The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 09:50 am
Ozark is awesome. Hapless Jason Bateman in a quirky but gritty story with a Breaking Bad vibe.

A Netflix original.

The script isn't quite as tight as BB, but not too bad.

Question: The GOT writers announced they're following their blockbuster with Confederate. There seems to be an uproar. Roots was incredibly popular across racial groups. Is this hyperbolic political correctness, or should the series not be made?
snood

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 12:42 pm
@Lash,
I just watched S1 E1 of Ozark, not knowing what to expect. Wow - powerful drama. I've always liked Bateman and Linney. I just hope I can find more redeeming qualities to like about their characters. I tend to drift away if I can't root for someone.

Been reading about the Confederate series. Can't say I'll be anxious to catch it when and if it debuts. I don't have any particular gripe with them making a fantasy about "what if the South had won?". I think I might understand some of the angst of those that do.
Lash

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:52 pm
@snood,
A few episodes into Ozark, and I'm still interested, but you're right about the empathy deficit toward the main characters.

I'd tried The Man in High Castle - the What If of WWII, but lost interest after about four episodes. I may go back.

Confederate seems like a mine field, but I'll probably give it a look. The creators are brilliant. Hopefully, they'll think about what they're doing. It's a pretty bad time in America for a Tarentino-esque romp through slavery.

Builder

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 04:52 am
@Lash,
Terminator. Haven't seen it in yonks
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 03:48 pm
I've been having a craving for watching a movie about murderous rednecks or hillbillies and the only movie that came to mind was "Deliverance", or I could just search youtube for an old taping of "The Republican Convention". Razz
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 04:10 pm
@jcboy,
I love the dueling banjos sequence.
jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 05:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I love the dueling banjos sequence.

I did too but the kid with no teeth kind of bothered me Cool
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 08:30 pm
Enjoyed a quiet little piece, Local Hero. Formulaic, but what isn't?

I liked it.

Netflix.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2017 09:42 pm
Gifted is about an uncle raising a little girl who it turns out is a math genius. Very good drama. I'd never seen Chris Evans (Captain America) actually act. Good warm drama.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:14 am
@snood,
Chris Evans shown some decent acting chops in The Perfect Score (2004) and Snowpiercer (2013).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 08:07 am
Insecure is a really funny series about millennial relationships and friendships in LA, starring Issa Rae Diop. I'm hooked. I find this on HBOGO.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 08:53 am
@Lash,
I watched the pilot of Insecure and maybe the second or third episode. It's funny and well meaning. Don't feel too compelled to continue at this point.
Lash

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 07:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, and I don't waste time if I don't have some kind of hook, so I get it.

I was somehow pulled into her relationship with Lawrence, her friendship with Molly, and her odd relationship with co-workers.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 01:13 am
Watched 'Captain Phillips' again tonight. I still find it pulse pounding even though everyone knows the story and the outcome.
0 Replies

Lydia Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:00 pm
Some documentaries about polar bears, don't know the name

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 06:36 pm
Trying out the hundredth iteration of The Seven Samurai, but this one has Denzel. So, hopeful.
Builder

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 07:23 pm
@Lash,
The Firm with Tom Cruise.

Seen it before, but not for ages.
Lash

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 07:34 pm
@Builder,
Yeah. Once, many years ago. It held my interest.

I feel like a chump for staying with the movie. I was thinking of re-watching The Accountant, but that feels lame, too.

Scouting around.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 07:45 pm
Oooo. Think I'm hitting on Hunky Dory; theatre teacher Minnie Driver putting on David Bowie-driven play in South Wales.
Builder

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 08:14 pm
@Lash,
Minnie Driver. I haven't heard that name forever. She was with Tom Cruise, from memory.

Did you catch the documentary, Inside Job, about the crime of the century, Lash?

It's a Sony production, and very well-researched.

Narrated by Matt Damon. Worth a look, if you haven't already seen it.

https://vimeo.com/20853241