The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 08:31 pm
@Builder,
I'll try it. Thanks!

Driver and Damon were not half bad together in Good Will Hunting.
Builder

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 02:58 am
@Lash,
I had a five year hiatus from mainstream life, just hobo-ing around the nation, living rough, and avoiding society's chattels.

Many movies slipped by in that time.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:06 pm
Last night the local city channel ran Reaching For The Moon. A 1930 film with Douglas Fairbanks. A standard love story deal. Fairbanks's character wants a girlfriend, he is not good at going about this, someone helps, he and the young lady fall in love, the stock market crashes, he this is she won't want anything to do with him...

I like Fairbanks's movies, especially the silents, such as The Black Pirate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:13 pm
@Lash,
Not my usual fare, but I really enjoyed Hunky Dory.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 06:16 pm
I watched about 20 minutes of American Horror Story and it made me mad, just like the first season did (with the school shooting). I cannot support the glorification of such things. It's just nauseating to me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2017 08:27 am
Beatriz at Dinner starring Salma Hayek and John Lithgow. Hayek plays Beatriz, a holistic healer/masseuse whose car breaks down after a massage session at the opulent home of one of her clients. It's billed as the first black comedy in the age of Trump, but I didn't find the humor. She clashes with the Trump-like real-estate mogul at dinner. I was hoping for at least a symbolic victory where she told the bastard off and he got a taste of the pain and harm him and men like him cause, but no such luck. It ends in the artsy-fartsy way I hate - driving everyone to emotional open territory - and then running the credits. The overall effect this movie had on me was depressing. At least Salma Hayek is very effective in this part (and very naturally beautiful at age 51).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:40 am
"Total Eclipse"
with Leonardo DiCaprio

An excellent biographical film about the tortured, tumultuous affair between poets Paul Verlaine and Arthur Rimbaud. Rimbaud was only 16 when he responds to an invitation by Verlaine to visit him in Paris.
Rimbaud writes for three years changing the face of poetry.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 10:13 am
@coluber2001,
I didn't know about this movie. I will make a note to try and watch it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 06:29 pm
Nerve
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nerve_2016/

I was just looking for something with a bit of mindless no-plot violence and almost passed it over even then. But I gave it a chance, and while it wasn't much in the way of the mindless no-plot violence that I was originally looking for, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had a decent plot and was actually a pretty good movie. Probably not something that would ever win best picture at the Oscars, but really a nice little story overall.

I'd watch it again/play it for friends.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 08:50 pm
@oralloy,
Vee Delmonico??? Ill bet she has a steak in the movie box office
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:53 am
David Tennant has just been cast as Scrooge Mc Duck.

It won't be easy, making his genuine Scots accent sound like Scrooge's fake one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

That was the lead character's first name. I didn't get the last name.

Did you hear that Steve Bannon gets 1% of all advertising revenue from Seinfeld reruns?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2017 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ouch!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 07:42 am
@glitterbag,
Sunday night:
Boss Baby (2017): Pretty terrible animated movie (with some ... as expected great animation). Voice acting pretty darn good (not a surprise given the cast).

But otherwise a pretty crappy story with a expected sharty ending. Not going to be a Razzie contender as I expected (and my only reason for actually watching this dullish flick).

Don't bother watching unless you have it running in the background while you do household chores while it plays.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 12:02 am
I just finished watching the movie (Kong: Skull Island).
I watched it on HBO. It is a fast pace, up tempo, and high intensity movie.
The movie constantly kept me on the edge of my seat.
Overall the movie was very enjoyable, exciting, and adventurous.
panzade

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 08:26 am
@Real Music,
Wonderful on the big screen.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 12:29 pm
It looked good in the adverts, but I can't watch Kong remakes. They always end sad.
Lash

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 01:37 pm
Success!

Looks like Amazon has finally added a slew of new movies.

Off to Trader Joe’s, and back home to The Lovers. Not crazy about Debra Winger, but Aiden Gillen popped up in the supporting cast.

(Nods)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 04:17 pm
It sucked. Aiden was hot, though—just in a vacuous role in a dithering slop of film.

I just finished binge-ing Downton Abbey over the past couple of weeks.

I’m getting really old. I laughed at the ...repartee ... between Dame Maggie Smith and that churlish auld sod who plays Isobel.

I liked it.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 07:58 pm
@snood,
(Kong: Skull Island) is not a remake.
This Kong movie is an original movie with a new original plot.
It has nothing to do with the stories of previous and past King Kong movies.