated with this story were a real happning in the mid 70's)

2.5 out of 5 on the Fman scale
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 08:38 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan- You know what they say about "great minds". Laughing

I checked my queue at Blockbuster, and it looks like Client 9 is near the top of my list. Thanks for mentioning it. I am looking forward to seeing the film!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
"The Third Man" was one of the first movies I saw. I was about six, and my family went to see it at a drive-in. I didn't understand the movie at the time, but the images and especially the haunting zither music stayed with me all these years. I have since seen this movie as an adult and highly recommend it, one of the best of the film noire genre.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:23 pm
@farmerman,
I also like the series, "Doc Martin," simply a well done character-driven series full of small town zany characters, not the least of which is the title character, a blood-phobic doctor with the worst bed-side manner ever.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:31 pm
@coluber2001,
"Do you have a medical problem that you wish to discuss?"
"THEN GET OUT"

gotta love that
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:38 pm
Check out "Europa, Europa," about a 13 year old Jewish boy in Germany just prior to the war II. After Crystalnacht, his family moves to Poland to safety. Bad move. After the invasion of Poland the boy and his brother escape to the East. The protagonist gets separated from his brother and is reared in a Soviet orphanage until that is overrun by the nazis. He is captured by the Nazis and convinces them that he is German and not a jew. He serves in the German infantry and tries to surrender to the Russians, who surrender to him instead, and he becomes a hero and is sent to a fanactical German military school. The whole movie is a series of coincidences and lucky escapes, but is a true story--as far a true stories in movies go. The odd thing is that, while the actor portraying the protagonist doesn't look Jewish, the boy he is portraying in real life did very much look Jewish.

This is a movie about Jews in World War II Germany that doesn't leave you depressed and guilt-ridden. Check it out.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:49 pm
I haven't seen "Black Swan," but have "Billy Elliot," another ballet movie, with little actual ballet dancing in it. Of course, "Billy Elliot" is now a broadway musical, a separate entity from the film. "Billy Elliot" is about a young teen boy growing up in Durham, a coal mining region of England and takes place during a worker's strike. The boy surreptitiously takes ballet lessons instead of the boxing lessons he is supposed to be taking.

You don't have to enjoy ballet to enjoy this movie, which is so good that it inspired the broadway musical.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:54 pm
If you haven't seen it, check out "How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog," with Kenneth Branaugh. Branaugh is a playwright currently rehearsing a play. His wife wants a baby, but he doesn't until he forms a relationship with a next-door neighbor's daughter. The movie is a well-written comedy with superb acting. Check it out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:02 am
@djjd62,
You're way ahead of me, dj, I didn't even know it had been released yet.
Gosh you're quick!

It won't be shown on free to air TV here, so I'll have to buy it to see it, so I'll be very interested to hear your reaction.
Tim Winton is one of my favourite Oz novelists.
I'll be very disappointed if they stuff this one up.
I hope they don't overdo the nostalgia.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 06:58 pm
Watched Hitchcock's 1938 thriller, The Lady Vanishes.

Intriguing that Hitchcock included his underlying appeal/hidden message to the isolationists of the US and those of the UK who balked at challenging the politically/militarily aggressive Hitler. Pacifism, at least according to the subtheme was a lousy excuse for avoiding the inevitable conflict with Hitler and Germany. Isolationism and pacifism wouldn't save either party from being attacked.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:57 pm
@coluber2001,
I never saw that, but remember wanting to.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:01 am
Great movie suggestions here - I already added "The Company Man" - saw a trailer and was captured. Anything with Tommy Lee Jones in it, must be good. "The Third Man" - what a classic. I saw it as a child too, and who can ever forget the music from Anton Karas....di di didi di...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:27 am
Last night I saw "The White Ribbon", about life in the German countryside right before WWI. It is filmed in black and white, which underscores the starkness of the film. It looks fabulous on blu-ray. It is a movie that may be interpreted on many levels.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:10 pm
I just watched Million Dollar Baby. I loved it, despite that I generally don't want for a film to have that kind of ending. There seems to be a theme of losing as an old man in Eastwood's movies these days.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Last night I saw "The White Ribbon",

I heard it was very good.
0 Replies