The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Irishk

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Just watched The Bridge on the River Kwai on VCR.

Outstanding film. We bought the 2-disc version with Disc 2 solely dedicated to the bonus features, including detailed background on many of the more famous scenes, such as the whistling/marching scene that opens the movie, and the controversial ending (along with many, many others inbetween). Includes an entire documentary on the building of the bridge; the difficulties and timeline, plus featurettes and detailed info on casting, and production stories (some quite amusing, but all made the movie just that much more interesting to watch).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:40 pm
Tried out Amazon on Demand for the first time.

I was quite impressed by the streaming quality.

Watched the hyper-cool action flick Kick-Ass. What a brilliant popcorn film. http://i42.tinypic.com/ohrbrr.jpg
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is the 1981 version any good? Have you seen it, have you seen either?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:42 pm
Been watching lot'sa VHS tapes lately:
Legends of the Fall w/Brad Pitt & Anthony Hopkins
An Officer and a Gentleman w/Richard Gere & Debra Winger
The Quiet Man w/John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara
Absolute Power w/Clint Eastwood & Gene Hackman
The Snows of Kilimanjaro Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward

Now watching Amistad, but difficult to get into the story.
talk72000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw Amistad a few months ago. Apparently it is a true story as it deals with real people like John Quincy Adams (Anthony Hopkins) and Martin Van Buren.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:11 am
@Caroline,
The acting in the 1981 is good, especially because it has legendary Laurence Olivier and Maggie Smith in the cast. It's iconic in it's 1980's stop motion animation which translates as really cheesy to look at but it's pretty fun to watch still.
talk72000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't notice Maggie Smith was in the movie. Embarrassed Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:25 am
@talk72000,
I think she plays the kraken (http://i45.tinypic.com/10fuhiq.jpg)... or maybe not.
talk72000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 11:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I have the DVD somewhere. I could check if I have the time. Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:39 pm
Suffered through the bad acting and horrible dialogue of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. Also one too many back stories done oh so cheesy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:16 am
@talk72000,
Maggie Smith played Thetis . . . who might have been among the earliest gods of archaic Greece, according to Wiki, because her name means to set up or establish.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:16 am
@plainoldme,
My kids loved this movie and probably watched it once a month for a long period of time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:17 am
This isn't a marathon I participated in, but Salon posted a slide show of movies about "honest work" to celebrate LAbor Day and I thought others here might be interested:

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/film_salon/2010/09/03/work_movies/slideshow.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:20 am
@talk72000,
Amistad turned out to be a very good movie, once I got into it. Morgan Freeman plays an excellent role as a freeman, while those slaves and slave owners want to usurp our countries laws until it goes to the supreme court for it to be settled. The slaves win their freedom.
talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 03:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just saw Stagecoach and Evita. Stagecoach transformed John Wayne into a movie star as previous to this movie he was in B movies with so so box office success. In it he plays a ex-convict the 'Ringo Kid' who romances a town hall (saloon) girl. Evita had Antonio Banderas and Madonna.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:46 pm
THE EXPENDABLES - absolutely loved this movie, good old fashioned blowing things up kinda movie, mind you I love anything that Jason Statham is in....

http://www.theexpendablesmovie.net/images/images/thumbs/expendables24.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:46 pm
Just finished watching a touching and heartbreaking film on loneliness and friendship, the Australian animated film, Mary & Max:
http://www.maryandmax.com

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 06:33 pm
I watched Joy Luck Club last night before counting my zzz's. It was probably my third time watching this movie, but having lost remembering many of the scenes from the movie, it was a pleasure to watch again. It still built up knots in my throat when the sisters meet in Shanghai.
Irishk

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I read the book years ago and loved it. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll rent it on your recommendation.

We watched John Rabe tonight. An award winning German film about the man who saved more than 200,000 Chinese during the 1937 invasion of Nanking.

Quote:
Florian Gallenberger directs this gripping drama about John Rabe (Ulrich Tukur), a German businessman living in Nanking, China, who in 1937 used his Nazi party affiliation to save some 200,000 Chinese civilians from slaughter at the hands of the Japanese army. As Rabe labors to establish an official safety zone to shelter the innocent, he forms an unlikely friendship with an American doctor (Steve Buscemi). Anne Consigny and Daniel Brühl co-star.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:19 pm
@Irishk,
Irish, Do you remember Schindler's List about the German who helped rescue Jews during the war? There was also a Japanese diplomat, C Sugihara, who saved thousands of Jews by giving them VISAs. He was fired by the foreign service when he returned to Japan, but not many people know of him. I had hoped somebody would make a movie of him, but none was ever made to tell his story.