208

The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

3  
Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 02:31 am
well, I taped MST3K (which is being shown on COMET TV, a cable network service of NBC). I watched "Teen Agers From Outer Space" and the"Invasion of the Giant Leeches".
SOmetimes more is not better. I got it with the first movie. (No matter how idiotic the Riff tracking was, it got tired with 2 really dumb movies back to back). Its the original MST3K (I guess they DID archive it)

Joey Albinson

2  
Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:41 am
@barrythemod,
I watched Speed with my 16-year-old daughter. She enjoyed the movie.

jcboy

4  
Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:45 pm
I finally saw Moonlight and I was genuinely surprised and sort of touched that it turned out to be a love story in the end. I don't know why but I expected a gay version of Precious. I expected to be depressed. It was actually kind of healing.
Sturgis

1  
Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:22 pm
Last night I saw Within The Whirlwind on The City College Channel. Based on the book of the same name, it's an autobiographical portrait of Russian poet/author (Y)Evegenia Ginsberg (sometimes Anglicized as Eugenia), and her time in a soviet Gulag. Quite gripping.

panzade

2  
Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@jcboy,
It's in the local theater still so on your recommendation I'll go see it Wed night.
jcboy

2  
Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 06:21 pm
@panzade,
Enjoy, I thought it was a great movie!

I need recommendations for hourlong shows (40+ minutes without commercials) to watch on Netflix while doing cardio. I've already finished watching Stranger Things, House of Cards, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, Better Call Saul, every Star Trek series, and The West Wing. I'm currently watching Dark Matter. I find Black Mirror too boring for cardio and I'm just about done with it anyway. Ugh. I might have to subject myself to The X-Files just because it has 9 seasons.

2  
Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 01:19 am
@jcboy,
BBC stuff tends to be an hour long, (no adverts.) I really enjoyed Taboo, last night I saw the first episode of SS-GB about the UK post Nazi invasion, 1941. I'm enjoying it so far but it's only the 1st episode.
Thomas33

1  
Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:50 am
One of the last movies I saw was Inferno, which was so bad that I rooted for the villains.

jcboy

2  
Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 06:36 pm
So I've been watching The Man in the High Castle lately.

There are a lot of omniscient warnings to be heeded. They even call their revolution "The Resistance" Cool

jcboy

1  
Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 06:49 pm
Thank you Izzy, I love watching new shows on the BBC.

2  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:45 am
@jcboy,
There's one episode of SS GB left to go, it's very gripping but really quite depressing. London under Nazi rule isn't very nice.

This is the trailer for Taboo.

snood

1  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:27 am
I saw Dr Strange. I'm a big Marvel Comics guy, so kind of a stickler about how they are rendered in movies. This one? Meh.

1  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:44 am
@snood,
I liked it, thought the special effects were really good.
snood

2  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:12 am
izzythepush wrote:

I actually wasn't that bad. I think I might have over-expected a little bit because I was a YUGE Stephen Strange fan as a kid. The cloak of levitation; the Dread Dormammu: The Eye of Agamotto - YES!!!

1  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:31 am
@snood,
It would have helped if they'd explained how Sherlock Holmes became a doctor.
snood

2  
Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:56 am
lol
jcboy

1  
Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 05:46 pm
@snood,
We found this movie on Netflix called the fundamentals of caring, probably one of the best movies I've seen in quite sometime.

snood

1  
Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 06:36 pm
@jcboy,
Whatzit about?
jcboy

1  
Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 07:01 pm
@snood,
You would probably like it, we've watched it three times now.

The Fundamentals of Caring

Ben (Paul Rudd) is a retired writer, who lost his son three years ago when Ben parked his car on their steep driveway and the car suddenly rolled down impacting his son, and whose wife is trying to divorce him, but he refuses to return the signed documents. Needing a new job, he takes a six-week course to become a caregiver. He gets a job from an English woman named Elsa (Jennifer Ehle), a registered caregiver and bank manager, whose 18-year-old son Trevor (Craig Roberts) has paralysis. Trevor is a sardonic, anxious boy with a fascination with American roadside attractions, and Ben suggests one day that they go to see some of them. Trevor initially refuses, and Elsa worries Ben is becoming too close to him, as Trevor's father left when he was diagnosed, only sending him letters throughout the years. Ben soon finds himself hounded by a court tracker hired by his wife and avoids his visits.

Eventually, Elsa agrees with Ben's road trip plan, and he and Trevor embark on a journey to the world's deepest pit. On the way there, Trevor says he wants to see his father, who owns a car dealership in Salt Lake City. Stopping at a gas station, the two meet a girl Trevor's age named Dot (Selena Gomez), who Trevor develops a crush on. When they encounter her again at a diner later on, they see her attempting to hitchhike, and Ben decides to give her a ride. Dot informs them on the way that she is heading to Denver to restart her life, and that her mother has died. As the three bond, especially she and Trevor, Ben notices a car that has been following them, and tells the two of it at a motel. He believes it is someone sent by his wife.

Further down the highway, the three find a pregnant woman named Peaches (Megan Ferguson), whose car has broken down. She is heading to live with her mother before the baby comes, as the father is currently on his second U.S. military tour. They give her a ride as well, and when they stop for the night, Trevor asks Dot on a date, which she accepts, and the two go to the diner across the street from them. Ben and Peaches watch through from the motel through the diner window, and can see it is going well. The next day, the four make it to Trevor's father's car dealership. When he meets with his dad, he informs Trevor he never wrote him letters, and that it was his mother this whole time, and his father stays distant. Outraged, Trevor berates Ben and tells him he wishes to go home, but Dot insists they continue to the world's deepest pit.

The group eventually makes it there, in awe of the abyss. Trevor, Dot, and Peaches head to the bottom, but Ben notices the car that's been following them. He walks over, and finds it's not his wife's tracker, but Dot's father, who wishes to make sure she's safe. Ben then receives a call from Dot, who tells him to quickly come down. When he sees a crowd gathered at the bottom of the pit, he worries and finds Peaches has gone into labor. Despite being tormented by the memory of his son's death, he successfully helps deliver the baby. Peaches thanks him as she and her newborn son are taken to the hospital. In the parking lot, Dot sees her father and walks up to him, the two reconciling. When she comes back, she tells the two she wishes to go the rest of the journey with her father, and the three say their goodbyes, Dot kissing Trevor before she leaves, promising they'll text. With the assistance of the ambulance staff, Trevor gets to fulfill his wish peeing standing over the pit railing.

Ben and Trevor make it home safely, and having finally coped with the loss of his son, Ben meets his estranged wife and gives her the divorce papers. He continues writing, his next novel being about Trevor. He narrates his writing the last few lines, informing the audience that he eventually quit as Trevor's caregiver, but the two remained friends. On Trevor's 21st birthday, Ben went into his room only to find Trevor lying on the floor and his new caregiver crying on the floor next to him. Only to find out Trevor was faking. The caregiver quit the next day
snood

2  
Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 07:58 pm
@jcboy,
Wow. Pretty heavy drama.
You would probably like it

-It's possible...