The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

talk72000

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:06 pm
@talk72000,
Watching the news about Berlusconi jogged my memory about "Perfect Cadavers" about the mafia in Sicily. I realized that they are different.

HistoryMain article: History of Sicily
[edit] Ancient tribes
The hilly countryside around Caltanissetta, in central SicilyThe original inhabitants of Sicily were three defined groups of the Ancient peoples of Italy. The most prominent and by far the earliest of which was the Sicani, who according to Thucydides arrived from the Iberian Peninsula (perhaps Catalonia).[7][8] Important historical evidence has been discovered in the form of cave drawings by the Sicani, dated from the end of the Pleistocene Epoch, around 8000 BC.[9] The arrival of the first humans is correlated with extinction of dwarf hippos and dwarf elephants. The Elymians, thought to be from the Aegean Sea, were the next tribe to migrate to join the Sicanians on Sicily.[10]

Although there is no evidence of any wars between the tribes, when the Elymians settled in the north-west corner of the island, the Sicanians moved across eastwards. From mainland Italy, thought to originally have been Ligures from Liguria came the Sicels in 1200 BC; forcing the Sicanians to move back across Sicily settling in the middle of the island.[9] Other minor italic groups who settled in Sicily were the Ausones (Aeolian Islands, Milazzo) and the Morgetes (Morgantina). There are many studies of genetic records which show inhabitants of various parts of the Mediterranean Basin mixed with the oldest inhabitants of Sicily. Among these were Egyptian, Phoenician, and Iberian.[11] The Phoenicians also were early settlers before the Greeks. Palermo is a name of Phoenician origin.[12]

[edit] Greek and Roman periodMain articles: Magna Graecia, Ancient Rome, and Sicilia (Roman province)

Greek temple at SelinunteAbout 750 BC, the Greeks began to colonize Sicily (Sikelia), establishing many important settlements. The most important colony was Syracuse; other significant ones were Akragas, Gela, Himera, Selinunte, and Zancle. The native Sicani and Sicel peoples were absorbed by the Hellenic culture with relative ease, and the area was part of Magna Graecia along with the rest of southern Italy, which the Greeks had also colonised. Sicily was very fertile, and the introduction of olives and grape vines flourished, creating a great deal of profitable trading;[13] a significant part of Greek culture on the island was that of Greek religion and many temples were built across Sicily, such as the Valley of the Temples at Agrigento.[14]

Politics on the island was intertwined with that of Greece; Syracuse became desired by the Athenians, who during the Peloponnesian War set out on the Sicilian Expedition. Syracuse gained Sparta and Corinth as allies, and as a result the Athenian expedition was defeated. The Athenian army and ships were destroyed, with most of the survivors being sold into slavery.[15]

The Roman amphitheatreWhile Greek Syracuse controlled much of Sicily, there were a few Carthaginian colonies in the far west of the island. When the two cultures began to clash, the Greek Punic Wars erupted, the longest wars of antiquity.[16] Greece began to make peace with the Roman Republic in 262 BC and the Romans sought to annex Sicily as its empire's first province. Rome intervened in the First Punic War, crushing Carthage so that by 242 BC Sicily had become the first Roman province outside of the Italian Peninsula.[16]

The Second Punic War, in which Archimedes was murdered, saw Carthage trying to take Sicily from the Roman Empire. They failed and this time Rome was even more unrelenting in the annihilation of the invaders; during 210 BC the Roman consul M. Valerian, told the Roman Senate that "no Carthaginian remains in Sicily".[17]

Sicily served a level of high importance for the Romans as it acted as the empire's granary, it was divided into two quaestorships in the form of Syracuse to the east and Lilybaeum to the west.[18] Although under Augustus some attempt was made to introduce the Latin language to the island, Sicily was allowed to remain largely Greek in a cultural sense, rather than a complete cultural Romanisation.[18] When Verres became governor of Sicily, the once prosperous and contented people were put into sharp decline, in 70 BC noted figure Cicero condemned the misgovernment of Verres in his oration In Verrem.[19]

The island was used as a base of power numerous times, being occupied by slave insurgents during the First and Second Servile Wars, and by Sextus Pompey during the Sicilian revolt. Christianity first appeared in Sicily during the years following AD 200; between this time and AD 313 when Constantine the Great finally lifted the prohibition on Christianity, a significant number of Sicilians became martyrs such as Agatha, Christina, Lucy, Euplius and many more.[20] Christianity grew rapidly in Sicily during the next two centuries. The period of history where Sicily was a Roman province lasted for around 700 years in total.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicily
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:56 pm
Kite Flying in Afghanistan:

Yup, paste with glass powder is put on the strings of the kite. The kite swoops down (dive) under the victim kite and then raise the kite into the string pulling fast to rub against the other's kite and cut the string. That is how it is done.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
I watched sahara, I was amazed I hadn't seen it before.
Great film, Bogart was perfect for the role.
He didn't like anybody bad mouthing Lulu Belle. (his tank).
A really good movie, enjoyed it.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1i5aAUfvKwFmZhPE9lcdFJz9ESrEB4SQImVcZGfQpDClqeQRl0A
Better in black and white.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:40 pm
I have been watching the HBO mini-series "Band of Brothers", (2001) and have completed seeing 5 of the six discs. (The 6th will probably come by mail tomorrow or Saturday).

