The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 07:19 am
@Sturgis,
remember its streaming through Netflix. Our subscription covers a bunch of distribution methods. We still get some as CDs hre their library is almost infinite
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 04:56 pm
Jakob the Liar

1999 movie starring Robin Williams about Jews in a Polish ghetto during World War II. It's a comedy that ends in tragedy, but has an alternative happy ending. Jakob inadvertently hears a radio broadcast that the Russians are close to liberating Poland. The other Jews mistakenly believe he has an illegal radio and depend on him for news broadcasts and hope of liberation. It's a comedy of errors that ends in hopeless tragedy, but the alternative ending displaces the horror.

The incredible writing, directing and acting make this film an amazing work that could have easily gone awry.

It's available on free Pluto streaming.

There is a scene where Jakob, the Robin Williams character, is waterboarded. And I thought, "So the Nazis waterboarded people too".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:49 am
I just saw "My Cousin Vinny" for the second time in as many weeks. I found it so funny, and just what I needed to lighten the mood.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:04 am
@Phoenix32890,
OHHW MOI GAWD. ITS A F******G NOIT MAYAH. I think that was Fred Gwynnes last movie
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 09:31 pm
Watched Side Effects(2013)tonight with Rooney Mara and Jude Law
Twisted and evil from beginning to end.

Steven Soderbergh is a genius director. Pay particular attention to the soundtrack.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2020 12:21 pm
Saw Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler is totally believable as an compulsive gambler and crook with zero impulse control. Kevin Garnett is great as ... himself.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 05:23 pm
@snood,
I just watched a wonderful documentary on the art and history of bookselling.
The Booksellers (2019)

Good to know that small indie theaters also will profit from the virtual ticket. I chose the BAM Theater (Brooklyn Academy of Music).
Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2020 05:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
In light of the current North Korea situation and their leader, I finally got around to watching The Interview on Netflix today.

It has a few humorous moments, could use several more. However, for viewing on a wet, chill filled day it was acceptable.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 06:10 pm
Watched the new Netflix film Extraction. It stars Chris Helmsworth and produced by the Russo Brothers (directors of Avengers: Endgame).

Story is ok (mercenary is hired to find a kidnapped son of a drug lord in Bangladesh), but the action scenes are great. There is 10+ minute one shot scene involving a car chase and a firefight in an apartment building.
snood

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 06:35 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I saw Extraction. A+ action scenes. I would think that I’d be sort of jaded by now after all the recent movies whose main characters’ ( Bourne, John Wick, Jack Reacher, etc) claim to fame is violent combat scenes. But Extraction makes it’s mark - the pace and choreography of the battles; the ferocity - really entertaining mayhem.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 02:13 am
@snood,
I am so far behind in Movie watching.....I have no excuse, I have nothing but time, I'm sheltering in place, I need to make better use of all this down time.,
snood

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 05:07 am
@glitterbag,
That’s kinda funny. I mean, I get down on myself for watching too much entertainment media, and you’re getting down on yourself for not watching enough. 😆
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 02:45 pm
@snood,
I watched Pulp Fiction for the umpteenth time last week. Still enjoyed it. Funny that, because the "first" time I watched it, I just hit on bits and pieces over a long time...and thought it was a screwed up picture. Finally watched in in its entirely...and realized it played fast and loose with the time element.

I consider it a classic.
chai2

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 03:15 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

That’s kinda funny. I mean, I get down on myself for watching too much entertainment media, and you’re getting down on yourself for not watching enough. 😆

Yeah, I'm oddly like glitterbag.
I just get so busy with stuff that I look up and it's 6:30, and I then I have to do other stuff.
It's earliest 9:30p, sometimes as late as 11p that I can sit down and watch something.
chai2

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I watched Pulp Fiction for the umpteenth time last week. Still enjoyed it. Funny that, because the "first" time I watched it, I just hit on bits and pieces over a long time...and thought it was a screwed up picture. Finally watched in in its entirely...and realized it played fast and loose with the time element.

I consider it a classic.

Pulp Fiction is one of those rare Perfect Films.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I’m not a Tarentino fan or a Sam Jackson fan generally, but I enjoyed Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it and each of the 6 or 8 times I’ve watched it since then.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 03:11 am
Way back in 1992, when The Bodyguard with Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston came out, I didn’t go see it because the previews looked super contrived, badly acted, and way corny.

I just finally broke down and tried to watch it (maybe I was feeling a little schmaltzy sentimental remembering Whitney). After about 20 minutes I gave up. It was weak, contrived, badly acted and way, way corny.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:56 am
Just binge watched Ricky Gervais's Netflix show After Life. There's two seasons, twelve episodes in total each 25 min's long.
To be honest i loved it but found it a hard watch at times, very close to home. It's sad and funny, coarse yet poignant. Great soundtrack.
Some great characters Roxy the prostitute, Postman Pat, psycho psychiatrist and i love brandy the German Shepard.
One criticism the main character Tony is a bit over self obsessed.
Check it out.

snood

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 08:06 am
@eurocelticyankee,
What’s it about?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 08:10 am
@snood,
It's about 5 hours long.