226

The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

WaterBottle12

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 01:09 am
@chai2,
Me too. It's not that interesting. I remembered "The Happening" while watching it. And they both have a not satisfying ending.
..I also want to share the last movie I remember that I watched in VHS with the usual family movie nights was "TITANIC" the 1st original movie of it. I don't find it cool way back then since I'm young. It's just nowadays I appreciated it.

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 03:15 am
@WaterBottle12,
How about 'Birth of a Nation'?

snood

1  
Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 08:38 am
I resisted watching the movie Molly’s Game for so long, in part because I had some preconceived ideas about it that ended up being wrong. I didn’t want to sit through a story about how some entitled white b-word gets over on the establishment using her all-American wit and grit. Yee-hah. I also didn’t want to get a migraine trying to keep up with more Aaron Sorkin stream-of-consciousness-fast-yet-oh-so-deep-and-witty dialogue.

By the time I got through watching it, I had laughed out loud, teared up, and resolved myself to reading The Crucible (you’d understand if you see the movie). Jessica Chastain is great. Idris Elba is great. Even Kevin Costner.
Sorkin’s writing is great (especially impressed by Idris Elba’s impassioned monologue defending Chastain).

Good movie!

1  
Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 09:20 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

By the time I got through watching it, I had laughed out loud, teared up, and resolved myself to reading The Crucible (you’d understand if you see the movie).

I've seen the movie and had the opposite reaction to you. Plus The Crucible reference went over my head because if it's a character reference? I already forgot it.

I do agree with you regarding Idris Elba and Kevin Costner but was pretty disappointed in the flat delivery of Jessica Chastain, whom I really love in Zero Dark Thirty where she should have one that year.

I was really disappointed in the Sorkin script and how stupid Chastain's character was in her very simple decisions that placed her in the very obviously dangerous of situations.
Phoenix32890

3  
Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 07:32 am
I just turned off the latest "A Star is Born", after abut a half hour. So much NOISE! I really was interested in seeing how this film compared with the classic version, and boy, was I disappointed.

2  
Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 10:44 am
@Phoenix32890,
There are some interludes of incredibly boring scenes between a sandwiches of great acting and music. For a pretty traditional biopic style musical (though the characters are completely fictional... it's a biopic), it wasn't particularly challenging a film production to deserve direction and Cooper's Oscar nods. They weren't bad or mediocre just not award worthy.
fbaezer

1  
Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 10:53 pm
I agree with you, tsarstepan.
The film starts very well, but then becomes flat, and you don’t feel involved anymore.

1  
Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 12:18 pm
@fbaezer,
Watching Winds of War with Robert Mitchum on YouTube. While based at Walker AFB in New Mexico in the late 1950's, I belonged to the Roswell Little Theater, and we produced the Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk. Both are great stories.

dungsauhanhphuc

-1  
Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 09:10 pm
@barrythemod,
Thank you so much

Marestante

1  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:55 pm
@barrythemod,
Thomas Crown Affair. It was likely the fifth time I've seen this movie, but I can't get enough of the art crimes theme. The imagery related to Rene Magritte's painting 'Son of Man' (the man with the bowler hat and green apple) was masterful, and I loved the characters' assessment of Claude Monet's Haystacks. Very humorous. Also, that green goopy smoothie Rene Russo's character drank at the police station looked awful the first time I saw the movie, yet now it very much resembles my own breakfast.

javadth

-2  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 03:04 pm
@barrythemod,
troy 2004

1  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 03:31 pm
@javadth,
What did you enjoy about "Troy?"

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 04:09 pm
tsarstepan wrote:

SPOILER ALERT

All that Bloom had left after her indictment was her integrity much like John Proctor who chose death over besmerching his name with a false confession.

Lash

1  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 04:10 pm
There are a couple of scorching dark humor hit men drama/comedies I've been enjoying recently. My kid turned me on to both of these. The Patriot took me a minute to warm up to, but it ages VERY well. It's about a comically depressed NOC - whose family is also undercover.

He's torn between loyalty to his dad who got him the gig, and sanity.

It just continues to get more horrifying/hilarious. I think this is on Amazon Prime?

_______________________________
When I finished The Patriot, I started Barry on HBOGO. Bill Hader. Oddly, very similar plot line. He's not undercover, but a depressed former service member who was traveling to a hit, accidentally got involved in something he felt was uplifting, and is trapped between the two worlds. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but laughing, so good.