The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:33 am
@tsarstepan,
It could be the configuration settings on the player! If it's a SONY, there's a "HOME" button, when exploring the choices one can turn the Parental Control on or off.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
Its ashame that Jean Luc Godard didn't do a Godzilla movie! It seemingly could be the best of both worlds in your case...

... Godzilla le fou anyone?

Or François Truffaut's Le Mummie qui aimait les femmes?

Or Louis Malles' Au revoir les enfants de Mothra? Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:30 pm
@Lightwizard,
I went to the tv control and it asked for a log in #. Didn't know where the wife stored the literature that came with the tv and didn't know from log numbers. So I shut the player off and restarted it. When the parental control box popped up, this time I clicked the play button on the remote and the movie then started. Just a fluke, I guess.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, that's not anything in the configurations. Looks like it's in the no parental control state and it's more likely the TV display than the player. Not all players have parental blocks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:22 am
"Running With Scissors" from the bio based book by Augusten Burroughs -- it was supposed to be a dramady with a close resemblance to the fiction novels of John Irving. Annette Benning basically saves the film from the doldrums of focusing more on the sometimes hammy melodrama and less on the nutty comedy. The dialogue goes from profound to banal lines from a bad TV sitcom. Entertaining enough (film buffs will appreciate the aspect of "what not to do" in film making) but not due a second watch.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 09:17 am
@Lightwizard,
Rembrandt's J'Accuse, a sort of forensic docu-drama re the hidden knowledge that Rembrandt portrayed in his "Night Watch".

Im a sucker for anything about artists and paintings but this wasnt one that Id reccomend for anything to watch after a big meal.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Rembrandt's J'Accuse, a sort of forensic docu-drama re the hidden knowledge that Rembrandt portrayed in his "Night Watch".

I tried to look it up to see if the NYPL has a copy. What other information do you have on it because I can't seem to find anything on a search of Rembrandt's J'Accuse....

My favorite form of documentaries are of the art history subgenre.
eoe

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:34 pm
@Lightwizard,
Annette Bening is reeeeally good at playing neurotic (being very PR here) characters. I can still see her slapping herself around in the car in "American Beauty". That scene has stuck with me. It sent chills down my spine.

I watched "Lover Come Back" yesterday with Doris & Rock. Still fun, especially the old Southerner whose account they were trying to land in the beginning of the story, but not quite as smart, in my opinion, as "Pillow Talk".
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:42 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Annette Bening is reeeeally good at playing neurotic (being very PR here) characters.

Do you perchance mean (being very PC here)? As in political correct?
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:54 pm
the boondock saints

great film
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:48 pm
Wanna make a film?Marc Price did and all he had was a couple of ordinary camcorders,£50 (which he spent on tea and biscuits for cast and crew),an original story and a lot of friends to help him out.The result was Colin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278322/ ,a zombie film from a zombie's perspective.
"Colin is bitten by a zombie;he dies and returns as one of the undead.We follow him as he wanders through suburbia during the throes of a cadaverous apocalypse.Through his encounters with objects,places and people,we learn who Colin was."
Watch out Romero,you ain't the only one who can make a great zombie film!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
yes.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:43 am
- Blue Movie (1971), at the time of its release the most controversial and talked about Dutch film ever, because of its full frontal (male) nudity and sex scenes. It proposed to celebrate the sexual revolution, but when seen now, as a curiosity, it is rather awkward and has a weak story.
aidan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:08 am
@Paaskynen,
Last night I watched 'No Country for Old Men'. I really liked it, thought the acting was superbly understated or superb and understated - everyone except Woody Harrelson. But I must have missed something - I did get up to go get a drink of water so I'm wondering how the wife got the money, which I thought it was implied by the ending that she did. Does anyone know?

Javier Bardem - amazing- what a great weirdo he makes - that face- you can't beat it.
Josh Brolin - excellent!
Tommy Lee Jones - I always forget how much I love him - he's a national treatsure.

Anyway - a little violent, but totally engrossing and enjoyable. Well -shot too.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Maybe it was just called J'Accuse. with Rembrandt on a subtitle. we got it through Netflix.

Last night we watched UP. Ive gotta say that this was the best animated movie I have ever seen. I hate Anime because it looks like pop art too much and the story lines are very "Oriental naive". (sorry if Im appearing ethnocentric) . ANyway, UP is an animated film that adults will get a kick from. The marketing is very smart. Weve gotten to the level (IMHO) where we get these DVD that have "extra features " about editorial commentary or outtakes, or how the movie was made, or other related info. In UP, you only get some trailers and the movie. If you want the features or Blu Ray, youve gotta get another set of discs. (Thatll cost ya).

There is a good blending of CGI, matte painting, and actual photography used in the movie production so the characters have actual dimension that surpasses the next level of CGI (Wallace and Grommit).

If you dont like this movie, youve lost your childlike imagination and the ability to be really drawn in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 09:52 am
This was a DVD I bought at a garage sale. Looks to be a TV mini series. Based on Gore Vidal's book: Lincoln. The first installment was engrossing. I plan to watch the next today. I forget the actor who plays Abe. Mary Tyler Moore does a very good Mrs Lincoln.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:08 am
We watched "Milk" - Sean Penn was great as Harvey Milk. I also thought it
was quite educational for my 14 year old (despite being rated "R") to see how
prejudiced people were towards homosexuals in those days, and - sadly, are still today.
eoe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 10:50 am
Dreamgirls in HD. Still just okay.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:08 pm
Just watched "Fearless" with Jeff Bridges and Rosie Perez. Intense.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:10 pm
Just watched "Fearless" with Jeff Bridges and Rosie Perez. Intense.
0 Replies