The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 07:32 am
I just turned off the latest "A Star is Born", after abut a half hour. So much NOISE! I really was interested in seeing how this film compared with the classic version, and boy, was I disappointed.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 10:44 am
@Phoenix32890,
There are some interludes of incredibly boring scenes between a sandwiches of great acting and music. For a pretty traditional biopic style musical (though the characters are completely fictional... it's a biopic), it wasn't particularly challenging a film production to deserve direction and Cooper's Oscar nods. They weren't bad or mediocre just not award worthy.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 10:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree with you, tsarstepan.
The film starts very well, but then becomes flat, and you don’t feel involved anymore.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 12:18 pm
@fbaezer,
Watching Winds of War with Robert Mitchum on YouTube. While based at Walker AFB in New Mexico in the late 1950's, I belonged to the Roswell Little Theater, and we produced the Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk. Both are great stories.
0 Replies

dungsauhanhphuc

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 09:10 pm
@barrythemod,
Thank you so much
0 Replies

Marestante

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:55 pm
@barrythemod,
Thomas Crown Affair. It was likely the fifth time I've seen this movie, but I can't get enough of the art crimes theme. The imagery related to Rene Magritte's painting 'Son of Man' (the man with the bowler hat and green apple) was masterful, and I loved the characters' assessment of Claude Monet's Haystacks. Very humorous. Also, that green goopy smoothie Rene Russo's character drank at the police station looked awful the first time I saw the movie, yet now it very much resembles my own breakfast.
0 Replies

javadth

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 03:04 pm
@barrythemod,
troy 2004
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 03:31 pm
@javadth,
What did you enjoy about "Troy?"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 04:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I've seen the movie and had the opposite reaction to you. Plus The Crucible reference went over my head because if it's a character reference? I already forgot it.

SPOILER ALERT

All that Bloom had left after her indictment was her integrity much like John Proctor who chose death over besmerching his name with a false confession.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 04:10 pm
There are a couple of scorching dark humor hit men drama/comedies I've been enjoying recently. My kid turned me on to both of these. The Patriot took me a minute to warm up to, but it ages VERY well. It's about a comically depressed NOC - whose family is also undercover.

He's torn between loyalty to his dad who got him the gig, and sanity.

It just continues to get more horrifying/hilarious. I think this is on Amazon Prime?

When I finished The Patriot, I started Barry on HBOGO. Bill Hader. Oddly, very similar plot line. He's not undercover, but a depressed former service member who was traveling to a hit, accidentally got involved in something he felt was uplifting, and is trapped between the two worlds. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but laughing, so good.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:31 pm
The Shining (Kubrick version of course).

The European cut of the movie too. Not the crappy version of the movie that the movie studios foist on the US.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2019 04:41 pm
Suffragette (2015) is currently running on Netflix (likely other spots as well).

I first became aware of the suffragette movement back in the 1970s when Masterpiece Theatre ran Shoulder To Shoulder on the PBS stations in the U.S.

This film, with Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter, Brendan Gleeson and others - including Meryl Streep as Emmeline Pankhurst, is well done and a vivid reminder of how women were held back (even more than they are now) and their struggle and fight for the right to vote and for equality.

Highly recommend this for everyone.
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 09:53 pm
@Sturgis,
We just finished watching "The Irishman", mobster movie based on real
events surrounding the last years of Jimmy Hoffa. Its one movie where atype of CGI was used as an effective artistic contribution to the movie.

Pacino, Deniro, Pesci, Romano, Keitel, all the way down .Even Stevie van Zandt.
It was a pretty good but longer style movie. Ot almost needed to be that long because it spans a lot of actual years where aging is part of the story.
snood

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:27 pm
@farmerman,
I just watched it, too. I don’t know, maybe the statute of limitations has expired on my ability to be impressed or entertained by another movie about “organized” murderers and thieves, even if they are played by great actors, have catchy nicknames and do all their dirt with panache.
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:36 pm
@snood,
Well, we all knew that the Titanic would sink or that Apollo 13 got home safely. I think the ability to tell the story in SCorcese's fashion adds relevance to the the movie's entertainment value and its timeline.

Remember another demographic is made up of young Americans two generations of whom dont even know who Jimmy Hoffa was.
snood

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:51 pm
@farmerman,
And they and you and Scorsese fans all have their opinions. That was mine.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 10:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Remember another demographic is made up of young Americans two generations of whom dont even know who Jimmy Hoffa was.

I knew very little about Jimmy Hoffa prior to seeing The Irishman. Afterwards? Jimmy Hoffa must have been a bloody idiot. He could had so many chances to save his scrawny ass. Kind of playing with fire but dumping 10 truckloads of dynamite on a bonfire while he was 5 feet away from whole thing.

What were we supposed to learn from The Irishman? It's a film that could have had 30+ minutes shaved off of it. Great acting and script. Not so sure it needs to be seen at the movie theater. I rated it an 8/10.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 11:00 pm
@farmerman,
Don't get me started about how many people think the 'iron curtain' is something the dentist throws over your torso when they X-ray your teeth. ((I know it's lead.......that's another sore point))
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 11:29 pm
Just finished watching Yesterday, about the Beatles and their songs disappearing from the world save in the mind of one obscure musician (and a couple of Boomer fans) who chooses his girlfriend over fame and fortune through plagiarism of the songs. The personal sub-theme with the girlfriend was weak and unconvincing. The larger Beatles songs theme made up for that weakness.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 12:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
...The Irishman

In my odd form of preparing for this, I watched Mean Streets (1973) which was Scorsese directed and contained Keitel, DeNiro. Figure to see The Irishman within the week.