The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Irishk

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
John Rabe reminded us of Schindler's List, story-wise. Rabe was also ill-favored by members of his party upon his return to Germany in the late 30's, although the film didn't depict any of that. He was accused of collaborating with the Chinese government and at the war's end, the Americans were reluctant to put him through their de-Nazification program. He apparently died broken and impoverished in 1950.

Haven't heard of Sugihara...I'll look him up!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:52 pm
@Irishk,
From Wiki:
Quote:
Chiune Sugihara (杉原 千畝, Sugihara Chiune?, 1 January 1900 – 31 July 1986) was a Japanese diplomat who served as Vice Consul for the Japanese Empire in Lithuania. During World War II, he helped several thousand Jews leave the country by issuing transit visas to Jewish refugees so that they could travel to Japan. Most of the Jews who escaped were refugees from German-occupied Poland or residents of Lithuania. Sugihara wrote travel visas that facilitated the escape of more than 6,000 Jewish refugees to Japanese territory, risking his career and his family's life. In 1985, Israel honored him as Righteous Among the Nations for his actions.
Irishk

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, c.i.! Great story...would make an excellent book!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:37 pm
Just finished watching an amazing Peabody award winning short film by the animator and director of My Dog Tulip, Paul Fierlinger, titled Still Life With Animated Dogs.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326217/

It's an autobiographical chronicle Fierlinger's several dogs which correspond with the stages of his life. His insight into dog/human interactions is astonishing. I wish the film was longer then 30 minutes.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/66691/pbs-indies-still-life-with-animated-dogs
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:46 pm
By the time I see just about any movie, everybody else has seen it and forgotten about it. Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 07:40 pm
Falling a little behind; night before last, I watched "Unforgiven" with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, and Richard Harris. Clint won some Academy Awards for this film. Last night, I watched "Batman" with Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, and Jack Palance.

Both were good movies.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Really been watching VHS movies every day for awhile. Three days ago, I watched "A Few Good Men" with Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Demi Moore.
Two nights ago, it was that old classic, "An Affair T%o Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. Last night was "Murphy's Romance" with Sally Field and James Garner.

I'll have to look at my library to see what I'll be watching tonight.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
I really liked Murphy's Romance. James Garner has been a fav of mine since his Maverick days. He and Sally were cute together. However, May-December romances are better in books and on the screen than in real life.

I also liked the May-December romance in Crazy Heart.
eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:07 am
@plainoldme,
I love Murphy's Romance also. It's on my list of top 50, if not top 25 favorite movies of all time. Looking forward to Crazy Heart. Adore Jeff Bridges, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is a wonderful actor. I've been impressed with her for years.

I watched Unfaithful the other night with Diane Lane and Richard Gere. Hadn't seen it since it's release some years ago now. I like the look and style of Adrian Lyne films. Never understood the big whoo about Lane's performance, tho. I think she was at least nominated for the Oscar. She may have even won it. But I didn't see anything more than just a competent performance. It was a bit amusing to see Gere in such a non-studly role. Gotta applaud him for stepping out of his comfort zone.

I think it's kind of a bold film and explores interesting territory but it's not a must-have in my movie library.

0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:25 am
I saw 4 Lions which was quite funny.

And Whip It which I LOVED. Very cool chick flick.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:21 pm
Harry Brown
Quote:
When a crew of drug-dealing gang members takes the life of his only friend, Leonard (David Bradley), retired Marine and widower Harry Brown (Michael Caine) decides to take the law into his own hands -- but his old-school training might be overmatched. Helmed by first-time feature director Daniel Barber, this gritty vigilante thriller set in England also stars Emily Mortimer, Iain Glen, Jack O'Connell, Ben Drew, Joseph Gilgun and Liam Cunningham.

Brilliant performance by Michael Caine, as per usual.

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:59 pm
@Irishk,
I want to see this. I'll watch anything with Michael Caine. (I'm almost certain I've said that already)
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:55 am
@eoe,
Eoe, have you see Zee & Co. with Michael Caine & Elizabeth Taylor?
eoe

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 02:54 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
No, I haven't but will look for it. I see it was called X, Y and Zee in it's US release.
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm
I saw a dvd called 'The Human Spark' hosted by Alan Alda. It was interesting in that DNA-wise only 1% seperates humans from chimpanzees but cognitive tests done with todlers and chimpanzees show the great diffrence in mental abilities. Apparently there were many cimate changes in Africa after the hominids that left Africa towards Central Asia and Europe to become the Neanderthals but they were meat eaters and successful and never saw the need to change. They survived for 400 thousand years. The hominids in Africa had to put up with many climate changes and the smarter ones survived adapting to local conditions as they fled the drier areas to sea coasts and began fishing. A group left Africa and eventually to Central Asia and Europe. Their hunting and fishing skills eventually drove the Neanderthals to extinction. However, there is talk that there may have been some gene exchange not covered in the dvd. The same scientist in the Max Planck Institute is the one that came up with the controversial claim after studying the genomes of humans and Neanderthals.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:54 am
∆ A delta because I am consciously changing the course here.

I am trying to remember the name of a French film set in the past, probably the late 17th C., about a monster (possibly a werewolf or loup-garou) that is ravaging the countryside, killing people. I remember the film as well acted and exciting with a handsome leading man (of course, I would remember that part!)

I tried googling it but came up with strange things . . . like lists of Nicholas Cage's wives and a biography of Bruce Campbell!
firefly

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 02:13 pm
@eoe,
I love Michael Caine in anything, but particularly comedies.

My favorite is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but he and Maggie Smith were a wonderful pairing in California Suite.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 05:10 am
@plainoldme,
The French film I was trying to remember is called Brotherhood of the Wolf. I saw it in the theatre and highly recommend it.

eoe -- I think you'll love Crazy HEart. I saw it with some friends, one who's a professional musician and the other who's a music freak. We all loved it. We were rooting for Jeff to win the Academy Award, although we did like . . . forgot his name, he played Mr. Darcy . . . in A Single Man. The difference was that the character Jeff played was more dynamic, changing from a wastrel to a man in control of his life. We went on a Jeff retrospective. He's always been a very good actor and his world weary singing voice (so nice to see an actor who can play guitar portray a musician without those coy cutaways!) is perfect for the role of Bad Blake.

I also so Harry Brown, which I enjoyed but which I thought was a Clint Eastwood film starring Michael Caine. However, like you, I would probably watch Michael Caine read the phone book.

talk 7200 -- Alan Alda's anthropology series is very good.
talk72000

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 06:50 pm
@plainoldme,
I didn't see all of the series only the Human Spark which was excellent.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 07:17 am
@eoe,
Yeah that's the one. It's a great film . He's v good in it and Elizabeth Taylor is hilarious and a total bitch. Reckon you will like it.
0 Replies