The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:24 pm
I watched "The Men Who Stare At Goats" tonight.
I really enjoyed it, very funny.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjolhoe206V6pRGpq2WKEHJvKeK4z_4lUry8UgtHCRauMwrnrkRQ
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:34 pm
Watched the documentary Every Little Step about the process of casting the 2006 revival rendition of the musical A Chorus Line.

Chosen to watch it on Netflix streaming as I hate to scroll through dozens of movies to pick a movie when I'm ready to eat dinner. I figured that 1. Netflix is recommending it, 2. it looks to be the best option given amongst the several dozen on the watch instantly page, 3. it would make a great book ending for the weekend since I attended the Paul Taylor Company open house this afternoon.

Until watching the documentary, I knew little about the musical and I didn't really feel compelled to seeing it based on the few songs I knew about the show that were always associated with this legendary Broadway hit.

Now I have a slight bit of interest in actually seeing the show live on at Broadway but don't make me promise quite yet.

I'm not a fan of paying so much for the tickets, let alone for a musical I'm only partially interested in seeing in the first place.

The movie? A solid doc that knows how to pull the heartstrings of the viewers. Funny and moving and one can at least learn to appreciate how difficult these auditions are on the auditionees.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw a program years ago that explained the irony of A Chorus Line, that is, how so many individuals with histories and passions were molded into a uniformly dressed, precision dance unit that seemed to made up of clones.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 06:51 pm
@plainoldme,
I streamed in 'Dinner for Schmucks". I need to be more discerning and remember that trailers only show the very best 3 minutes of a movie and the remaining 2 hours isnt as good. This movie proved the theory of trailers.
There were a few jokes. Im ashamed for Steve Corell. Is he becoming the Pauley Schorr or CArrotTop of this millenium?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:00 pm
@farmerman,
I think I saw previews for that as well. Poor Steve.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
I find all these guys who are supposed to be funny, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell & like you said even Steve Corell are just going through the motions. Look at the rubbish they've churned out, two laughs per movie if you're lucky.
Yet funny enough it's the so called serious actors who are good for a laugh these days, George Clooney, Bruce Willis, John Malkovich. Two of the most amusing movies I've seen lately have had Clooney in them , "The men who stare at goats" with Clooney & Jeff Bridges, Funny. And "Burn after reading", I really enjoyed that, Clooney, Malkovich & even Brad Pitt was good in it.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDDNdb2HtEiGICLjD0KZYhL5fPBBK1RiIehMYpt2NSdJi5_c7YlA
plainoldme

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:17 pm
Just finished watching The 400 Blows. What a great movie. The young star was terrific. The script was poignant and moved one to pity. However, it was humorous at the same time. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:30 pm
@farmerman,
You should've ask farmerman. I would have saved you the time and anguish. It has some singular funny moments but as a whole its a stinker. It's ashame as its both leads Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell are talented and likable actors. It's not their fault that the film had fallen off the funny boat.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:32 pm
@plainoldme,
I'm not surprised plainoldme that that's the case but isn't that the nature of an actual chorus line? No one sticks out when they are together doing their collective thing on the stage?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:13 pm
I saw the documentaries about "Tesla" and Albono Santos DuMont in "Wings of Madness". These guys were incredible. It is basically DuMont, a rich Brazilian, whose design of the single engine airplane that is the model of the modern plane.
He is also the inventor if the dirigible.

I also saw the Asphalt Jungle, 'It's Always fair Weather' and 'Court Jester' with Danny Kaye.

It's Always Fair Weather cast: Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse, Dan Daily, Dolores Gray, Micahel Kidd.
Gene Kelly dancing on roller skates:

Cyd Charisse with the Boxers:

The three ex-GIs:
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Watched the documentary Every Little Step about the process of casting the 2006 revival rendition of the musical A Chorus Line.

I haven't seen the play on Broadway, but I loved, loved, loved this documentary!!! I watched it twice! Gonna watch again lol.
talk72000

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
I saw "Long Way Around" a documentary of Ewan McGregor (Star Wars 2nd trilogy) from London thru Russia to Alaska to New York. It was a real adventure similar to Motorcycle Diaries of Che Guevara as there was a real accident and dangerous river crossings. The whole crew was young so they took risks. They were lucky to be alive.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
Our daily Bread (Modern farms)

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@Irishk,
Have you heard any scandal regarding this documentary Irishk? Already two people from two separate forums (here and at IMDb) have mentioned that there was something fishy about how the filmmakers went around making it.

I can't seem to find any details. I would feel kind of betrayed if it turns out the filmmakers staged the audition process for the film.
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:53 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I thoroughly enjoyed "Burn AFter Reading", even Brad Pitt played that dufuss health club jock with an single digit IQ.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 06:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I want my hour and three quarters back.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 03:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Have you heard any scandal regarding this documentary Irishk?

No, but I probably wouldn't (here and cooking forums are about all I have time for these days). I can't imagine the auditions being anything but what we saw, though...that's so weird. Please post if you get more info.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Just finished watching The 400 Blows. What a great movie. The young star was terrific. The script was poignant and moved one to pity. However, it was humorous at the same time. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

François Truffaut made four other movies about Antoine Doinel, the protagonist in the film, and employed the actor, Jean-Pierre Léaud for all of the sequels. Léaud was in his thirties by the time of the last film, Love on the Run. They're all very good.

The other four movies are:
Antoine and Colette which was a part of the film anthology, Love at Twenty
Stolen Kisses
Bed and Board
and the aforementioned, Love on the Run
talk72000

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
The Story of Maths. Great BBC show

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:55 pm
I just watched Carnal Knowledge,which I remember seeing in the theatre. Who was I with? Hmmm? 1971. Good gawd. I was two years out of college. I might have been with that disaster I refuse to name. But, did I see the film with him?

Anyway, I liked it more the second time around than I did the first.

art Garfunkle was a capable actor. he should have pursued the craft as a career.

Jack Nicholson had a full head of hair.

The Bergen woman was without a wattle.