The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Builder

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:51 am
The Island 2005 Ewan MacGregor and Scarlet Johannsen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZyNJ3cKfEg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 06:02 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

(Kong: Skull Island) is not a remake.
This Kong movie is an original movie with a new original plot.
It has nothing to do with the stories of previous and past King Kong movies.

Oh, thanks didn't know that. I generally root for the species other than man, so if he gets to live or even win, I might watch.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 06:17 am
@snood,
I watched Kong: Skull Island. I liked the special effects. Seemed like it was looking for a story to tell, but couldn't find one.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Turkey Day:
Coco (2017) , 9/10. Beautiful music and astonishing visuals.

Friday:
Lady Bird (2017), 9/10. Looking for screenplay and two acting nominations during Oscar season for this one. The directing debut by Greta Gerwig makes her a dark horse option for the direction.

Later that day:
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 DOCUMENTARY): 8/10. Great to see the director and the producer (sister and brother team) at the Q and A for this one.

Sunday:
Call Me by Your Name (2017), 8/10;
Darkest Hour (2017), 9/10.
Both have Oscar nominations waiting in the wing for their respective lead actors. But to me? So far? Gary Oldman's Winston Churchill just might be the lock of the year to win the lead actor Oscar.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I think K of Skull Island had a waay to go before it could tell a tale worth following. We got it via streaming and I fell asleep somehere in the middle. Apparently I did not miss anything my wife said. She took a pic of me and the cat konked out on the couch .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:44 am
@snood,
The only diff about this "Kong of skull..." was that Kong didnt die in this one and the island didnt sink (I think)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 DOCUMENTARY): 8/10. Great to see the director and the producer (sister and brother team) at the Q and A for this one.

this is the winner for me out of your set - partly because I thought it was fabulous and partly because I only watch documentaries
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 12:36 pm
@glitterbag,
There is a Delmonico's in Mexico City. Alas, I don't remember if we ate there or if I just read about it, a long time ago now.
I don't suppose they show movies..
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 02:27 am
Last movie I saw on DVD was 'Me, Earl and the Dying Girl'. That was about a week ago now I think. It was an interesting movie, the winner of the Sundance festival in 2015 I believe.

Interesting take on an old story: boy makes little spoof films for a hobby with his best friend, Earl. He's a bit of an outsider in school. His mother kind of forces him to visit a girl in his class, who's dying from leukemia.

It's been labelled as a Comedy-Drama, and I can see why, although at a certain point there's more drama than comedy IMHO. But given the story, that's no surprise...
Lash

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 07:24 am
@najmelliw,
I thought this was exceptionally well done. My classes analyzed it, and it was good material for directorial presentation of a story and characterizations.

Talking about cliques ruled the day.

Respect the research!

0 Replies

Squally5

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 08:36 am
@barrythemod,
the last movie i watched was "One Piece Film Gold" the third time.

the movies i loved were:
every One Piece Movie
every Mission Impossible
every Matrix

Movies that i hated:
Disaster Movie
Manos the hand of fate

And i prefer Netflix over Amazon Prime Very Happy
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 06:31 pm
Go see The Post. It's an excellent movie and also an important history lesson about freedom of the press. We are currently living under a President who is as corrupt as Nixon but also significantly stupider which makes him dangerous.

Nixon declared the press his "enemies" and called them "fake news" long before Trump did. We know he did. We have the tapes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 02:07 am
Throw Momma from the Train. Still brilliant.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:30 am
Escape to the Country on Netflix. I’m binge-ing episodes primarily for the geography/history of the British counties being considered by prospective home buyers. It is beautiful country, and it’s fun adding a few British colloquialisms to my vocabulary.

Found out The Detectorists is filming a third season!!!

High Maintenance on HBOGO features a revolving cast centered around their experience/s with a drug dealer. Reminds me of Easy on Netflix- very likable casts, revolving vignettes of people in Chicago.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:42 am
@Lash,
You may like this, historical two parter shown on the BBC over Christmas. I liked it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09lgqs7
Lash

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:48 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2018 03:32 pm
I finally saw this movie and I highly recommend it. It's very intense, very violent and totally heartbreaking. Not all stories have happy endings... Especially the true stories that we are still in the midst of today. We can't pretend that this is ancient history when many of the people who lived this truth are still breathing. The saddest part is that the white people who need to see this film the most will probably never elect to watch it. It's available on Hulu.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2018 04:31 pm
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Great dramedy. Frances McDormand deserves all of her accolades for her performance.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 07:43 am
@InfraBlue,
Where’d you find it? I haven’t seen it available on streaming services yet.

❤️McDormand!
chai2

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:50 am
Last night watched sappy lifescript movie "Up in the Air"

George Clooney profession is a Corporate Downsizing Expert....he fires people.

He thoroughly enjoys his life. He loves the continuous air travel, staying in business hotels, living well on his expense account. He never has to be concerned with mundane things such as household bills, cooking, cleaning etc. He doesn't even need an apartment as he only has 42 non travel days a year. He even, at the beginning of the movie, meets a fellow frequent traveler with whom he enjoys intelligent conversation, companionship, and bed partner when their travel paths cross.

Oh.....but we can't have that, can we? He must be shown the error of his ways of him thinking he is happy. He must be punished for having a job that informs people of their loss of their job. Even though he didn't make the decision to terminate them, has no background on their job performance, and was no part of the decision process for any particular business to downsize.

What follows is him learning through a Polly Prissy Pants he is more or less forced to mentor, who is about 23, recent graduate, who knows jack **** about life, and his sister, who is about to be married in Butt Hump Wisconsin, how empty his life is.

Never mind Polly Prissy Pants bf breaks up w/ her via text, her sisters husband to be at the last minute wants to back out of the wedding (George is the one who talks him into going through with it). We must not have these negative representations of relationships cloud our knowledge that George cannot possibly be happy. He gets so caught up in the glamour of renting a VFW hall for a cheesey wedding scene, and having a dance with his travel F*ck Buddy (who he invited to the wedding as his plus one), he decides to surprise the woman by unexpectedly visiting her at her Chicago home.

Can't you just hear the future wedding bells and pitter patter of tiny feet?

Predictably, he shows up at the house, where through the open door when she answers it, you see/hear small children running around, and a male voice saying "Who is it honey?"

Woman is later on unapologetic during a call she makes to him, basically asking him "What did you expect? This was a road thing. The other thing is my real life"

In the end, Polly Prissy Pants quits because she, quite frankly doesn't have what it takes to do the job (someone she fired committed suicide). But this is not before she, his frumpy family (another sister also doesn't have a good track record with marriage, but hey, who cares about that), wheedles the fantasy of settling down into his head.

In the end, it shows him again at an airport, sadder but wiser, with a resigned look on his face once he has learned that having a good income in a professional he's suited for, with all of his physical needs attended to professionally, where there is no shortage of social interaction is simply a sham, and his life is a meaningless void.

Just what the guy deserves for not having an interest is marriage, children, or Hamburger Helper.