It is about a company of paratroopers during WWII, and is absolutely breathtaking. It was put together by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. I was so intrigued by that series that I have already ordered Spielberg and Hank's "The Pacific", which is set in the Pacific, near the end of WWII.

I usually don't care for war movies, but will make an exception for Band of Brothers.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Band of Brothers is a powerful series. Love 10 times more then Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. Still haven't seen The Pacific yet though it's somewhere on my Netflix account.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I never could really get into "Saving Private Ryan". IMO it did not grab emotionally like Band of Brothers. I think that it might have made a better short story than a movie.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:03 am
@Phoenix32890,
One of the things I liked about Saving Private Ryan was the switch from fighting fields of France to a view of a curtained window, that, to me, seemed a French and not an American window. I think it was one of those subtle statements that was supposed to link the utter devastation of France -- doesn't SPR also have artillery exploding next to grazing cows? -- with the devastation of the Ryan family, whose house is shown.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:08 pm
Just watched "THE FOUNTAIN". Definitely in my top 10 favourite films.
I just love the movie. It's sad, surreal, visually stunning and has one of the
best soundtracks I've ever heard.
It's directed by Darren Aronofsky who has just directed "The Black Swan" and stars
Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. The soundtrack is by Clint Mansell and if you haven't
heard it, you're missing a real treat. The story is beautiful and the acting is wonderful.
I can't recommend this film enough and I believe it will go down as one of the greats, a masterpiece.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkNR3yRCPbkAcEvZAMOvgJKzlR7lpgekCjx7BkriLc9CGzqpM

Together We Will Live Forever.......Clint Mansell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Vm62a2G34

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 08:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I never could really get into "Saving Private Ryan". IMO it did not grab emotionally like Band of Brothers. I think that it might have made a better short story than a movie.

I did not like Saving Private Ryan. A shame, since I really like Tom Hanks.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:06 pm
Finally watching LAwrence of Arabia. There's been a run on it at the local video rental. It makes me think that the part of acting that is fun is riding around on camels and horses, bearing waving flags.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Saving Private Ryan was the first film in the cinema where I got motion sickness and a blistering headache because of the unstablized camera work in the first half hour.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:11 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I seen The Fountain. It's a great film. I'm still waiting for Aronofsky's much rumored director's cut. He blamed the studio for the forced editing which he claimed made the film a tad too difficult to follow at times.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sorta like The original versions oif "Scarface" with Paul Muni?
The director disavowed any association with the sanitzed Scarface.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:02 am
Watched an hour long Nova documentary, Dogs Decoded, about the genetic manipulation of dogs. That the several millennia long codendency between humans and dogs further advanced the canine species tightening up the relationship and made dogs and humans understand each other even more through genetic manipulation and natural selection.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:09 pm
The Magdalene Sisters. This "filem" is about Ireland's notorious Magdalene Laundries where pregnant girls, or girls who simply attracted too much masculine attention, were abandoned by their families, forced to do hard work without recreation while being subjected to mental and physical abuse. The acting is top drawer. The story deeply moving.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 07:40 am
@plainoldme,
Watched ANIMAL KINGDOM. It starts slowly and with the Australian accents being muffled on my version , the dialogue was a bit difficult to follow. It caught up and I started catching on to the dialogue. It started getting good and the creepiest part in the movie was when the kid calls his girls cell phone and hears it ringing nearby. (I wont say anything more).
IT hadda end the way it did, too much had happened in the interim.

The only thing I found a bit confusing was how they jumped past any trials or dispositions. That coulda been the source of some good action but they just jumped over it.
Irishk

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm
@farmerman,
We hit the eject button 20 minutes in. Might give it another go on reading your review, though.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 03:28 pm
@Irishk,
Yep, we almost did the same because if a flick doesnt start moving into the story somewhere in the first 20%, it usually just fumbles around. This one is a sleeper in that it gets really intense toward the middle and then reaches a climax that resolved it nicely for me.

You need to concentrate on the relationship with Uncle Pope, not so much "Ma Barker"
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 09:12 am
Seen "Let Me In" during the week. Quite an effective
little horror film. I cringed at first when I heard vampire movie,
but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Apparently it's a remake of
a 2008 Swedish film called "Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)".
So I have to see that now as well. The special effects were non existent but
the two young leads carried it along nicely. Verdict, worth a look.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_tmePW3nFE3HdTQBPB4a4PVcG0xu61-L9OxHsAupyWol-1relMg
talk72000

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:15 pm
I saw "A Summer Place" and French Connection II. Sandra Dee was really young and II wasn't as good.
0 Replies