The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:07 am
Watched the Adam Sandler, film "Grown Ups".
Disappointing, like all these inane comedies. Their
usually only good for one laugh, this was no different.
This is it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjK64MAJS2E
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:12 am
We watched The Social Network last night. Really enjoyed it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:08 pm
@plainoldme,
I am going to watch Carnal Knowledge next. I just saw Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy, Liz Taylor and a very young Russ Tamblyn. Elmer Gantry (Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons, Shirley Jones, Arthur Kennedy) was good. I will look for Alcatrez with Burt Lancaster in it as well.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:30 pm
@talk72000,
Went on a Jeff Bridges review. Watched "The Contender" where Bridges plays a mensch POTUS. Every scene seems to include food , like all the mafia movies.
ragnel

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:20 am
@farmerman,
I saw 'Secondhand Lions' on TV last night. I thought Haley Joel Osment was not well cast, (he seemed to be at that stage boys go through, being all arms and legs, stiff and awkward, just before the testosterone explosion takes place) and I cannot abide Kyra Sedgwick, but having said that, I thought it was a wonderful movie. Robert Duvall and Michael Caine were both brilliant (no surprise) and as long as you saw it all through a 12-year old's eyes (which was so easy to do), the story was great.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
I did see Jeff Bridges movies after the fact i.e. not in cinemas. I guess his father was Lloyd Bridges. I saw his Starman, Iron Man on dvd.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 03:05 pm
This afternoon, I watched the Coen Brother's first film, Blood Simple (1984). For years, I always thought I had seen this film until last week when I read someone's online review and decided to refresh my memory by watching the trailer.

For some reason I believe I had been mistaking the Bill Paxton film One False Move, a crime film that came out 8 years after Blood Simple and has no similarities in the title to blur the two films together.

Anyhow, it's a solid film debut. Great acting but the story is weighed down by the slightly convoluted plot and the all around idiotic main characters. I kind of wish more was done with the Meurice character (Samm-Art Williams) or that the Coen Brothers bring that character back for another film ... or at least the actor if he's still alive.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 05:05 pm
Just watched "You will meet a tall dark stranger". A Slice
of life movie from Woody Allen. Typical Allen film.
A ironic look at entangled relationships, age & sexuality.
I cant say it was funny but I watched it with a wry smile.
Good cast, did the best they could with what they had to
work with.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJnP7ItLFTPcapkf54sqIjzqDkc0ZB1xM4TL9SGbWN_JV5hHIu
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:04 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Just watched "Sahara" on N'Flix feed. The neat thing about this Humphrey Bogart movie was how they accomodated the happenings in WWII North AFrica. The movie was actually filmed just a few months(April 1943) after the second battle of el-alemein (Nov 2?, 1942), where Churchills famous "end of the beginning" phrase was born.
The movie was, to my surprised, not hyperbolized by inhuman Nazis . For the most part, the combatants were shown as just people subject to needs of food and water.

I rather liked it, especially showing Bogart as a grizzled tank commander driving an early POS WWII US tank with a 50mm main "pop"gun.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:10 am
@farmerman,
I watched Sahara not so long ago. I liked it very much.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
I've seen some of the later Truffaut movies in the theatrical release -- A Day for a Night, Small Change and Au Revoir, Mon Enfants -- and loved them all.

I was a tad young when 400 Blows came out and played at the Studio theatre in Detroit.

I fully intend to hold a private Truffaut film festival.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:09 pm
@talk72000,
I'm sorry my comments on Carnal Knowledge tended toward the cynical because I enjoyed the film. I particularly liked the way Ann-Margaret's character was actually the good girl while Candace Bergen's character was questionable.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:16 pm
been watching an Ealing comedy collection lately
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ealing_Studios
Passport to Pimlico (1949)
Whisky Galore! (1949)
A Run for Your Money (1949)
The Titfield Thunderbolt (1953)
The Maggie (1954)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Coen Brothers do get good performances out of their actors.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:44 pm
My son had fond memories of a movie he saw about 10 years ago, when he was 16, starring John Lithgow, one of his favorite actors. We watched it. It's called Raising Cain, directed by Brian De Palma.

I was bored and thought the movie was silly and, despite the presence of Lithgow, rather badly acted. I did nothing more than point out De Palma's Hitchcock homage in the movie. However, after it was over, my son said it was cheesy. I just said that sometimes we're disappointed in things we liked as teenagers.

Until now, I associated De Palma with what I consider his cheesy psychological thrillers. However, when I looked him up just now, I saw he directed Carlito's Way with Al Pacino and Sean Penn, which is a film I remember vividly and fondly. Saw it with a friend one night at the end of a snow storm.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:19 pm
I tend to like watching Michael Palin travelogues. His Pole To Pole in 1991 was excellent just left Russia before Gorachev was arrested. He took the route along the Nile and was in the Hotel where Agatha Christie lodged for the movie Death on the Nile.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:26 pm
Just watched a wonderful, wonderful movie. Heartbreaking, sad and uplifting.
Especially poignant if you're a parent. Great cast, nothing bad to say about it,
highly recommend it. Set in Australia with one of my favourite actors James Nesbitt
Oh yeah, It's called...MATCHING JACK... have the hankies ready.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8QQrTpFmDCld9-HBZZg2Xim2aEBvd7SX-3Okz7J6cYLEvBnP3PA
http://www.wootly.com/s7konk0i0kgz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:15 pm
I just finished watching The Motorcycle Diaries, which, I was surprised to learn, was made in 2004. I knew that I was out of touch with the movies but I had no idea I was that far out of touch.

It began well then bogged down. Beautiful scenery. I'm glad I saw it for the scenery.
talk72000

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:19 pm
@plainoldme,
It is the inequities he saw during those travels that changed him form a med student to a revolutuionary.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 02:09 pm
I just saw Kite Runner. A really good movie about Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion. It reminds me of my days of kite flying. It shows that Afghanistan and India have a common past.