The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Lash

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 02:24 am
@Phoenix32890,
I agree. This film is an enchanting piece of art. I taught the novel, and we had several artistic projects related to theme and symbolism. The film lent itself so well to those concepts.

Ang Lee, right? Mesmerizing!
0 Replies

trichakra

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:18 am
Last time i watched the avengers movie. I have watched this movie more than 10 time and i love this movie.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:24 pm
I just saw the movie "Creed" on cable tv a couple of nights ago. It was an okay movie.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:57 am
@Real Music,
Stallone definitely did not deserve his sadsack pity Oscar nomination.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 09:57 am
I have been watching the 1969 version of "The Forsyte Saga". I had seen it years ago, but had forgotten how good it was. It was one of the first T.V. miniseries on public television.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 09:31 am
The Revenant. I almost loved it, except the unrelenting grim nature of every scene wore me down. The bear attack was the most realistic such scene I have seen.
snood

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:47 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Revenant. I almost loved it, except the unrelenting grim nature of every scene wore me down. The bear attack was the most realistic such scene I have seen.

That's pretty good - I just started watching it, too! I had to fast forward through the worst of the bear attack. Too much for me. I'm watching it in sections, because I can only take so much of the intense grimness at a time.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 01:04 pm
@snood,
I watched "the Drop", the other night. It's a 2014 film about a neighborhood bar being used as a temporary bank by criminals and the ordinary folks who look the other way. It's full of surprises, subtle but satisfying, and I've watched it 3 times in the last week.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 02:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Three times in a week~? Wow, it must be super good. I gotta go look for it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:04 pm
@glitterbag,
I just watched it. Good story. I thought the ending was a little artsy/weak.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:17 pm
@snood,
Really!! For me it was the detective's last words to Bob. It's not a pulse pounder, it a story about survivors in a crappy world.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 03:43 pm
@glitterbag,
My roommate recommended it this morning. Said James Gandolfini was superb.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:52 pm
@panzade,
I loved Galdofini in this flick, his portrayal of a thug trying to recapture the glory days (and his glory days were not all that glorious) was satisfying to me.....but I knew people like those characters even if only at a distance....they were hard to ignore, even if you didn't engage.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 07:45 am
@glitterbag,
Watched Hell or Highwater (2016), a well constructed crime movie about RobinHoodish bank robbers. A great balance of pathos, comedy, and drama. Great acting by the 4 major actors. Wouldn't be surprised to see this one pop up during Oscar season.
panzade

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Tip o' the hat.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:48 pm
Just watched Jane Got A Gun with Natalie Portman. It's a good Western and if you love a strong woman lead role Portman is something to see. Good guys, bad guys, love, betrayal, revenge - good stuff!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:04 pm
@panzade,
Saw Bridge on the River Kwai with Alec Guinness last night on tv. Must've been about the 5th or 6th time, but I still enjoyed it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 07:21 pm
That's a good one, CI.
I watched the latest installment of Star Wars yesterday. There were only a few scenes that really held my interest. I hope the next episode breaks new ground with a really good story line.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 02:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Saw Bridge on the River Kwai with Alec Guinness last night on tv. Must've been about the 5th or 6th time, but I still enjoyed it.

Damn, that's one of my favorites.....love Alec Guinness. Watched Patton Saturday night, I've mixed feelings about Patton but he was one hell of a general. They cropped some scenes from the film, but I didn't really mind....it's a long movie and the deleted scenes didn't screw up the flow.

It's incredible to me that our fathers and grandfathers endured all that suffering to keep the world free of tyranny. Im not just patting GI's on the back because many citizens from many country's waged war against the Axis, Europe suffered greatly but fought bravely and thank God for their efforts.
panzade

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:12 am
@glitterbag,
Yes, and it's startling that the bulk of the dying for the Allies was done by 18 and 19 year olds.
0 Replies