The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 08:02 pm
have been watching the MGM Miss Marple films (1961-64) starring Margaret Rutherford, the films are played more for laughs that thrills, but very entertaining, the director has a thing for mirrors it seems, in the three of the four films i've seen so far there's been at least on scene where a mirror was used for some effect or another, one was to show the setting of the scene for the final showdown, another was a reflection of a door off screen, a character enters and has brief conversation with the character on screen (who is looking at the viewer, as is the the other character as she's reflected in the mirror, i fact they appear to be standing side by side) the third was the use of a small compact mirror, attached to an umbrella handle used to view outside and inside of rooms through the transom above the doors
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:54 pm
I watched a bio of Jeff Bridges broadcast a month ago on PBS' American Masters series. I saw Crazy Heart a year ago with two friends. We resolved that night to hold a Jeff film festival. I couldn't really do it because of time constraints, but, now there are a lot of films I want to see.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:14 am
@plainoldme,
You must se"The Contender" and watch how Bridges plays the supreme manipulatarian by using the metaphor of food preparation . WHenever food is offered, something big happened. (THATS not a plot buster at all because this one will keep you guessing until the veeerry end). I think its one of Bridges best (Up there wit Lebowski)

LAst Night We watched "Get LOW" with Robert Duvall. The decision to overlook this movie for many of the important film awards was, in my mind, some excellent decision making on behalf of the nominations committees.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:20 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Looking for THE NEXT THREE DAYS". I will take your advice in this.
Further I will forego any future DOO wayne Johnosn or "Rock" movies, or any movie in which the star is or has been named for anything geological. I only saw one Rock movie that was watchable and Ive forgotten which one it was.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 09:30 am
@farmerman,
I've always been a fan of Robert Duvall. He was one of the people interviewed for the Bridges documentary. (BTW, the program showed Bridges making cermic sculptures -- I had no idea he is also a potter -- and painting. The ease with which he worked was awe inspiring.) He showed up in the next documentary I watched, on Merle Haggard.

I think Bridges, Duvall, Deniro and Hoffman are among the best American film actors.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 09:33 am
@farmerman,
Speaking of Bridges, we just watched The Fisher King with J. Bridges and Robin Williams. We gave it 4* on a 5* Netflix scale.
snood

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:54 pm
@JPB,
Just watched Megamind with my wife. Goofy fun with voices of Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Brad Pitt.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 07:28 pm
@djjd62,
just watched the fourth film, no actual mirror in this one, but in one scene Miss Marple is watching some one from behind a curtain, and sees his reflection on the glass front of a medicine cabinet
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 07:31 pm
Just saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona with Javier Bardem. I understand that he is in contention for an Oscar tonight. Anyhow, the last time that I saw him was in "No Country for Old Men", in which he played a psychopath. In the movie I saw today, he played a very romantic figure.

To me, the test of a good actor is that you don't recognize him from one film to the other. In other words, a good actor plays the part, not himself. My that benchmark, Bardem is a great actor. Mr. P. could not believe that it was the same guy in both films, and I had to prove it to him by playing trailers of the two films for him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
It's because it was filmed in Philadelphia. Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
what was? Get Low was filmed in Georgia, and the Contender was filmed in DC.
The only Duane Johnso Movie I liked was filmed in the Moroccan desert
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 11:32 pm
Just finished watching the low key, under the radar independent monster film,Monsters (2010). What a great film that I hope that there will be sequels.

Plus it's on Netflix streaming as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Watching the documentary, Last Train Home (2009), a narrationless doc about a migrant factory worker couple who only gets the opportunity to go home and visit their family once a year.

Now for some reason, their oldest daughter wants to drop out of school and work full time in the clothing factories her parents work at. Not for familial reasons but because she prefers the mind numbing repetitive work to school and possibly better future I suppose. The daughter openly admits to not having much of a emotional connection to her parents since she was mostly raised by her grandparents.

I'm not a fan of these narratorless documentaries. These filmmakers forget that context is king and much is lost when they simply try to leave the storytelling to the alleged magic of nothing but editing.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Watched one of the foggiest films ever made (and one of the worst films ever made Mad ): Pod People (1983)! Thanks MST3k!

Painful and painfully funny! Laughing
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:17 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
The daughter openly admits to not having much of a emotional connection to her parents since she was mostly raised by her grandparents.

And, in addition to feeling abandoned, she was also born when the one-child policy was still in effect. I noticed that during one of their more heated quarrels, her dad argued that he'd 'tolerated' her, making me wonder if maybe he resented losing out on some of the economic benefits that the government awarded to the families that obeyed the one-child rule. Qin may have felt abandoned by more than just her parents' physical absence.
0 Replies

deepunirwan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:14 am
Last time I watched my favorite movie that is "Titanic" such a great movie for lovers because In which have emotion drama and love. by this movie I thought that Loves never dead.
0 Replies

pitterwilliams

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:52 am
Last time I saw on DVD most popular movie that is "Harry Potter" It was a greatest movie and I like very much Mostly both characters.
Thanks
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:35 am

I saw Jurassic Park last nite on HDTV; I got a double dose of it; a GOOD MOVIE.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:09 am
@Phoenix32890,
I love to see the same actor play different roles. When I still lived near Boston, the kids and I volunteered at American Repertory Theatre in order to see plays for free. There were actors we came to love because of the shades they brought to different characters.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:17 am
@pitterwilliams,
I bought a dvd set of 4 war movies, and watched the last one last night. It was Von Ryan's Express with Frank Sinatra. The set also includes The Desert Rats, Twelve O'Clock High, and the Young Lions. Enjoyed them all, and it cost only $10 at Target.