The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm
@Lash,
I rented the disc from Netflix, er, DVD.com.

Sam Rockwell was awesome, as well.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:47 pm
@chai2,
What a twist. Very good movie.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

What a twist. Very good movie.

Twist?

That we must conform to the "normal" way of life, the "first comes love, then comes marriage, then come Georgie with a baby carriage"?

I thought it was crap, pandering to viewers who want to see someone become just as bored and resigned to their existence as they are.

The relationships he is exposed to are either based on "I had it all planned out, but it isn't working out that way", "I guess I'll settle for this" or based on deception. Yet he becomes convinced these lives of quiet desperation are better than the meaningful work, interesting life and high standard of living he enjoys.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:32 pm
@chai2,
Edit

At the end of the movie I wanted to say to George...."Jesus, looked what you barely escaped"!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:36 pm
@chai2,
Wow. I didn't read into it nearly as much.

The twist I'm referring to was when George's character turns out to be "the other guy."

What I got out of the movie was that George is a true professional. The girl he mentored represented an automation of the service industry, what with her employment termination project--firing by video conference--which fails miserably. I saw the movie as just another reminder that life isn't all peachy all of the time no matter the air travel perks one might have, and situations present themselves to remind one of that. They slap the self-satisfaction out of one, but in the end one perseveres and gets over the valleys in life. George, a little more sober, flies off into the sky to continue being the best damned employment termination professional that he can be.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 03:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Wow. I didn't read into it nearly as much.

The twist I'm referring to was when George's character turns out to be "the other guy."

Oh I saw that coming from the start. I knew from the start she was married.

Yes I agree that he was a professional, and also what the girl represented. That's part of what I meant that she didn't know **** about life. She thought she could just tell someone via video conference they no longer had a job, and that it would just always follow the script of "read the package" Just like she had the mistaken belief that her life would be a...b....c. She gets degree, gets good job, gets boyfriend.....then comes marriage by 26, first child by 28, 2nd child by 29, 30 at the latest, all while continuing her march up the corporate ladder. When someone getting fired didn't follow her script (she minored in pychology after all), she had no idea how to deal with it.

He was the person in the movie that most had his **** together.

Every other person in the movie was messed up to one degree or another. Polly Prissy Pants didn't know how life worked yet, and thought it would go per some check off list
One sister was already dealing with a failed marriage.
The other, well she was marrying because "that's what you do"....to a guy that turns out wasn't sure. In the end he gives up and just does what you're "supposed" to do.

The fellow traveler? I actually had no problem with her. She was able to compartmentalize her life successfully. I'm not going to judge.

If it wasn't for the fact he had to go to this wedding, and stupidly asked his fellow traveler to go with him, things would have been fine. Why did he ask her? Well because when talking to either drunk or hung over Polly Prissy Pants over her text ended relationship, he temporarily got a case of the saddies, wondering for a moment if he was missing out on something. Didn't help when his travel friend chimed in, looking off wistfully and saying the word "children".

George should, at that moment, thought how PPP was not a particularly good life role model, gone for a jog or a swim, then had a nice steak and martini before going to sleep in a great bed with clean sheets.

When PPP started crying in the lobby over her text breakup, that would have been Georges signal to tell her to go lie down, and get away from that whole mess.

There were other bullet points for the life script view to latch onto. One was the "what will he do without children" emotion brought on when travel buddy mentions the word...Then there was the "who will take care of you?" threat. Well, the same people who took care of my parents, which weren't btw, the other members of his family either.

Are airline points and perks everything? Of course not. But following some more sanctioned path isn't either.

I felt bad at the end that George might not be able to see past the bullet he dodged, and will from now on always wonder what he was missing. For his personality, he wasn't missing anything at all.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 04:40 am
@InfraBlue,
Thanks!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 02:26 pm
@chai2,
From the way it ends, the setup is ready for the sequel.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 03:13 pm
Maybe we should have included a spoiler alert.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2018 04:42 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

From the way it ends, the setup is ready for the sequel.

I sure hope not.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 02:37 pm
Last night, PBS ran Whiplash as their second (and usually lesser known) movie. Interesting and rather brutal.

With J. K. Simmons as a music band leader/instructor and his group of (for lack of a better description), victims. Miles Teller as a new student in the group, a drummer. the Simmons character is a bit scary but does it with good intention as a way to bring out the best of each student.

Great acting across the board.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 04:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Yeah, I saw the movie. J k Simmons did an excellent and professional job as he always does. Miles teller's performance was ...
... not quite my tempo. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2018 04:57 pm
@jcboy,
I knew Detroit was a basket case, but there was a time when I walked in downtown Detroit, and I felt safe. Even stayed at the Cadillac Hotel.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 07:12 pm
Watched the original "Westworld" last night was not to bad now ready to get into the tv series.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 03:46 am
@Agent1741,
Watched "The Black Panther". It was totally for 12 yer olds. I found it poorly done wwith bad continuity and editing. Too much spent on CGI and nt enough on a good story.
0 Replies

royS123

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 03:51 am
@Paaskynen,
I SEEN BOLLYWOOD MOVE RAZZI
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 09:59 am
@royS123,
royS123 wrote:

I SEEN BOLLYWOOD MOVE RAZZI

Are you yellin' your post because you love or really hate ... um... Raazi (2018)?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:36 am
@tsarstepan,
As I type, I'm watching 'It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World'. I can't believe how many comedians and entertainers and other notables are in this film.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:10 am
@glitterbag,
My youngest has just got into James Bond, saw Never Say Never Again last night.

There was a very strange, and very dated, scene where all the beautiful people at a charitable function were playing arcade games like Space Invaders.

http://www.dustindye.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/MovieNever-Say-Never-Again-1983_03.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:37 am
@izzythepush,
Dang (sorry) I love James Bond films.....especially Sean Connery..........I'm so old I remember Pong.