The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Kolyo

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 09:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like the faint blue text under "spoiler warning".

Hopefully that catches on. It's readable enough if you really want to see it, yet there's no way you read it by accident.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:28 am
Loved this movie, watched it last night on Netflix, even better, it's really Bob the cat in the movie! Highly recommend.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:33 am
@jcboy,
Damnit JC. Mad Rolling Eyes Didn't expect to be slapped with the feels on that one. I'll watch it at home this week. ((sigh))
jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
You'll love it, I may watch it again tonight Cool
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:35 am
@jcboy,

Also, did you read the novel which the Leftovers is based? It's not a particularly long one. Really loved the character driven drama. Lots of unexpected sympathetic characters. Will eventually get around to watching the series.
jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Not yet, I just stumbled across it while browsing Netflix. Never even heard of it until last night.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 10:38 am
I bought the DVD, "The Old Gringo" with Gregory Peck and Jane Fonda. Gregory Peck plays writer Ambrose Bierce in the latest, most cynically resigned period of his life. In 1913 he proclaims that for an American to go to Mexico at this time is suicide. This is during the Mexican Revolution. He goes and is never heard from again. This is a totally fictionalized account of the last days of his life in Mexico.

He joins the revolution. The Fonda character is a spinster who goes to Mexico at the same time to fill a position as governess to the children of the wealthy Miranda family, which, so happens, is on the run from the revolution.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 05:19 am
Just saw LaLa Land last night. Well...................it was nicely done, but I really don't know what the excitement was all about. Maybe you would get better effects in the movies, but on DVD I think that something was lost.

I also think that this movie would attract a young crowd who is into jazz. Personally, I couldn't relate.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 05:56 pm
Disney Movie Update: Home on the Range is without a doubt the worst Disney animated feature film. Meet the Robinsons was mostly crap, like Chicken Little, and then enjoyable for a few minutes. I'm down to just 1 film from the animated feature canon (not counting package films released during WWII): Bolt. I've heard it's ok. We shall see, but not this weekend.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:25 pm

best doc from the past couple of days of Hot Docs volunteer shifts

absolutely not what I expected

it was marvellous

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/the-grown-ups-review-1201924620/

it will be on PBS in September

http://www.pbs.org/pov/thegrownups/

____

The Rat Film - about racism and rats in Baltimore was good but more tv-worthy than film-worthy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-documentary-rat-film-explores-baltimore-s-rodent-problem-20170314-story.html

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/rat-film-review-theo-anthony-locarno-film-festival-2016-1201715583/
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 10:13 am
Last week we saw Manchester By The Sea. It was just ok, I don't get what the big deal was. Why all the awards?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 11:27 am
Just recently on TV was shown a 2002 release of "Igby Goes Down," starring Kieran Culkin, brother of the Home Alone kid. Kieran resembles a cross between Robert Downey jr. and Bud Cort of Harold and Maude fame. Curiously, the movie is a sort of cross between Harold and Maude and Catcher in the Rye. A 17 year old boy with a rich and distant mother drops out of school and goes on his own.

It's a lost and forgotten award-winning little gem of a movie that can be had for a song on eBay.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 11:34 am
@coluber2001,
Really loved it back in the day. Anything with Jeff Goldblum. Love the 'Blum.

Cruising Amazon Prime for something today. I see a bad review for Manchester by the Sea. Was going to try it. Hmm. I'll report back.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 11:59 am
@Lash,
The Jeff Goldblum character was a scary, sick-with-power Trump-like character. Also, Igby's brother was developing into the same sort whom Igby referred to as a Republican fascist.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 07:48 pm
@coluber2001,
Definitely. And their portrayals were on point, I thought.

I hope you don't dislike an actor because of the behavior of his character. I've been enjoying you so much.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 07:52 pm
@jcboy,
I gave Manchester by the Sea about 15 minutes. Didn't want to stay with it.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 08:24 pm
@Lash,
Jeff Goldblum is a brilliant actor as evidenced by his believable portrayal of sleazy characters. Another role was as a crooked gambler in Silverado. I know I've seen him in other films, but I can't recall any. Surely he plays positive characters as well.

And thank you for your compliment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 12:45 pm
@Lash,
So I was attracted to resume Manchester. It became almost unbearably sad.

It's a bit of a character study amid pretty horrific conditions. I love Kyle Chandler.
0 Replies

BarbroIsaksson

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 04:39 am
@barrythemod,
Tarzan .
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 10:39 am
@BarbroIsaksson,
Admiral Nimitz.
Visited his museum in Fredericksburg TX many years ago where they have a nuclear bomb on display that I worked with while in the USAF (Strategic Air Command) in the late fifties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Man
Also met Bob Brodsky many years later on a trip to Mexico. He's the one who designed the aerodynamics on that bomb. He also taught Astronautics at USC and Iowa State University. We kept in touch for many years until his passing.
https://www.claremont-courier.com/articles/obituaries/t19823-brodsky-obit
My last assignment was at Walker AFB in New Mexico for 18 months.
0 Replies