The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I wanted to go see Black Swan, but it's not playing in any of our local theaters.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://www.2gb-hosting.com/v/42571be8a3f3acad8289f149cf2a5e9b/4432938e8e831b4.avi.html
Irishk

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
Kings of Pastry (2009)

Quote:
Acclaimed documentarians D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus venture inside the deliciously cutthroat Meilleur Ouvrier de France, the legendary French pastry competition, to capture this fascinating account of what it takes to be the best pâtissier. Held every four years, the contest separates not only the yolks from the whites but the amateurs from the artisans. Renowned chefs from around the world let their tempers fly as they vie for the crown.

It was easy to get caught up in the personal stories, which also made it very moving at times.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:28 pm
Attended the First Run Film Festival: Wassmerman Awards held by NYU tonight.

Watch several wonderful short student films tonight.

Expect to see the following names in the future:
Zelmira Gainza, Alexander Smolowe, and Pamela Romanowsky.

Little Horses - Levi Abrino. Charming and heartwarming comedy about a father trying to show his son he still loves him despite the presence of exwife's new boyfriend.

Baby Ruth by Jeremy Reitz: Experimental film along the lines of Time Code where the screen is always halved and where two cameras are shooting almost the same scene at that same time (one camera per halve screen).

Gravity by Pamela Romanowsky: A dialogue free film about a couple living on in the wilderness. Great use of music to shape the atmosphere and mood of the piece.

The wife is the hunter of the family, providing food for herself and the man. When she rescues a rabbit from one of her own traps, instead of killing it, her life changes in unexpected ways.

Borderland by Alexander Smolowe.
Screenwriting Award to Alexander Smolowe

Alexander Smolowe won the first place King Award in the Undergraduate Depart. A short vignette on two WWII American soldiers stuck out in the middle of the woods in nowhere Europe, hunting down an Italian officer.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:34 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Hmm, you get voted down for trying to be helpful,
wont make that mistake again.
dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:36 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I think maybe people think the link is dodgy e.c.y., maybe even illegal (not sure about that). I got lots of popups and rubbish looking at the link
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:54 am
@dadpad,
OK fair enough, the pop-ups are a nuisance, but you just right click
and close to get past them and only press play, not download.
As for the legality, buddy 90% of whats on the web is illegal including
all the songs on You-Tube or most of them and A2K is full of music videos
from You-Tube, so if somebodies going to be picky about it, well we might
as well stop posting music videos too.
Thanks for the heads up anyway Dadpad, like I said I wont bother doing
it again.
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:58 am
@eurocelticyankee,
i wouldn't worry about it, the vote down only means someone doesn't want to see it, everyone else still can, ignore the numbers and keep posting what you want, the admins will remove anything they deem unacceptable
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:01 am
@djjd62,
No worries, DJ. Wink
dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:21 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
ignore the numbers and keep posting what you want, the admins will remove anything they deem unacceptable

I want to second that. I do actually use the thumbs to get stuff out of my sight. (Like the crossword/lovetts/neopets people) I guess some people down vote things I post (shrug). We kinda worked this over a long time ago. Its not a popularity contest. Getting a thumbs down just means someone didnt want to see that particular post.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:16 pm
Watched the kind of pointless classic Cool Hand Luke. I have mixed feelings about the Paul Newman film. Great acting but really stupid characters doing really stupid things. This type of movie doesn't age very well in terms of getting past its own production era.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
On the basis of a Netflix recommendation, I chose to watch the indie comedy Please Give (2010) because it thought I'd consider it a 4 and a half star film out of 5. Once again, Netflix's AI was dead wrong. Should have gone with my instinct and brief memory that the film was panned by critics when it came out last year.

A slice of NYC life film, the two families centered in the film are on the cusp of being well to do NYC caricatures.

Though the acting isn't bad (not incredibly great either), the attempts to bring an independent three dimensional nature to the characters fell flat.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Rewatched Toy Story 3 tonight. Interesting to see the homage (plot reference) to Cool Hand Luke in the treatment of the toys as prisoners subplot and the use of the box for overnight punishment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:18 pm
I was at Target today to get some snacks, and purchase the new version of Les Miserables with Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean. I'm going to watch it tonight no matter how tired I feel before going to sleep.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Was that with Geoffrey Rush as Javert? I would love to see the version with Gerard Depardieu as Valjean and John Malkovich as Javert.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Yup, that's the one with G Rush.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm

"In Bruges" is one of the weirdest, funniest films that I have ever seen. It is totally original.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:32 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Colin Ferrell should have won the Oscar for that year because of In Bruges. Easily his best perfomance yet.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
I had never heard of the film. I put it on my Blockbuster list, played it, and was totally enchanted by it.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:24 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Just saw Agnes Browne again. It's a brilliant movie with Angelica Houston (she directed the movie too).... The first time I've seen it was on the
plane and even the macho marine sitting next to us had to wipe away some tears.
The movie is both - funny and sad! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160509/
0 Replies