The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:43 am
@farmerman,
It was a good, if not extremely dark, film. I just caught "The Bank Job" again on Showtime and it's a really good caper flick.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

SAW Eastern PRomises, with Vigo Morgensen last night. A sort of Sopranos in Cyrillic.

Is that the one with that wild and naked knife fight in the steam room???
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@eoe,
Yep. That's the one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 10:52 am
@barrythemod,
I watched Flushed Away, by far the worst Aardman animated movie I've seen so far. They were trying too hard to be a Dreamworks/Hollywood "all things for all ages animated" release. It had its moments but still I could barely muster a 6/10 rating for it.

Then I had a blast watching the horrible teenie bopper crazed film Twilight. You have to watch it while accompanied with the Rifftrax (the former writers and voices of MST3K!) audio commentary running simultaneously. http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/twilight

You can also watch a sample of the ensuing hilarity. Bon appetit!
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I will only listen to the real MST3K guys like Joel and Crow. I listened to a riff done by some rookies and it was not even closely entertaining.
Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:20 pm
Just watched on DVD,Coraline,a stop-motion film,directed by Henry Selick,who also did The Nightmare Before Christmas(1993) with Tim Burton's "help".
This is a lot less darker but still has a pinch of that Burton magic that must have been absorbed by Selick.
Our young heroine Coraline moves,with her Mom and Dad,to a new house but is bored,until she finds a secret door and discovers an alternate,better version of her life on the other side,but this seemingly perfect world turns dangerous and Coraline,along with the help of a scraggy cat,must use her resourcefulness,determination and bravery to save her family.
Mine was the 2 DVD set,containing a 3D version which must be avoided as it's a red and green cardboard specs version which,for me,has never worked properly,compared to the latest Disney 3D stuff e.g. Bolt.The 2D version is sharp and crisp.Recommended for kids of all ages.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:38 pm
@Barry The Mod,
I love this movie. You're right. The 3D (at least on the DVD) is not that noteworthy. However, seeing it in 3D at the theaters? Now that was mindblowing. The depth and level of details had me trying to look around the doors even. Wink

So far, its my favorite film I've seen this year in the theaters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 10:11 pm
I know nobody cares that I watched a Ronald Reagan western tonight. Thing is, though, when I started the DVD, a notice came on the screen that the movie was beyond the child protective level, and it locked me out. It took me five minutes to figure out how to play it. If it had been anything at all other than Reagan, it might have made more sense.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Watched "The RApe of Europa" last night. Its a longish BBC show on the "Sonderauftrag Linz", in which Nazis were stealing art and antiquitis ferom all over Europe in order to hang and display in NAzi museums and personal collections.

It was ok but, like anything of this nature, there are huge gaps of information that would make it less "showable"

Also, rented "Tracker", It was only OK, too much outback scrubland and not incorporated into the story line enough. By the time we learn the focus of the story, its lost an opportunity to be more entertaining.

Wes Craven coulda done a better job

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:47 am
@farmerman,
Then a nice follow-up, whether you've ever seen it or not, is Burt Lancaster in 1964's "The Train:"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Think I'll avoid "The Tracker" unless, of course, it turns up on HBO or Showtime and there's time to watch it. Appears like I would maybe loose interest and stop watching it if it wasn't going anywhere.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:17 am
@Lightwizard,
The RApe of Europa was a long documentary.

Id like to see one about HAn van Meegeren and the NAzis he bilked , and the trouble he got in because the Nuremburg Commission thought that he was selling Netherlands art treasures (Vermeers that he faked) to the NAzis/
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:24 am
@farmerman,
You have to pick and choose which ones to listen to. The original members are still working there at rifftrax but they apparently don't do every rifftrax commentary. And your right. Some of the rookies shouldn't even bother with the whole exercise. Or at least they should practice and edit out the lame jokes before hand before actually recording their riffing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I know nobody cares that I watched a Ronald Reagan western tonight. Thing is, though, when I started the DVD, a notice came on the screen that the movie was beyond the child protective level, and it locked me out. It took me five minutes to figure out how to play it. If it had been anything at all other than Reagan, it might have made more sense.

What kind of rating would an old black and white Regan have that would have done that? I would have assumed that it would have been unrated considering the MPAA didn't start the rating system until 1968.

Quote:
On November 1, 1968, NATO, MPAA and IFIDA announced the birth of the new voluntary film rating system of the motion picture industry.

http://www.mpaa.org/ratings_history1.asp

Are you sure you DVD player wasn't temporarily possessed by the spirit of Nikita Khrushchev?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:37 am
@farmerman,
so FM you ever get around to watching "The Gray Fox"?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
Barry the Mod inspired me to rewatch Nightmare Before Christmas...

I just can't wait for the special rerelease of Nightmare Before Christmas but in digital 3D: October 23, 2009! I hope you guys can get a chance to see it to as I believe its going into a limited theatrical release.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
@farmerman,
I believe he was only briefly covered in NOVA's documentary several years ago about art forgery. It's seems to have inspired some films, including Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn in the comedy caper flick "How to Steal a Million."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:05 am
@dyslexia,
I have that movie on my Netflix Que and they keep saying that theres a LOOOOONG WAIT. I wanna see it so bad . I love good westerns.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:06 am
@tsarstepan,
It's really up to the distribution company if they encode a video with any kind of protection, including copy blocking, so it doesn't matter when the original movie was released. It's the same kind of corporate committee that, say, works for an appliance company and decides what the settings will be named on their blenders.

Then again, it could be the "Khruschev Block."
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:15 am
Over the years, Mr. P. has bought or copied VHS tapes. In the last few years, we have bought many DVDs to the point where we must have literally thousands of films.

We also have a subscription to Blockbuster. No matter what I pick, Mr. P. will object to the movie. The problem is, that we have seen just about all the films that have won awards, or have otherwise stood out from the rest of the pack.

So lately, I have been picking some of the more arcane foreign flicks. Even THAT he finds objectionable, as he complains that looking at the subtitles puts him to sleep. Rolling Eyes I absolutely refuse to sit still for two hours of a 1 1/2 star "bug eyed monster" movie, a genre which he favors.

Anyhow, last night, he suggested that we check our "library" of films, and found, "The Pelican Brief", with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington. Although not one of the greats by a long shot, it was an enjoyable mystery, and neither of us fell asleep.

And that is saying volumes!!! Laughing
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:20 am
@Lightwizard,
I thought someone might have activated the parental controls on the DVD player... but its a case of DRM issue... that makes sense.