The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

aidan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 02:22 am
I watched 'Remember Me' with that young Pattinson guy from the Twilight Series. I'm familiar with him as I go to see the Twilight films with my daughter (let's just say I do my motherly duty- and for this one - actually sitting through the twilight series with nary a negative comment- I deserve a medal).

But this movie was good! And Rob Pattison or whatever his name is was wonderful in it - so much better than when he plays Edward the Beneficent Vampire.

There were some very funny lines. After having numerous girls sleep over and needing extra toothbrushes the roommate suggests the invention of the S.L.U.T.-Single lady's Universal Tote which would include toothbrush, phone charger, tylenol, etc.

And then when they get arrested because one guy decides to enter an altercation and the other has to back him up and almost gets killed the guy says, 'Look - don't do that again - I want to get married and divorced at least once - I want the opportunity to experience erectile dysfunction and am looking forward to at least one mid-life stalking event'.

Anyway - it was really, really interesting, fun to watch and affecting. The acting is wonderful - especially Rob as Tyler, the little girl who plays little sister Caroline and I really like Pierce Brosnan in his role as the distant dad.
I loved the family interaction.

And speaking of spoilers - there's a giant one in this one. It took my breath away and made me cry. And I never saw it coming.
Irishk

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 08:43 am
@aidan,
I just sent Remember Me to my sister (she's recovering from surgery and bedridden for a while) with a note..."do not fall asleep before the end and make sure you have a box of tissues nearby" LOL!

Like you, I didn't see that coming at all!
aidan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 08:49 am
@Irishk,
I might have to watch that one again-I liked it that much.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 09:38 am
@aidan,
I, too, had to sit through some films my kids wanted to see. I gave your post a thumbs up as I couldn't give you a medal.
aidan

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 03:17 pm
@plainoldme,
Thanks POM - if you'd seen any of the Twilight series, you'd know I deserve it. They're pretty abysmal.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 03:32 pm
@aidan,
ANY BODY say anything about "Kickass". I picked it up at a redbox. I didnt know whether to laugh or cry. It was really good , but was dark at the same time. NOT FOR KIDS, unless you want to raise some Bernie Getz vigilante or have a serial killer in training.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 03:42 pm
The last movie we saw was "I AM Love." Italian film with sub-titles. Very strange, odd story, but sooooo well done.
Irishk

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
ANY BODY say anything about "Kickass". I picked it up at a redbox. I didnt know whether to laugh or cry. It was really good , but was dark at the same time. NOT FOR KIDS, unless you want to raise some Bernie Getz vigilante or have a serial killer in training.

I pre-order a lot of new releases from Amazon and received Kick-Ass last week. I thought it was a comedy when I ordered it LOL. Haven't watched it yet, so thanks for the review.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:36 pm
@aidan,
I made it through the first 20 minutes of the first Twilight movie before I hit the eject button. You're a saint to get all the way to the end with your kids Smile I'll bet your mind was wandering, though LOL.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:39 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
The last movie we saw was "I AM Love." Italian film with sub-titles. Very strange, odd story, but sooooo well done.

I've seen some girls about wearing "I AM Love" tshirts. At first I thought it said "I am IN love" LOL. Weird.
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:48 pm
@plainoldme,
Neil Gaiman tackled Shakespeare in his Sandman comic series

A Midsummer Night's Dream

This is a core issue of the Sandman series, sometimes cited as the best in the series. It concerns the premiere of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, which we are told was commissioned by Morpheus as part of a bargain in which Morpheus granted Shakespeare his extraordinary skill with writing. Performed on a hillside before an audience of bizarre creatures from Faerie - including the very characters who appear in the play, Titania, Auberon, and the hobgoblin Robin Goodfellow (Puck) amongst them - the Sandman's version of reality and Shakespeare's play are merged and interact with one another.

The issue received a World Fantasy Award for short fiction in 1991, which caused an outcry of indignation amongst people who felt that a comic book should not have won the award.

Dream first meets Shakespeare in Sandman #13, "Men of Good Fortune," and the final issue, #75, "The Tempest," focuses on the second of the two plays commissioned by Morpheus.

The Tempest

"The Tempest" is a companion piece to "A Midsummer Night's Dream", from the third collection, Dream Country. "The Tempest" is more reflective than "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and features less of the original play, though it echoes it cleverly in several ways and sequences. It is principally about Gaiman's Morpheus and his issues with himself and his place in things. Here we see in detail the Morpheus only briefly fleshed in former issues - the vulnerable, emotional, confused Dream King. Gaiman uses "The Tempest", a play fundamentally about change, endings, and new beginnings, to finish the series.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:07 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks so much for that explanation of Neil Gaiman's work. My older son is a huge fan and talks about having read this or that by Gaiman but doesn't usually go into detail.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 05:35 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Pemerson wrote:

I've seen some girls about wearing "I AM Love" tshirts. At first I thought it said "I am IN love" LOL. Weird.

I can't believe that the movie "I Am Love" would be represented on a tee shirt. It just opened last week. But, Italy is beautiful, the family toooo rich, the mother falls in love with her son's best friend and they have explosive sex, sometimes in a cave of sorts.
Irishk

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:44 pm
@Pemerson,
Oops. It turns out the t-shirt actually said "I'm Love" and not "I AM Love". I finally tracked it down since I really wanted one LOL. It's for Mary J. Blige's charity for women. This is Catherine Malandrino wearing it. She collaborated with Mary J. in the design. Maybe I'll wear it when I go see the movie Smile

http://www.imnotobsessed.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_pic/images/mary_j_blige_tshirt_5_wenn2744463.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 01:14 am
Atonement. It was devastating.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:16 am
Watched Bruce Willis act most everyone else into a corner in the half way decent science fiction film Surrogate. His performance in this throwaway popcorn flick was very well done. It's a shame that most of the rest of the cast of nobodies were pulled out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue rather then an acting school because they're emotional and acting range was as stiff as a mannequin these super-model modeled surrogates were modeled after.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
finally started watching my dvd box set of thin man movies, good stuff, the first movie has all the trailers and cast bios as extras, but the other five each have a short feature and a cartoon, just like you would have got in theatre of the time
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
@djjd62,
So why do you own a set of Lifetime television movies on a series of films based on the life of one particular anorexic gentleman? Rolling Eyes
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:20 am
@tsarstepan,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51y3xyXQXtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it's funny, the thin man in the original title, refers to a body found in a grave along with the clothes of a fatter man, in an attempt to throw off the detectives

for some reason the rest of the films got tagged with some variation of the thin man even though it has no bearing on the content

william powell however, was certainly not overweight
plainoldme

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:34 am
Olivier's Henry V. Ugh! Gag! Sad Mad Rolling Eyes

I watched Oliver's not long after seeing the brilliant version done by the then 27 year old Kenneth Branaugh, but, that was 21 years ago! I thought then that Olivier's version paled in comparison with Branaugh's. Looking back, I only remembered the courtship scenes in Olivier's and my reaction to the movie (that Sir Larry saw himself as the handsome prince) but little of the movie itself whereas much of Branaugh's film remains in my memory and I have yet to revisit it.

Frankly, while Olivier was somewhat naturalistic, the rest of the male cast was so Garrick, so 19th C!

And, yes, I tried to keep in mind that "The Old Man" wanted Olivier to do this film as a propaganda/morale boosting piece.

I did like the way Olivier established a metafiction and I was impressed by how much useable film he shot, which is supposed to have been remarkable for a first time director.
0 Replies