The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

talk72000

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw 'desert rats' (starring Richard Burton and James Mason as Rommel and 'the young lions' with Marlon Brando as a young Nazi explaining that he saw no future as a ski instructor and so he joined the Nazis. The German economy was quite bad after WWI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:15 pm
@talk72000,
Yes, it was, and when he became an officer, he didn't have the stomach to kill people. The irony is how he died.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:03 pm
Just saw "the Next Three Days" with Russell Crowe playing a junior college teacher who is determined not to accept the reality that his wife has been sentenced to life in prison. Good, suspenseful action/drama flick.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:28 pm
Waste Land (2010) just came up on Netflix streaming.
A documentary following the Brazilian artist, Vic Muniz, as he tries to bring exposure to the world of the horrible conditions of the garbage pickers working in the largest landfill in the world (just outside of Rio De Janeiro).

The documentary, whose filmmakers interviews a handful of pickers, culminating into a collaborative art project led by Muniz and these selected garbage pickers. Large scale photographs involving recycled material and the image of the picker's themselves are sold at auction with all of the proceeds to the pickers and to the workers at the landfill.

A must see documentary which did in fact deserve its Oscar nomination.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:36 pm
Watched UNSTOPPABLE with Denzel . It was friggin intense. A real train ride all the way through. Now much complexity in the plot but its like watching a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Im a sucker for train movies. My dad was the trainmaster for a Pa railroad
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:40 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, if you liked Unstoppable, you might appreciate the SNL sketch they created to parody the film:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/193067/saturday-night-live-unstoppable-trailer
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:57 pm
Watched Leonard Cohen Live in London. Fabulous! Great concert!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 09:24 am
The Fabulous Baker Boys with Jeff and Beau Bridges playing brothers and Michelle Pfeiffer.

When I watched Crazy Heart, I kept thinking of Jeff in The Fabulous Baker Boys and The Jagged Edge, where he played two men who were as different from Bad Blake as they were from each other. I just haven't had the time to watch as many movies as I would like.

When I passed the videostore while running errands, and saw it was dollar night, I couldn't resist. I remember liking the movie when I saw it in the theatre: I just didn't remember that it was 1989!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:43 am
@plainoldme,
I love The Fabulous Baker Boys. What great screen chemistry between the real life brothers.

Great music, great acting, and a great story! A perfect 10/10.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
Watched the real life story, Bronson (2008).

Michael Peterson, aka Charles Bronson, is the so called most violent prisoner in the UK prison system.

It's a highly stylized biography with a great soundtrack and incredible acting.

Tom Hardy was absolutely snubbed by the Oscars. His absolutely incredible performance was one of the best performances of 2009.

Easily topping the winner of the 2010 Oscars: Crazy Heart: Jeff Bridges

And the year's other nominees.

A Single Man: Colin Firth
Invictus: Morgan Freeman
The Hurt Locker: Jeremy Renner
Up in the Air: George Clooney
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Wasn't Charles Bronson an actor?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
I remember thinking when the movie was released that it was perfect to cast two brothers as two brothers. I loved the movie just as much this time, in part because I've developed a greater appreciation for Jeff and Beau.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wasn't Charles Bronson an actor?
He was, inter alia, the star of the DEATH WISH movies,
but many before them.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Charles Buchinski became Charles Bronson. His Buchinski name is the original 'House of Wax' with Vincent Price. He played the dumb Russian slave, Igor, or something carrying all the waxed victims.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:30 pm
@talk72000,
House of Wax? Wow, that was when most of us were young children - and somewhat innocent. I think we saw that movie at the FOX in Sacramento.
talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw the dvd in a dollar store. The oldies can be obtained real cheap. I also saw Death Wish from the dollar store dvd. There are some with two movies in one dvd for a dollar.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 10:55 am
@talk72000,
I'm going to start looking for those old classics. It would be fun to watch them again.
talk72000

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I tried to reply to your PM but time ran out. I don't seem to have PM except when someone else PMs me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:46 pm
I saw Downton Abbey, which was streamed on the internet. It is a PBS mini-series, and until yesterday, had never heard of it. It is British, and shows the lives of an aristocratic English family, entwined with the lives of their servants. In a way it reminded me of "Upstairs, Downstairs". Maggie Smith plays the dowager countess, with wit and flair.

There were 7 episodes, and I watched them all, over one evening, and the next morning. I just could not pull myself away from it. I found it completely engrossing.

The series that I saw was made in 2010. I understand that there were episodes made in 2011, but they are not out on disc yet. I just can't wait to watch them.
spidergal

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 01:07 am
The last movie I watched on DVD was The Princess Diaries, and I really have nothing to say about it except that it is very silly. I got it because I wanted to watch some feel-good stuff over the weekend. Not much help that way.

The day before that I saw SHutter Island, and I was so affected by it I went to bed feeling semi-depressed. It's a good movie, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I started drawing parralels between the protagonist's life and mine - and I felt I was trapped, etc.

When I woke up next morning, I was jolly and only had a faint recollection of the movie, but I still can't forget my state immediately after watching it.

Next up are Ghost and Munich.
0 Replies