The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
We watched The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo on Netflix streaming. If you like a good thriller/mystery type film, you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and rebellious computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) team up to investigate the unsolved disappearance of wealthy Henrik Vanger's (Sven-Bertil Taube) teen niece (Ewa Fröling), only to uncover dark secrets about Vanger's powerful family. Niels Arden Oplev directs this Swedish thriller based on the first novel from Stieg Larsson's best-selling trilogy.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:06 pm
@djjd62,
i always loved The Thin Man movies.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:10 pm
Just finished watching Branaugh's Henry V. This is truly a great cast: Brian Blessed, Judi Dench, Richard Briers, Christian Bale, Michael Maloney, Paul Scofield, Ian Holm, Geraldine McEwen, Derek Jacobi, Robbie Coltrane and Emma Thompson. It is also a great movie, in fact, I would probably put in the top 25 of my all time favs.

Branaugh was so young, 27, when he did it and, unfortunately, it is his best work on film.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:16 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
william powell however, was certainly not overweight

Probably because Dashiell Hammett had him and Nora drinking Martinis all day...if you read the book.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 09:30 am
Sweetgrass. This link is to the New York Times review of this wonderful and unique documentary.

As much a work of cultural anthropology as it is a documentary, this unique film traces the path of a family of Montana sheepherders as they drive their flock down from the treacherous and beautiful Absaroka Beartooth mountain range. With no guiding narration, filmmakers Ilisa Barbash and Lucien Castaing-Taylor let the natural images speak for themselves, capturing the danger, pathos and humor in this haunting elegy to a bygone way of life.

No narration, just a story brought to us through exquisite photography and often static scenes, such as one of a flock of sheep standing perfectly still, not one moving, and the camera doesn't move either. This is the story of the last move of a flock to summer pasture in the Absaroka-Beartooth mountains of Montana in the early 2000s; one of the title cards at the film's end tells us the family has not taken its flock on this journey since.

We begin at the family's ranch, where sheep are expertly sheared in a fascinating assembly-line manner that shows how adept and quick these men are while doing a backbreaking, relentless chore. Next is birthing and the task of finding ewes who will accept orphan lambs; one lamb is even put in a fresh lambskin - it looks much like a human baby's footed pajamas - to deceive a ewe into believing it's hers. The herd is driven through town, over rocks and into vales, until it has reached the area of sweetgrass which will feed the sheep through summer.

The two cowboys who drive the herd are young John Ahern and veteran Pat Connolly (who looks as weatherbeaten and leathery as any actor in a Western movie). They banter, coax and swear at the herd, put up with bears, get tired of their work and next moment are thankful to be in nature's paradise.

It's a film about hard work, tremendous beauty, and refreshing distance from the screaming intrusion of technology (in fact, the cowboys use poor-quality walkie-talkies for contact when they're at opposite ends of the herd, very rarely getting cell phone reception strong enough to call the ranch). This is a timeless story that will appeal to a rather small viewing audience.

ETA: This might not be suitable for very young children as the cowboys do let loose with som colorful language. They cuss at the sheep, the sheepdogs, their horses and each other pretty much.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:32 am
The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky. My son is a big fan of Aronofsky and had watched part of the movie in the small hours before falling asleep. It is murky and dark with the stars, Rachel Weiss and Hugh Jackman, playing three couples over 1,000 years of time. I thought they were continually reincarnated but, after reading about the film, it seems that they are parallel stories.

Affecting and worth seeing. Weiss and JAckman were very good in their many roles.
Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:50 am
@plainoldme,
We've watched The Fountain a couple of times...very much enjoyed it!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@plainoldme,
I'm waiting for the much rumored director's cut of The Fountain. Soon after the release, Darren Aronofsky had mentioned that the final release wasn't his idea but the product of what the studio made him change the film into.

Apparently the studio's final project had muddled and made the film far more confusing then it's supposed to be. His longer cut was supposed to be more epic and more coherent to the audience.

I particularly liked the released film as an epic cinematic contusion of sorts but I would like to see if I could actually understand much of the film with his possible director's cut. I watched most of the film in terms of just following along with the story as if it was some kind of amusement park ride. Not understanding much of what was going on but enjoying the ride nevertheless.
Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Not understanding much of what was going on but enjoying the ride nevertheless.

Exactly!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:07 pm
Finished watching the very funny/uberdepressing documentary The Yes Men Fix the World (2009). If only these muckraking documentaries actually helped fix the world....

Earlier I finished watched Futurama: Bender's Big Score. Okay but welcomed return for the delivery crew from the future.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:18 pm
The three of us (me, Mr.Irish and our dog, Jack) watched My Dog: An Unconditional Love Story via Netflix streaming last week. It's a charming, short (50 minutes) documentary guaranteed to make you smile.

Quote:
Famous New Yorkers and the pooches they love are the focus of this refreshingly honest and endearing series of interviews that celebrates the meaningful connections people share with their pups. Gossip columnist Cindy Adams, playwright Edward Albee, designer Isaac Mizrahi, and actors Glenn Close, Edie Falco and Richard Gere are among the many celebs who pay tribute to their beloved canine companions.

Lynn Redgrave, Richard Belzer, Lasse Hallström, Greg Louganis, Ron Livingston, Carey Lowell, Christopher Meloni, Danny Shire, David Shire, and Livingston Taylor also share humorous/touching moments with their furbabies.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:18 am
@farmerman,
I love Black Robe. It's one of my favorites.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:21 am
Clash of the Titans. Good film.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:39 pm
@Caroline,
Which version of Clash of the Titans? The 1981 or the 2010 version?
aidan

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
Ali G - In Da House .
I loved it- but you have to be an Ali G fan and have the associated silly sense of humor.
Ali G is elected to Parliament and he campaigns for the current Prime Minister. One of his campaign promises is to a gathered group of feminists and he offends all of them by telling them that he knows they'll all be happy to hear that if he's elected he'll pressure the powers that be to lower the VAT tax on strap-ons.
If you don't find that funny - you probably wouldn't like this movie.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:20 am
@tsarstepan,
The 2010 version.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:50 am
Just watched The Bridge on the River Kwai on VCR. Surprised that the quality of the movie was pretty decent after all these years, because I had always thought these things degraded.

William Holden and Alec Guinness gave an outstanding performance as did Sessue Hayakawa and Jack Hawkins.

What I find interesting is the simple fact that although I can remember some details of the movie such has the exposure of the wires, I didn't remember how William Holden was recruited by the Brits to go back.

The movie won 7 Academy Awards in 1957.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Videotapes generally degrade only if you constantly/repeatedly rewatch them or if they're poorly stored in storage areas where the tapes are afflicted with extreme temperature changes.

After watching a video cassette a certain amount of times then you have to finagle the VCR's tracking settings. Soon scratches and visual artifacts
djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
@tsarstepan,
going away for a week or so, loaded up the ipod touch with some animation

Karas - The Prophecy and The Revelation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karas_(anime)

Paprika http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_(2006_film)

Steamboy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboy

Tekkonkinkreet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekkon_Kinkreet

Tokyo Godfathers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Godfathers

Voices of a Distant Star http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star

5 Centimeters Per Second http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Centimeters_Per_Second
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:33 am
@djjd62,
Makoto Shinkai has come to produce some of the most beautiful cinematographic images that have ever hit the big screen.

I only wish he could be ever so slightly more ... prolific. It also breaks my heart when I'm watching his films and they end so soon.

0 Replies